Author Topic: Turbo plenum  (Read 106313 times)

Offline maj

Re: Turbo plenum
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »
Intercoolers make good strainers.... :-D

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
I thought that a copper up pipe would look sweet and the pre made fittings should flow very well and have many degree and radius options to snake it anywhere it needs to go. I have plenty of pipe to do the entire system from the turbo, through the intercooler and into the plenum. * I wouldn’t necessarily recommend anyone else using copper from a cost factor, I had a few 12'X2-1/8" sections lying around and figured it should be put to use…If I had to buy this pipe today I would be looking somewhere else.

Once I get the motor in car I will sweat the fittings and polish the pipes up. The motor in the pic is one of our backups and will soon be getting broken down to get it ready for big HP…..it is a bit dirty and looks bad but is nice to do pre fitment of the turbo stuff.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline willieworld

« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2008, 06:40:20 PM »
jonny   nice work --used what you had and it looks good too    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline bald1

• neald
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Looks great!  Now I have  to gp engine turn something.
neald

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2008, 01:40:28 PM »
JH,

If you run the pistons we "spoke" about it will raise the head mouting holes up about .070"-.080" from stock, keep that in mind when planning for the Turbo build..

J

Super Kaz

« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2008, 05:26:40 PM »
Is there a compressor map for this charger?

Running "too big" (is there such a thing?) a charger means you need watch out for compressor stall, "surging".  Just a few seconds worth can destroy the charger.  On the map, there is a surge line, and if you try to operate to the left of the line, you have big problem.  It's not subtle, you'll know it when it happens.  It usually rears it's ugly head just as the boost starts to climb.  You'll feel the vibration and the sound will change dramatically, you need to downshift ASAP.

As long as your racing RPM range is all to the right of the line, no problem you can't drive around.  But if you grab the next gear, and it surges as the RPM falls into the next gear, it will be hard to accelerate. 

BOV's have uses, but peak boost control should be left to wastegates.  Sure it will work, but you will run higher turbo wheel RPM, and you are wasting HP.  Your drive pressure stays up and doesn't drop like a wastegate will.  BOV's can be used to kill surging on shifting, aka "turbo bark", but won't stop surging at WOT at the low end of your RPM, only a different turbo setup or shot of nitrous will fix it.

I've learned what I know about turbos through trial and error using 19 different turbos (heavy on the error), but then again, it's a large displacement diesel engine, not a DOHC race engine.  I'm never under 30psi, and I use big, mostly ungated chargers.  So take what I post with a grain of salt, this is the interwebbythingy after all.  :-D

I thought I was hard on shiznesel :-o:-o You need and 6.0 Part's? :wink:

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2008, 10:26:19 PM »
Mr Nuts:  what engine management will you be running on this setup?  your build progress and pics are very cool!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2008, 10:42:17 PM »
Mr Nuts:  what engine management will you be running on this setup?  your build progress and pics are very cool!

Thanks,

I use the piggy back Bazzaz FI self mapping injection controller and will likely be using MegaSqurit for the secondary injectors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have an idea on what size L to A intercooler I should use?
I see companies say "700 HP" or "1000 HP" but are these sizes based on cooling needs for normal ambient temps?

Because B-ville is already hot should I use an intercooler rated at a higher HP rating based on the already hot temps?
I am going to use a separate water tank with ice....no Co2 or dry ice.

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2008, 10:45:28 AM »
That would be my guess: heat rejection ~ D1^4 ÷ D2^4 in absolute temp, so the difference between 100° F ambient (actual) and 70° F (design) is (460+100)^4 ÷ (460+70)^4, or 983 ÷ 789, or 1.246.
Assuming equal efficiency, you need +25% capacity for the higher temperature.
The reduced air density at Bonneville also reduces efficiency, I would guess in direct propotion to the altitude, so roughly 29.92 (sea level) ÷ 25.64 (4,214 elevation) = 1.167.
If true, the combined factors total about +45%.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2008, 12:18:43 PM »
Topic Summary
Posted on: Today at 09:45:28 AMPosted by: panic 
Insert Quote
That would be my guess: heat rejection ~ D1^4 ÷ D2^4 in absolute temp, so the difference between 100° F ambient (actual) and 70° F (design) is (460+100)^4 ÷ (460+70)^4, or 983 ÷ 789, or 1.246.
Assuming equal efficiency, you need +25% capacity for the higher temperature.
The reduced air density at Bonneville also reduces efficiency, I would guess in direct propotion to the altitude, so roughly 29.92 (sea level) ÷ 25.64 (4,214 elevation) = 1.167.
If true, the combined factors total about +45%. 

Whatever you get paid.....its not enough!

THanks

-JH

*Andres Segovia

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2008, 12:31:21 PM »
yep gonna have to agree with ya on this one nutz.... so panic, you easily come up with all kinds of wild but usefull formulas, cool... some kinda hurt my gord... but do you actually use a slide rule for your day job?... i took a wild azz guess and got lucky on this one i put 2 1000hp intercoolers on my liner... kinda right in line with panics formula  :-D
kent

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2008, 12:40:01 PM »
Is there a problem with going well overkill for the cooler.
For instance, lets say I use one that is rated at 2K HP....my real HP will never be over 650.
Because the intercooler is being fed from a water tank with ice is there any issues with running a cooler this much bigger (meaning the ice tank wont over cool the intake charge, even at 100% efficiency it wont cool more than the water in the tank).

just wondering if I should target a cooler in the 1000 HP range or is it ok to run one bigger than needed (looking for the future).

*Andres Segovia

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »
Not an expert!! :-D!!!  I would think your trade off might be some additional pressure drop (Maybe) but you should gain by having additional btu cooling reserve from the additionl mass that has been precooled. :-P how you feed the cooling water will be important.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »
..............just wondering if I should target a cooler in the 1000 HP range or is it ok to run one bigger than needed (looking for the future)........

I think the advice you are seeking was there in the previous post.

......... i took a wild azz guess and got lucky on this one i put 2 1000hp intercoolers on my liner... kinda right in line with panics formula  :-D
kent

The only thing to think about though is, are you going to make more HP than Kent is?

c ya,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2008, 02:46:33 PM »
Quote from: Jonny Hotnuts on Today at 11:40:01 AM
..............just wondering if I should target a cooler in the 1000 HP range or is it ok to run one bigger than needed (looking for the future)........

I think the advice you are seeking was there in the previous post.

I see info about running a bigger compressor but not bigger intercooler.

The only thing to think about though is, are you going to make more HP than Kent is?

c ya,

Sum, come on!!!!

Suzuki Vs. Kawa?

No contest!
(joke Kent)

I dont know how much HP KR is making but I am building the motor for 6ish.

-JH

*Andres Segovia