Author Topic: Turbo plenum  (Read 106232 times)

McRat

Re: Turbo plenum
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2008, 07:49:45 AM »
How much was the gate?

MSRP around 400$.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0705_turp_synchronic_wastegate/index.html

Through all the BS they talk about with their different design the unit really does a good job (a friend has used these gates with great results) and has some advantages to other gates. There was a reason why I opted for this wastegate as apposed to a Tial or other.

I can change my boost settings without having to use a boost controller or use different springs.
To me, on the salt this may prove to be very helpful.

We will see.

-JH

That looks like a great piece.  Thanks for the link!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2008, 11:21:29 AM »
the waste gate co makes fuel pressure regulators also---saw a presentation at SEMA 2 years ago
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline joea

« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2008, 11:34:09 AM »
this is going to be interesting...........

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2008, 12:52:51 PM »
Interesting… the word that comes to my mind is hilarious.!...
kr

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »
Kent, I pizz you off?

You got something to say, man up.

-JH
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 03:41:34 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »
one of the main things that is intresting about their fuel pressure systems compared to and electric Fuel pressure controler----not Near as subject to fuel rail Harmonics---virtually no seat chatter---affects emmisions more than any thing
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

McRat

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2008, 03:52:28 PM »
Jonny, how many cc's is your engine?

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »
Jonny, how many cc's is your engine?

Currently he is 1,299cc and has plans to take it out to 1,510 cc I think...

Offline joea

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2008, 04:29:49 PM »
if jonny takes it out to 1500 cc it is going to be real interesting........

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2008, 04:30:04 PM »
JH,

Invest in a BOV and install it before you realise you need it...oh and you may want to look at either a larger engine and or a smaller turbo as well... :wink:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »
JH,

Invest in a BOV and install it before you realise you need it...oh and you may want to look at either a larger engine and or a smaller turbo as well... :wink:

Ok I'm trying to understand what you guys are hinting at as I'll be looking for a turbo for one of these sooner or later, so I'd appreciate comments on the following.

From formulas I have (not saying they are correct):

1500 cc with a PR of 2 at 11,000 rpm would need 37 lb/min and the T70 compressor will give you about 50 lb./min at a PR of 2, so with about 15 lbs. of boost a lot would have to go out the waste gate.  Right or wrong?

1500 cc with a PR of 3 at 11,000 rpm would need 55 lb/min and the T70 compressor will give you about 60-70 lb./min at a PR of 3, so with about 30 lbs of boost it gets closer to being sized right.  Right or wrong?

Next can the busa run at 30 lbs. of boost on the long course given the fact that you would be using an ice water intercooler?

Come on guys how about some specifics?

...... and thanks,

Sum
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:33:31 PM by Sumner »

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »
This turbo is large but will work on a busa motor. I know several people running them, making good numbers (said to not spool until 7K but then it is supposed to come on very strong). I have 2-T3s and a T28

I am currently in negotiations for a 2JZ-GTE, depending on how this goes I will be using 2 T70s.
I opted for this turbo because of the motor(s) to come.

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

*Andres Segovia

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2008, 05:45:41 PM »
http://www.hayabusa.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TC%5FEX%5FST&Show=TechSpecs

Same turbo

-JH

So you are showing us that the kit in the link uses a BOV and runs a plenum with a nice radius..?

JH,

The "several people" that you refer to as running the same turbo most likely have never set foot on a surface other than either asphalt and or concrete with that turbo..

I think you will have success with whatever you build I just see that you stated before you needed only to make a small amount of boost..then it was to go at speeds >250mph.?

I am sure you will run faster with the turbo than without however it is about engine size, plenum volume, turbo size/inlet temps etc..I know you know about this already however I look forward to your results like others just seems like a big ol turbo.. :-D

Are you going to run a water to air set up..?  If so how big since you have more room in a car than on a bike...

J

PS. Tell "Pinky" hello...

McRat

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »
Is there a compressor map for this charger?

Running "too big" (is there such a thing?) a charger means you need watch out for compressor stall, "surging".  Just a few seconds worth can destroy the charger.  On the map, there is a surge line, and if you try to operate to the left of the line, you have big problem.  It's not subtle, you'll know it when it happens.  It usually rears it's ugly head just as the boost starts to climb.  You'll feel the vibration and the sound will change dramatically, you need to downshift ASAP.

As long as your racing RPM range is all to the right of the line, no problem you can't drive around.  But if you grab the next gear, and it surges as the RPM falls into the next gear, it will be hard to accelerate. 

BOV's have uses, but peak boost control should be left to wastegates.  Sure it will work, but you will run higher turbo wheel RPM, and you are wasting HP.  Your drive pressure stays up and doesn't drop like a wastegate will.  BOV's can be used to kill surging on shifting, aka "turbo bark", but won't stop surging at WOT at the low end of your RPM, only a different turbo setup or shot of nitrous will fix it.

I've learned what I know about turbos through trial and error using 19 different turbos (heavy on the error), but then again, it's a large displacement diesel engine, not a DOHC race engine.  I'm never under 30psi, and I use big, mostly ungated chargers.  So take what I post with a grain of salt, this is the interwebbythingy after all.  :-D