Author Topic: Turbo plenum  (Read 106231 times)

Offline Andy Cooke

Re: Turbo plenum
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »
I think the HKS SSBOV is designed more for it's noise than it's function. 

btw, there is more than enough anecdotal evidence that a BOV slows down pickup after a gearchange, although that may not always be the case.  I wouldn't take it as read that a BOV=better post shift pickup.

Andy

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
As far as blow off valves go I would only use a Tial. You may be space limited and a Tial is a much larger unit, but it is much higher quality.

Just some info here- If anyone goes with the smaller Tial wastegates and you intend to run racegas get the wastegate that is compatible, or if you have one already call Tial up and order a new valve that is safe with racegas, it's not hard to change.
The reason you need this valve is the standard one may stick causing no boost or no boost control = kaboom.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2008, 12:34:07 PM »
Is there a reason I see most turbo plenums made from aluminum rather than steel?
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2008, 01:11:51 PM »
randy
if your thinkin turbo Harley... you should use black cast iron sewer pipe then it would match the looks of your cylinders. :-o
kent
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:28:07 AM by 1212FBGS »

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2008, 03:00:25 PM »
randy
if your thinkin turbo Harley... you should use black cast iron sewer pip then it would match the looks of your cylinders. :-o
kent

lmfao :-o

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2008, 12:44:40 AM »
randy
if your thinkin turbo Harley... you should use black cast iron sewer pip then it would match the looks of your cylinders. :-o
kent

Kent,

Put down the "pip" and and go back to building the electric bike..I need another bike to ride this weekend... :-D

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2008, 01:20:13 AM »
whats a "pip"?

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2008, 01:23:23 AM »
whats a "pip"?

I think he meant pipe..........

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2008, 01:29:15 AM »
whats a "pip"?

I think he meant pipe..........
I was copying what Kent posted... :mrgreen:

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »
OK, let me ask this again since this is a thread about turbo plenums...Is there a reason I see most turbo plenums made from aluminum rather than steel?

BTW...kent, I'm not using axtell cylinders. :?
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »
This was sorta discussed earlier.

A flat sided pressure vessel can develop an unreal amount of pressure per square inch. So much pressure that it can split a plenum. The thickness of the material used in the plenum gives it more structural stiffness. A comparable thickness of steel would definitely start to add massive weight. My plenum currently is deceptively heavy, much more than I thought it would be, and it is made of ¼” 5052 aluminum plate. If this same plenum was made from like steel it would weigh (est) 30 pounds (its like 16 now).

Steel would be fine if you were going to make a rounded plenum….its the flat surfaces you need to worry about!

I hear of guys using things like 3.5” exhaust pipe with a thick base plate for busa plenums and they should work.

BTW:

Here is where I got my fuel rail blanks and also have a bunch of pre made stuff for building your own plenum, including pre cast plenum sections, bells, injector bungs and just about anything you need to make a plenum for anything in a few hours. I would of used a bunch more of this stuff if I knew about them before I started!!!
My order from these guys was perfect and I would recommend them.

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »
Thanks for the info JH, I appreciate the response.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline maj

« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
First plenum i built for my busa was steel, worked fine, you can get similar strength with much thinner material compared to aluminium so in the end steel can be only a little heavier. i think the main reason aluminium is used on a basic plenum is cosmetic. more complicated designs with intercoolers attached need the aluminium more to join to .

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2008, 06:46:12 PM »
The steel vs. aluminum argument is about 75 years old: "aluminum is stronger than steel, pound for pound", but that's tensile strength, and not for the same material volume. An aluminum piece can have the same strength with some weight saving, but it must be larger.
Resistance to an explosion is strength (although shape deformation during the 1st few microseconds will localize stress, and the local intensity will be higher in steel).
There's an advantage to aluminum in that the (required) larger material thickness permits threads where steel would be too thin.

For stiffness, steel is the only choice - for the same length or thickness or diameter (your choice) the Young's modulus of steel (any) is about 3 times as high as aluminum: 30 vs. 10 (× 10^6). The steel piece can be 1/3 the size with the same thickness or length, and considerably smaller (ooppss- corrected) diameter.

Vizard cautions against aluminum in favor of steel for intake parts due to heat transfer - but that's for an underhood environment where the ambient may exceed 180° F. Much less a concern with LSR. Possible exception where the plenum's charge temp is much higher than ambient, since it will cool slightly by radiation and convection and should be flat black. Any intake plumbing that goes near the exhaust or exhaust wash should be steel, plated, coated or painted a light color, and wrapped!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:04:48 PM by panic »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #179 on: November 12, 2008, 01:41:05 PM »
Stiffening ribs work well to minimize deflection while keeping weight down-- whether aluminum or steel.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ