Author Topic: Turbo plenum  (Read 106221 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: Turbo plenum
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
Yup - small fabricated triangular box sections weighing almost nothing can be very helpful.
Some commercial aluminum surplus and remnant extrusions like this (1 X 1 X 1" triangle sold by the foot) can be simply pop-riveted from inside a panel.
Since the width of the panel is the weak point, the rib need not be full length, I suspect there's good math for how long is minimum for good effect but I'm sure even 2/3 is very good (centered in the unsupported span).

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2008, 05:39:01 PM »

LOOK WHAT ARRIVED TODAY!!!!! :-D
A presision Turbo PT-2400 intercooler. The guy I got this from said that it once belonged to Cruz Pentragon on a turbo project drag car he owned.

The intercooler is in very good shape and the inlets are so big that if I wanted to put a restrictor (as discussed earlier) to speed the air through the core it would be really easy.

This was purchased on Ebay.....got it for much less than what its worth, sometimes you get lucky that way (I have had some bad luck as well).

-ALSO-

For whatever reason I keep getting myself in trouble with my wife by photographing parts in the kitchen. I always get rid of the evidence before she gets home but somehow she always finds out…..again I never learn!

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline joea

« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
hey...if she can have nice granite countertops.....
you can have an intercooler thingy......

besides your  stuff is  used  off ebay, hers was new
and really expensive...

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2008, 09:24:54 PM »
I can relate to that. I get a new "thingies" :roll: for my my bike and she gets a new kitchen.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

racin jason

« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2008, 10:43:03 PM »
Shoot you guys got off lucky i had to redo the whole house!
Cheaper than a divorce :-) then again just about everything is cheaper than the big D.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2008, 10:58:07 PM »
Yup

saltfever

« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2008, 12:44:40 AM »
Really nice cutting board, Jonny. What are you going to do with that ugly lunch box!  :-D

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2008, 12:38:48 PM »
You guys have no idea how accurate you are. We purchased a house about 3 years ago on the court house steps. The house should have been demoed, the house was destroyed...no room in the house was livable, full of bullet holes and drug needles stuffed in holes kicked in walls. For whatever reason at the time I thought it would be a piece of cake to do. 3 years later I am still working Packard near every weekend on doing something. The only good that came from this is that we purchased it for 80 and it recently appraised for just over 400, still doesn’t feel like enough after all I have had to do and still need too!

Before:

Just got through knocking out the wall behind the sink and am now tearing up the old counter/ cabinets.

After:

(note the hole in the wall by the door, still the same and one of my honey doos!)

Floor:

This is the floor where I had to cut a 5'X24" hole in to lower a new oil tank after filling the old tank with 275 gallons of heating oil and finding it had a pee stream leak. The previous owners started to do excavation on the outside to access the foundation. I had assumed that it was to add outside access to the basement. I know now what it was for.....thankfully the floor before this was 4 layers of nasty vinyl flooring.

Every weekend I am working on some project of this house....its getting better now but there is still so much to do.

BTW:
The granite counters only set me back about 1200$ (not so bad for 3-8' sections and backsplashes).....the tools to work the granite....thats another story!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:43:48 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »
Wow J !!!!

Wanna come to my house?!!  I'm kinda tired of my 1922 kitchen!! (house)!!  Yours looks fantastic!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2008, 01:56:18 PM »
Johnny,
That is an INTERCOOLER!!!! Just the mass of it alone would probably cool you turbo outlet charge for a couple of minutes! The fabrications does show that the fabricator has pretty big respect for high pressure on large flat panels.

Like your house too.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2008, 07:57:10 AM »
Johnny,

I need a recomendation for a fuel pump. I will run thus car in the spring at Maxton with a stock Hayabusa, later it will be turbo charged. I was considering buying the in line pump recommended by Velocity for there Stage 1 turbo and with a pressure regulator I could serve both purposes, but is that a good idea? What did you use and what would you recommend? What fuel pressure did you run normaly aspirated?

Thank you for the help,

Bruce Harmon

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »
Bruce, we are using a Walbro, the other option is the Bosch.  I would suggest finding one with threaded ends so that you can put AN fittings on it and not use a clamped rubber hose. 
Word of experience, supply more electricity than  required, under load these can draw 20+ amps, so use large supply wires.  We had an issue squeezing all the little electrons through too small of a hole.... :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2008, 11:53:11 AM »
Bruce, we are using a Walbro, the other option is the Bosch. ............. :-o

I went with the Bosch after it was noted that other racers commonly have these, so the idea of a spare appealed to me.  In anticipation of EFI on my truck I also put one on my truck this past spring and it is the same pump, pre-filter and post filter I'm using on the lakester.  I carry the lakester pump with me in the pickup as a spare in case I would need one on a trip.  I got my pumps and filters from these guys.....

http://www.jayracing.com/

......... they had good prices and sent it right away.

I also considered the Walbro and it looked like a good pump also, I just liked the Bosch for my pickup as I put a lot of miles on it.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2008, 12:45:25 PM »
Both the Bosch 44 and Walbro are lightweight, good pumps and compact in size.
This makes them very desirable for bike applications.
If the motor is going in a busa powered vehicle (non bike) you have a much larger range of pumps to choose from.

We used a Mallory 4060FI
 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MAA%2D4060FI&N=700+400249+115&autoview=sku

WIth a Mallory 4305M fuel pressure regulator
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MAA%2D4305M&N=700+400249+115&autoview=sku

This pump is something you would never see on a bike but worked very well for our 1507 motor.
We ran stock injectors @ 55-60 psi. We did have a lean condition and was the reason I didnt put the car out again to qualify on the long (and to really see what it would do) and we have attributed this to running low voltage to the fuel pump (everything runs on batteries). To correct this problem we are going to use 16v batteries next year.

Also.....

60 psi is maxing out the duty for our current pump and will be using the Aeromotive 11101 this coming SW.

I will make you a sweet deal on the Mallory pump and regulator or I have a Walbro pump that we are not going to use. If you are interested let me know…if not they will make fine back up pumps incase the Aeromotive stops working.

*Andres Segovia

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2008, 10:42:11 PM »
If you are going to run EFI----put an alt. on it ---you will never regrett it
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!