Author Topic: Turbo plenum  (Read 106046 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Turbo plenum
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2008, 12:20:52 PM »
Jonny,

Ditch the single clamps for the throttle bodies to head mounting and run two clamps per cylinder.. and listen to those smarter than me (that would be about everyone here..Shhhhhh)

Point made.

THe only issue I have (or ever had) with having 2 clamps is the lip on the TBs is only about 1/4 wide. If I used a standard width clamp there would still be a section of the clamp that crossed over the TBs to the plenum....the same as I have now with the exception that there would be a clamp higher up as well.
Is it a common practice to re-use the very narrow ganged stock clamps?
Is there a narrow clamp that is commonly used for this?
Should I not worry if a section of the lower clamp is "crossing over"?

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline maj

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »
Wurth have a narrow clamp.

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2008, 08:39:11 PM »
JH-
  I use Breeze clamps, all stainless construction with a 5/16" band width.  I use both sizes below depending on material/silicone hose used for plenum to T-Body.

PN    Minimum "   Minimum mm    Max "     Max mm
3732   1-15/16          49            2-1/2        64
3636   2-3/16            56            2-3/4        70
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2008, 09:26:43 PM »
Working the billet fuel rail blank:

Finished multi-angle:

Secondaries in top:

Front view:

-JH

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »
Parts arrived today!

50mm gate and T70 turbo

I knew it was going to be big....I didnt relize how big until I opened the box!!

*Andres Segovia

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2008, 08:07:12 PM »
Parts arrived today!

50mm gate and T70 turbo

I knew it was going to be big....I didnt relize how big until I opened the box!!

Great!1

Now you can run over 250 at the next event ! !!  :cheers:

McRat

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »
What's that about, a 2.5" inducer dia (bore in the middle)?  If so, that's about a GT3788R size.  Would be aimed at roughly a 2 liter engine at 9000rpm running 20PSI boost.

No MWE groove, but you aren't running it on the street, so no biggie.  All it does is reduce surging at lower rpms.

Is that a blow-off-valve or a wastegate?

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2008, 08:47:17 PM »
Now you can run over 250 at the next event

Maybe if I put the motor in this.

Only put about 400 miles on it this summer.
I keep tellin myself it would sure be easier to get this in and out of the trailer.

What's that about, a 2.5" inducer dia (bore in the middle)?  If so, that's about a GT3788R size.  Would be aimed at roughly a 2 liter engine at 9000rpm running 20PSI boost.

No MWE groove, but you aren't running it on the street, so no biggie.  All it does is reduce surging at lower rpms.

Is that a blow-off-valve or a wastegate?

inducer is 2.7".
1.3L running 11K (15-30 psi) and making in the 600+HP range (I decided to go balls out).

No MWE, not running on street (about a 45' turing radi)

Its a gate, I dont think I will run a bov unless someone says I should.

-JH

*Andres Segovia

McRat

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »
DOH!  You even posted it was a wastegate, but I guess my reading skills need work.

How much was the gate?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »
 mcrat  what size turbo would i need to fit on a 1000cc pushrod motor --i shift it now at 7000 rpm but would like to drop that to 6000 rpm --on gas it makes 80 hp --on nitrous it makes 112 hp  --the motor is 10 to 1 compression --i figure i need around 120 hp in the blown gas class    thanke  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2008, 10:06:46 PM »
mcrat  what size turbo would i need to fit on a 1000cc pushrod motor --i shift it now at 7000 rpm but would like to drop that to 6000 rpm --on gas it makes 80 hp --on nitrous it makes 112 hp  --the motor is 10 to 1 compression --i figure i need around 120 hp in the blown gas class    thanke  willie buchta

Hijack in progress!  :-D

If you make 80 on gas at sea level, 120hp will take you ~9PSI boost in thin air like Bonneville or El Mirage.  So you want a wide map, and good low-pressure ratio performance.  It will consume about 10lb of air a minute.  If I was setting it up, I'd go with a GT1544 Garrett, wastegated.  I don't think they are expensive, they are plain bearing with the wastegate built in, IIRC.  If it's another brand, you are looking for a compressor inducer size of ~1.3".  That charger size will pull hard from 3000 to 9000 with it's best efficiency at about 6000, assuming 8-10PSI boost.

IMO, your results may vary.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:12:12 PM by McRat »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2008, 10:23:45 PM »
thanks   --sorry about the hijack --------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2008, 11:17:09 PM »
How much was the gate?

MSRP around 400$.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0705_turp_synchronic_wastegate/index.html

Through all the BS they talk about with their different design the unit really does a good job (a friend has used these gates with great results) and has some advantages to other gates. There was a reason why I opted for this wastegate as apposed to a Tial or other.

I can change my boost settings without having to use a boost controller or use different springs.
To me, on the salt this may prove to be very helpful.

We will see.

-JH

*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »
Willie, you can hijack my threads at any time.

If you or anyone has any questions relating to or about that may be helpful to you or others hijack away.

-JH

*Andres Segovia

Offline Andy Cooke

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2008, 06:44:46 AM »
ooh, you've done it now :-D When that thing kicks in it'll make your eyes go big. :-o

I think you'll need to rev it a bit more than 11K to get it into the island, that is a big compressor.  The thing I didn't like, and still don't, is that the turbine is relatively small (compared to the compressor, compressor exducer 3.85", turbine inducer 2.89"), but that's my gut instinct, and I obviously haven't tried it. 

With your old target I was guessing that you'd want a pr of 2.4, what are you looking at now, in the 3.5 area? :mrgreen:

Which exhaust housing did you go for?

I'll bet that wee turbo you had a speed week looks kinda silly now :-D

have fun, Andy