Author Topic: Turbo plenum  (Read 106305 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Turbo plenum
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2008, 04:36:14 PM »
Dean, a 100 psi  :? , hell, the 50 will probably kill him.... 
JNuts, don't pressure that thing above 20 unless you need the scare of your life.  20 X total square inches the box, do the math, don't even consider  50 to 100 unless you borrow the container from the bomb squad.  With any luck it will just pop a seam...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline maj

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »
+1
When i tested mine at 35psi i did it from a distance, lots of square inches there...
Put a hole in a dyno room wall one time when a BOV blew off  at 30 psi, biggest air rifle pellet i ever seen... :-o

Quick and simple bead to secure hoses is to run the tig around the bottom of the tube , it makes a small bead that rolls over the edge a little, then use a clamp that fits above the bead .

McRat

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
... Learned that the hard way. Nothing like having 30 psi boost at 9,000 rpm and having the hose blow off. It took about 3 days to go back to regular breathing.  :-o

I had a 3" line blow off at ~50PSIG at the 1000' marker at LACR, and even from the starting line it sounded like a 30-06 rifle.  I thought it was a rod going through the block.  Nope, but the flying clamp went through the fender liner.  I was beaded and using a high quality clamp, but apparently did not check the clamps often enough.  They get loose over time from the expansion and contraction.  If possible, use the clamps that have a spring in them so if they start to get loose, they maintain at least some tension.  I guess I should also safety wire the clamps to they can't fall on the track, but that's on my "list of things to do".

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2008, 08:16:32 PM »
I am including overkill metal tie down bars that connect the box to the motor on all sides.
Really the only thing the silicone tubes between the plenum and tbs are to prevent leaks.
I never meant to say that the boots would be how the plenum would be attached to the motor.

As far as I can see it, as long as the plenum can not move away the motor via the hold downs the silicone connectors will be adequate. Am I wrong to think so?

Also,
Given the lowish psi numbers I will be making, and the fact that the thing will get used about 30 miles every other year I don’t have a lot of concerns that the thing will come apart.

I studied a few other plenums out there before I built this one and IMO this is far stronger than the standard off the shelf unit that comes with most every “stage 1” kit I have seen.

This is a pic of the NT2 plenum, and one that I used for design cues.
Same material thickness, more surface area, more welds, more corners and more boost.

If my plenum comes apart….I will blame Rick!  :-D

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »
As far as I can see it, as long as the plenum can not move away the motor via the hold downs the silicone connectors will be adequate. Am I wrong to think so?

Yes. Another reason for putting a bead on the tubing (or groove or hair spray) is also to prevent the silicone from creeping out from under the clamp.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »
Don't ever pressure test any container with compressed air-- if it ruptures it may do so with explosive force. It is far safer to pressurize a container with water; since water is not compressible the stored energy is very low so a tank rupture simply results in a water leak, not a sudden explosive release of compressed air (stored energy). I think that welding tanks, etc are hydrostaticly tested.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline gazza414

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »
Don't ever pressure test any container with compressed air-- if it ruptures it may do so with explosive force. It is far safer to pressurize a container with water; since water is not compressible the stored energy is very low so a tank rupture simply results in a water leak, not a sudden explosive release of compressed air (stored energy). I think that welding tanks, etc are hydrostaticly tested.

Exactly Neil, the safest proceedure.

all rated pressure vessels are done this way

a dye in the water will help trace the leak visually...although not the easiest to see at times where shapes are complicated and difficult to see the source...ie intercooler cores.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice

Online jl222

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2008, 05:57:18 PM »
Dean, a 100 psi  :? , hell, the 50 will probably kill him.... 
JNuts, don't pressure that thing above 20 unless you need the scare of your life.  20 X total square inches the box, do the math, don't even consider  50 to 100 unless you borrow the container from the bomb squad.  With any luck it will just pop a seam...  :|
[/quote

Being round must change the equation as a lot of air tanks hold a lot more pressure,such as my portable air tank made out of thin metal '130'psi.
   Our old intercooler box 19 x19x1/4 with 5'' rounded sides and 3 holddown studs in the middle never had a problem including a backfire that blew off one of our centrifugals blowers. After that happend we installed a burst panel like they use on top fuel cars. 32 psi max pressure seen normally from blowers.

On the other hand a seam opened up on our intercooler at Bville this year aproximately 16 x 19 x5 x3/16 on bottom tank .We didnt realize it had happend as the shiffter air line rubbed against the hot intake tube to the intercooler and started
making a lot of noise. One reason seam opened up is we had removed panel to epoxy water leak and welded new panel in but could not weld inside as in others.

JL222

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »
Being round must change the equation as a lot

A round pressure vessel relies on the strength of materials. A square/rectangular vessel relies on the strength of the corners. They don't make square airplanes for this reason.

Not to mention that pressure vessels are designed. Not to ding JH but there was no design criteria here, just seat of the pants. If this was a gas tank or coolant overflow then when it cracked you would have a leak. On a pressure system you have the potential for an explosive release of stored energy.

Offline comp

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2008, 09:34:58 PM »
Use contact paper and make it look like tree bark.

that would be interesting  :-D

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2008, 12:30:06 AM »

I put 2 inlets in the box, inlets splitting the TBs evenly.
I figured this would be better than one inlet on the far left side as I was going to do.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:31:51 AM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Online jl222

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2008, 01:00:03 AM »
   JH

It was good meeting you at Bville this Aug. You might look into the small round burst panels that Wilson Manifolds make like in the spacer under our intake elbow on the 222 camaro. These are replaceable if they blow out [with new ones] but i don't know if they sell the bungs they screw into.
  When i was looking for new intercoolers i noticed that one manufacture welded straps and angle stock over seams so burst seams must be a common problem. Chisel Performance .com i believe.

Good luck JL222

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2008, 01:28:21 AM »

I put 2 inlets in the box, inlets splitting the TBs evenly.
I figured this would be better than one inlet on the far left side as I was going to do.

Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny,

Ditch the single clamps for the throttle bodies to head mounting and run two clamps per cylinder.. and listen to those smarter than me (that would be about everyone here..Shhhhhh)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »
Posted by: John Noonan
and listen to those smarter than me (that would be about everyone here..Shhhhhh)

Temptation
temp·ta·tion       /tɛmpˈteɪʃən/
1.   the act of tempting; enticement or allurement.
2.   something that tempts, entices, or allures.
3.   the fact or state of being tempted, esp. to evil.  :evil:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2008, 11:30:39 AM »
Fire away it's all good, I love coming here and learning better from others mistakes than my own.. :cheers: