Author Topic: BLM user fees  (Read 4749 times)

Offline GH

BLM user fees
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
I see on the scta-bni site that the BLM s going to charge a fee. I have never been there and probably will never go, but I was wondering if the Golden Age Passports would get you in free or at a reduced cost? Something to think about.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: BLM user fees
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 01:15:30 PM »
El Mirage is not a national park, This has been a long fight for the users and if the money is used to protect the dry lake bed that's a good thing. Every year a few get on the lake bed when it's wet a do a lot of damage to it with their jacked up trucks and other OFF road vehicles.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 01:55:58 PM »
USER FEES AT EL MIRAGE BEGIN OCT. 1, 2008

Beginning October 1, 2008, the BLM will impose a user fee for El Mirage.

The Normal fees are $15 daily, $30 Weekly, $90 annual. ( Oct.1 to Sept. 30. )

SCTA members may purchase special SCTA annual event passes for use on the day before,  and day of, SCTA  events. The cost is $75.  Those SCTA passes include 2 extra vehicle passes. The $75 passes  will only be sold by the SCTA.

The 2008-09 SCTA passes are good only  on: Oct. 25,26, and Nov. 14,15,16 of 2008.  May 15,16,17,  June 13,14, July 11,12 and Sept. 12,13 of 2009.

Also, the SCTA will sell a $5  "Day of event only" pass for a single support vehicle or patrol vehicle.

$5 support  and SCTA annual passes will be available at the registration trailer.

During the month of September 2008 only , the BLM is selling their normal annual "anytime" passes at a reduced fee of $80. (however there are no extra vehicle passes).  These passes will be available at the pass machine near the visitor center until Sept. 30.

These are BLM fees. The SCTA pass is only good for the days of the event. If you go a day early to do some testing you have to pay $15 extra. These are vehicle fees, so if you can pack a hundred or so support crew in that Penske truck you are good to go.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »
Would a truck hauling a trailer be considered 1 or 2 vehicles?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 03:37:49 PM »
Probably, John -- probably.

I know that when we cross a toll bridge -- we pay for the truck as one unit and for the trailer, per axle, some more money.  I'd still guess, though, the BLM will consider truck and trailer to be one unit.  Lemme know what's the outcome -- I'm mildly curious.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

McRat

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »
My information says $15 a day per highway vehicle; you can tow 25 motorcycles or cars on a trailer and it's still $15.  But if you have pit crew in chase cars, each car is $15 also.  So, if you have a pickup, with a trailer, and inside the trailer is 3 bikes and one car, you pay $15.  If your buddy follows you in his SUV, it's another $15 to him.

You can get a pass from SCTA for $70 for a year, which gets you 3 highway vehicles, but only on event weekends.

For a limited time, the unrestricted annual pass is going to be $80 (through Oct1?) per hwy vehicle.

There is a kiosk at the entrance to get passes, but for the SCTA discount, you must get from SCTA registration booth.

At least that what I remember from the Roadrunner meeting this week.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »
its posted under WHATS NEW   on the SCTA web site       willie buchta   
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 11:49:24 PM »
So why wouldn't the what used to be "golden Eagle" pass,  now called the National Parks and Federal recreational Lands Pass be acceptable for entrance?
.  It says on the pass that it is:
"Valid for entrance or standard amenity fees at federal recreation sites"

and at the bottom it spells out USFWS, NPS, BLM, USFS, & beureau of reclamation.  So I can't see how that pass would not be valid!

The only loophole would be that it spells out not covered "special recreation permits"  so maybe thats their plan -  although doesn't the SCTA pay the rec permit fee because they are the user?
Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

McRat

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »
I called the BLM Barstow office to ask some unrelated questions about El Mirage, and they were friendly and helpful to a fault.

Specifically I asked if I could ride a "red sticker" (two stroke) bike at El Mirage, and they said "Shhh...  While technically we are supposed to restrict bikes to Green Sticker only, we don't care if you have a red sticker instead, as long as you are up-to-date".

Not the typical response I'm used to from gov't officials.

So I would call and ask, you might be pleasantly surprised. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/mirage.html

PS - I won't get into politics too far, but I pay hundreds of dollars in off-road taxes each year, and it seems now I must pay again.  It's not a good precident.  The "green sticker" money is plenty to actual maintain the ORV areas, but they waste the money on other things so they must now charge to actually use the land.  It not the money, it's the contempt our elected officials treat us with that bugs me.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 12:19:08 AM »
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
El Mirage Dry Lake Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/mirage.html

Powerpoint presentation:
Presentation to the Recreation Resource Advisory Council For Fee Implementaion
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/Barstow.Par.96532.File.dat/RRAC%20Presentation-El%20Mirage.ppt

The Friends of El Mirage:
http://www.elmirage.org/
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.