Author Topic: LSR at Peterson Museum  (Read 10938 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
LSR at Peterson Museum
« on: February 19, 2004, 01:00:00 PM »
Now thru June 1st there is a great display of LSR vehicles at the Peterson Museum in Los Angeles. Don't miss it if in the area. !st time ever this many LSR vehicles on display at one place besides Bonneville.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

spiritofmodesto

Re: LSR at Peterson Museum
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »
How can we get our car involved with this display. We have the XF/GL 119 Spirit of Modesto and would loike to get it done there asap. thanks for any help

Brian
 spiritofmodesto@aol.com

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 03:22:00 PM »
Brian,

This is a long term display, thru June 1st. It has been in the planning & development stages for a least two years. Ron Main was the ramrod on the deal. Every vehicle in the display is currently inactive and must remain at the Peterson until the end of the run.

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 12:59:00 PM »
Wednesday, March 24th
 In conjunction with the dislay Speed-The World's Fastest Cars at the Peterson Automotive Museum, there will be an additional program titled Speed Queens, Women in Land Speed Racing. This program will envolve some of the most prominate women in LSR including Tanis Hammond and Trish Kisner.
 Cost is only $10, seniors $5, childern $3.

Sounds like a good program.

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »
The program at the Peterson,Speed Queens, was a pretty good deal. The turnout was disappointing, maybe 40-45 total. The mid-week date could have been a problem. The show began with Dick Metzer explaining that the display is the first and most complete gathering of LSR vehicles at a museum and that they have had much more interest than they had predicted at first. Louise presented a short slide show which included shots of the World's first piece of ground used for LSR, located in France. There were shots of women at Bonneville and the dry lakes also. Louise included a brief explanation of LSR for the unknowable in the audience.

First up was Gail Phillips, driver and record holder with the POP Motorsports Mod Sports car. Gail included a video and slide show with her presentation. She also commented on their trip to Lake Gairdner.

Gail Kott was next. She spoke about her involvment
 in LSR and other events. She told a funny story about going into labor on the way to El Mirage and the ensuing argument in trying to get her husband Fritz to turn around and get to the hospital. Ask her sometime.

Trisha Kinser was out from the East Coast. She explained how a rookie could get involved with one of the top LSR teams and in 9 runs become a member of the Bonneville 200 MPH club's 300 MPH Chapter and winner of the Hot Rod Magazine's Top Speed of the Meet trophy at last year's Speedweek.

Tanis Hammond was next. She gave a very professional presentation covering the history of the #77 car. What impressed me was how each of these women stressed the family aspect of LSR. They also commented on how once you do this thing you are hooked for the long term. Each of them thanked the volunteers who put on the events.

There was a question and answer session which followed. This went on for much longer than I anticipated. Ron Main provided lite refreshments.

I was sitting next to a couple who had come to the program because they had heard about it from their son but had no exposure to LSR. They were very impressed, not only by the program and the vehicles on display, but by the members of the LSR community in the audience.

The entire program was taped for a future showing on Hot Rod TV.

rdugan

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 02:21:00 PM »
thanks for the report dan.  hope to make it to the next two events.

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 02:18:00 AM »
Thanks Dan for the report. Great to hear about LSR events and racers. See you at the salt,
 Dave Haller #93

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »
LSR FANS: I just got back from the Peterson Exhibit and I must tell you it is MUCH better than I expected. The presentation is great with giant color photos on the walls - race cars everywhere - Al Teague, Vesco Brothers, Red Head, Arfons (cobby) Jet - along with little displays of "stuff" - You will never see these cars in one spot again. If at all possible make the trip - its not to bad traffic wise during the week and the price is right. I know a bunch of work went into putting this on and it all shows - good job guys

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 06:29:00 PM »
Went back to the Peterson Museum today and took 75 pictures of the LSR cars on display. It's going to be over in about 15 days, Better hurry if you want to see it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dad land

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »
my gawd i wish i could see it.....would you share some pics with an east coaster glenn? i'd love to see them since i can't make it in person? and just cause i race with a purple suit wearing/diet coke drinking trouble maker.(ps-he doesn't invite me to dinner as i don't carry enough bail money with me to the track,HA!).....please don't hold that against me! dad