Author Topic: Gas just topped $5.25 per gal in NC  (Read 13111 times)

dwarner

Re: Gas just topped $5.25 per gal in NC
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 10:12:36 PM »
OK, you talked me into it. I will not go to El Mirage this weekend.

DW

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 10:18:17 PM »
I'm drinking beer by myself?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

landracing

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 12:17:41 AM »
I know it is only for the few 1000 gallons thay had in the tanks, but ya know, hope they sleep well,,,...

Charles

In ground tanks for gas stations are usually 6000 gallon for premium, 6000 for mid grade, and 10000 gallons for regular. If they just got a fuel delivery and they were full, it is a very large margin. Usual markup on fuel isnt that much, you would be suprised on how few pennies they get per gallon.

Thats what we had at a small gas station I used to manage in 1994.

JonAmo

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 07:58:56 AM »
X, I will be there as well, just running on 4 wheels. Race fuel did not go up today !!  woo hoo...

Let's hope for no wind, cool temps and dry Carolina Blue Skies.... That's GO-FAST Weather..

Charles
[/quote  Charles, I look forward to seeing you and that beautiful car of yours. But I hope for a TAIL wind, cool temps and dry Carolina Blue Skies .I need all the help I can get.
 See you soon Eric
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 11:58:59 AM »
 You make pretty much nothing selling gas... maybe 2 or 3 cents a gallon. Remember that the dealer is at the end of a line of many, many middle men that make incrementally more per gallon as you go up the "Food Chain".
 My family owned a Flying "A" station. My mother ran the gas station, and my brother, and I pumped gas... My Dad and Uncle ran the Service Department, Body Shop, Towing Service, plus we had the only Ambulance for 30 miles. The gas station was mostly run as a loss... a good way to get people in to see what a nice shop we had. Try to find a "Service Station" now...

Thank you for buying CITGO here is your Slurpee, and Doritos... Have a nice day! :-D

Smitty

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 12:49:17 PM »
We're in north cedrntal Illinois, westbound on Interstate 80 and only 1,426 miles (if we believe the GPS) from Wendover.  We're going to WoS and the priovate meet, having picked up the nitrous ZX12R from the race shop that rebilt the engine for us.  We run a diesel so don't pay strict attention to gasoline prices, but the last station I saw (through the heavy rain, just ten miles or so ago) showed both gas and diesel a bit uner $4/gallon.  We're paid about 4 bucks for diesel since we left Marquette yesterday, where it was about $4.35/gallon.  Indiana was $3.92, here I'm seeing $3.97, and so on.  Gas is pretty much the same -- although usually a dime or so less than diesel.

I'll watch the prices and post as the trip ensues.  We plan to be in Beautiful Bendover by Monday suppertime.  We'll have both the stocker 14R, that we had at Speedweek, and the nitrous bike, for Wos.

Ta-ta for now.  Still raining at mile marker 65 in I-80 westbound.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 01:07:36 PM »
CNN just posted a line saying crude oil prices fell to below 100 $  per barrel at the fri. closing. Thats about a 30% drop from the highs of just a month ago.  So still, the question being is - Who's taking the consumer to the cleaners with the gas prices not also falling at least 30 % ?
These shenanigans should be remembered come Nov.

Be safe
Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 05:35:01 PM »
Just as a point of reference ... the average markup per gallon is 9% ... Joe

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 05:39:45 PM »
Flying J truckstop, North Des Moines, Iowa, 4.30PM CDT:

Gasoline (87 octane): $3.529/gallon.  Diesel #2: $3.879/gallon.  Coffee:  Free with fill up.  Restrooms:  Clean, as usual in a Flying J.  Weather:  78F, partly/mostly cloudy (but no rain), gentle breezes out of the southwest.  Fuel economy (@62 mph):  about 12-14mpg.  It's been going down today (yesterday we got close to 15), most likely due to the windy rainy weather.  We're hoping for an imrpovement in the next two days.  We're towing the "old" trailer - 8 x 16 x 9' 6" high, with the viewing platform on the top -- which all told makes for some lousy aero.  With the "new" trailer - 6' wide by about 26' long and 7 1/2' high -- we get about half again as much miles per gallon (in other words, around 18mpg).

We'lll stay in Omaha or so tonight -- I'll letcha know about fuel again then.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 07:06:17 PM »
Have a safe trip, Jon.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 10:02:33 PM »
Here we are, safely checked into a nice crack-whore-type motel in Lincoln, Nebraska, for the night.  We fueled in Gretna (half way between Omaha and Lincoln) and gasoline was $3.529/gallon for 87 octane, diesel was $3.899/gallon for #2.  Flying J buffet was $9.95.  There's a Nebraska Cornhokers game in town, so this motel cost me darn near $50 for the night!  Geez Louise, I hope we sleep well.

Tomorrow we get to enjoy the western 2/3 of Nebraska and most of Wyoming.  Woo-hoo, what sight-seeing we'll do -- places like Point of rocks, Wyoming (really -- look it up on a map!).

Good night, all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jarlo

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 10:23:13 PM »
Any time we discuss gas prices and potential gouging you are sure to get lots of traffic on the website: ie, We were in Houston from 8/23 to 8/30; saw gas at no name brand "x" for 3.29, filled the rent-car 1/2 block from the hotel in Sugar Land for $3.35, and topped off 1/2 mile from the turn in place at Hobby for $3.45.
State of Utah is in the "rip-off" mode; best I've found locally was at Costco by Valley Fair Mall in West Valley, just off I-215  at 3500 S.
I caught a $3.61 early in the week, no idea what it might be now, but all the "name" stations are .20 higher.
Folks coming in for WOS, stay safe, weather is just outstanding!
Regards,
 Jim
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:02:54 AM by Jarlo »

Offline Jarlo

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 12:17:26 AM »
Enjoy!
Best you'll see other than Costco in Saltville.

122. MAVERIK COUNTRY STORE #199 - MAVERIK2. MAVERIK COUNTRY STORE #199 - MAVERIK
Regular: $3.61 (9/12/2008)
1707 S 300 W, SALT LAKE CITY, UT
)
(801)487-8211
Map | Places Nearby
Directions To | Directions From

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 02:40:22 PM »
When we left Bendover gas was a little under 4.00 as chaep as just about anywhere in Utah on our route home. By the time I got home 36 hours later gas was 3.38 in S. Texas.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 04:56:33 PM »
SSydney, Nebraska - 2.30 PM MDT, Sunday, 14 September.  Diesel was $3.959 per gallon, gasoline about $3.799.  Wal-Mart had Powerade sport drink for 60 cents/quart and Monster Java (coffee) for $8.48/four pack.

We'll get to Rawlins tonight, SLC and Wendover tomorrow.  Bike inspection-land Tuesday morning.

This morning in the Motel 6 in Greta, Neb, a fellow noticed my race shirt and flamey pants -- and asked about Bonneville.  How'd he even detect me?  Anyway, he and his buddy are from Ontario and headed (on thier bikes) to World of Speed.  First-timers -- you know the story:  "I remember seeing photos in the magazines when I was a kid" and "I know this is one of those places I've got to see before I die" and so on.  Cool -- always glad to share stories with newbies to the salt.  Later on in the drive today those two fellas passed us and waved.  Glad we're towing the trailer with all of the stickers on it -- they might not have noticed the pickup without the extra help from the trailer.

Later --
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com