Author Topic: HT60 Turbo Blankets  (Read 18608 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: HT60 Turbo Blankets
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »
Mike when one is running a dry sump system do you take the turbo oil straight to the to the resivor or to a suction stage of the pump?

Also,  does any one have an idea where to get some turbo compressor maps for some 10-12 year old  turbos?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:35:17 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »
Mike when one is running a dry sump system do you take the turbo oil straight to the to the resivor or to a suction stage of the pump?

Also,  does any one have an idea where to get some turbo compressor maps for some 10-12 year old  turbos?

Bill, all 3 engines had dry sump systems. All of the turbos drained to the pan. I don't think you could/would place the turbo high enough for the oil drain to be able to return to the oil tank, YMMV.

Google is the best sorce I've found for compressor maps but you can also call the maker and ask  :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
Mike I have gotten close with Google and must not have tried the correct #-- yet.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »
A friend of mine right here in Idaho makes turbo blankets for anything you want using the best silica cloth & insulation on the market. His products are sold through many of the performance diesel suppliers & also direct to the public.
His stuff is so good that you can put your hand on a turbo thats just made dyno run & it feels like warm laundry. He also does manifold & header blankets too. His products wont burn, crumble or go brittle like many do.
Send me a pm if you are looking for the best & I'll forward his info, so not to offend the advertising rules here.
You can google his company name to see just how well his product & customer service is & he won't bend you over either.
 McRat, don't you have his stuff on your truck?
   Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »
I guess I might as well state my opinion on the "advertising rules" on the Forum.  Comments like telling us the maker of a great turbo blanket material -- sure as heck would not be an ad nor in any way wrong to have here on the Forum.  It's good to know of stuff that works and how to get it/find it.

If you were to be listing the stuff and running an advertisement (that's been on one of the magazines or on their website) for it, including phone, website URL, hours of operation, the name of the good-looking receptionist that works on Tuesday and Thursday, and the Customer Service hotline -- yeah, then I'd think that the general feeling of the Forum members would be that it's an ad and should be paid for.  But telling us the source of something that's not going to be found at Speedway Motors or Lowe's or whatever - nah, go ahead -- we'll all learn.  Thanks for asking (well, you didn't, but I answered anyway :evil:).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Slim, I was a little unsure & didn't want to step on any toes.
The company is Turbo Performance Products. Levi 208-251-9141.
I can't emphasize just how good his blankets are. Everything on the exhaust side of my streamliner will be covered with his blankets. The headers, up pipes, turbos, wastegates & the stub outs. I would wear a fire suit made out of his stuff if it was legal!
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 05:29:40 AM »
Thanks,  I called LEVI yesterday and I am sure that I will be using some of his stuff---my turbo is close to my Ice water tank--

Offline tauruck

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 11:49:39 PM »
I was thinking the same as these guys, I believe you will need to have a fully enclosed box around the turbos.  One that is sealed and not open to the passenger compartment.  I think there is a requirement that there is no exhaust entry into the pass compartment.  So in effect you would be making a really strange shaped firewall.

Since turbo lag is not a major issue with LSR, how about mounting the turbos back by the rearend, there is an aftermarket company doing that now on street cars.  Sure you lose some of the heat energy, and plumbing may be a bit more work.  But it may be a better alternative than what you are proposing?

Since I am not an expert, you really need to discuss your idea with the SCTA technical group.  Also read the rule book as many times as required until you are sure you understand it.  I am still learning........
This is interesting. I'd really like to know more about mounting the turbos near the rear end in my pickup. There's a lot of wasted space in the load box area. Do you have any other info on that aftermarket company?. It would help to get some ideas etc. Thanks man.

Offline Tman

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Slim, I was a little unsure & didn't want to step on any toes.
The company is Turbo Performance Products. Levi 208-251-9141.
I can't emphasize just how good his blankets are. Everything on the exhaust side of my streamliner will be covered with his blankets. The headers, up pipes, turbos, wastegates & the stub outs. I would wear a fire suit made out of his stuff if it was legal!
  Sid.

Thanks for that info!

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
 McRat, don't you have his stuff on your truck?
   Sid.

I know he has a very good rep in the diesel community.  I would recommend him.

Sorry for the late reply. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:43:43 AM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
I was thinking the same as these guys, I believe you will need to have a fully enclosed box around the turbos.  One that is sealed and not open to the passenger compartment.  I think there is a requirement that there is no exhaust entry into the pass compartment.  So in effect you would be making a really strange shaped firewall.

Since turbo lag is not a major issue with LSR, how about mounting the turbos back by the rearend, there is an aftermarket company doing that now on street cars.  Sure you lose some of the heat energy, and plumbing may be a bit more work.  But it may be a better alternative than what you are proposing?

Since I am not an expert, you really need to discuss your idea with the SCTA technical group.  Also read the rule book as many times as required until you are sure you understand it.  I am still learning........
This is interesting. I'd really like to know more about mounting the turbos near the rear end in my pickup. There's a lot of wasted space in the load box area. Do you have any other info on that aftermarket company?. It would help to get some ideas etc. Thanks man.
The main issue you have when you park a turbo in a strange place is getting the oil out of it & back to the pan or tank so it doesn't go past the seal rings. Theres a quality pump at a good price on Ebay. I have a few of these in my liner to pump the differential's & B&J's, they are a nice piece.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Electric-Oil-Scavenge-Pump-Remote-Low-Rear-Mount-Turbo-Return-Line-12v-/280782665954?hash=item415ff378e2&item=280782665954&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
  Sid.