Author Topic: Accident Data Acquisition  (Read 18328 times)

Offline Saltfever

Re: Accident Data Acquisition
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »
Good question. Collecting data for its own sake is useless. There has to be a purpose. LSR is unique. There is no other racing venue with the same environment. Are some forces in LSR different than experienced in other venues? For example, NASCAR not only requires full containment seats due to side impacts but they design in crumple zones primarily for direct impact to the wall or other vehicles. LSR does not have that hazard but we do face a bad landing after taking flight. Are they the same force? Will data show a difference? LSR faces a high speed “pencil roll” possibility. Do others? LSR speeds are higher than any other venue. Are we using criteria established by lower speeds? How can you do FEA on any structure if no actual data exists? 

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
FEA is quite easy with todays computers and software. The problem is figuring out the first impact direction/force and then 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on.

The really bad issue with data collection is being able to sift out bad data from the good.

Sensor placement is critical for the accelerometers to work correctly.
IHMO, to really get the data to have meaning, sync'd video from outside the vehicle would be necessary (not on board).

In the past I have talked with many folks who collect data on race cars. They show me pretty curves and peak points, when asked why they are so slow, they don't have a clue. I worked for multiple days on one car and driver at Mid-Ohio. The only thing that would make the car faster would have been to change the driver. The Data guys just shrugged, the Goodyear rep just smiled and handed me the tire bill.

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 01:15:48 AM »
FEA is quite easy with todays computers and software. The problem is figuring out the first impact direction/force and then 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on.
FEA can't be done without a force and direction . . . (and a few other items like material properties).  As you indicate that is the reason for collecting good data.  :wink: