Author Topic: Side Car question  (Read 3792 times)

canadianrocky

Side Car question
« on: September 05, 2008, 03:57:23 PM »
When I was driving my hack (HD Sportster with a Velorex rig) I use to set it up with about a 1/2 inch of toe in, a few degrees of Vertical Lean away from the rig, and set the center of the axel of the sidecar between 25 and 30% forward of the wheelbase of the bike itself (the further forward the better it cornered, but the harder it was to steer)

What numbers should someone be using for straight line top speed racing?

Offline willieworld

Re: Side Car question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:03:13 PM »
hay rockey how are you doing---mine and sheris sidecar bikes we set up as follows--- bike straight up and down---sidecar wheel straight up and down ---sidecar wheel parallel with centerline of bike--if you cant get it that close toe the sidecar wheel in at the front 1/8 in.of the wheelbase of the bike---the way i do all of this is ---put the bike and sidecar on a level surfice---adjust the bike so that it is vertical--i do this with a digital level on the front and rear rim--adjust the sidecar wheel so that it is vertical---make a mark on the bike at the centerline of the bike at the rear axel (on the fender will work) and another one on the front tire above the axel (make sure the front wheel is still vertical) set the toe on the sidecar wheel---i do this with a 8 ft. fluorescent bulb held to the outside of the sidecar wheel --your measurement should be 1/8 in. shorter at the front than it is in the rear--sheri and i run our toe at 0 but you dont want any toe out --if you are going to error do it on the toe in side --its easier than i make it sound--my sidecar wheel weighs about 50 lbs  sheris weighs about 65 lbs--the bikes run straight and you can drive with one hand--my best speed is 141 mph sheris best is 105 mph --just remember this is not a roadracing rig ---hope i was a help-willie buchta-----------my bike has a 84 in wheel base- - sheris has a 74 in wheel base --we both run the sidecar axel 20 in forward of the rear wheel axel---we did so because of room if i would of had room i would have moved the sidecar   wheel back about 6 to 8 in.    we both run the sidecar on the left side because of exhaust pipes--if you plan on racing at el mirage put the sidecar on the right if you can ---at bonneville you never know til you get there which you will be turning out --last year one track was left one was right -----if you want some speed secrets pm me--------
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:23:31 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

canadianrocky

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:55:43 PM »
Thanks Willie,

I was reading about the hacks racing at Bonny and I just wanted to know how they were set more for interest than anything else at this point. If I decide to go in this direction, I will PM you for those speed secrets.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 12:05:23 AM »
rockey---and i thought you were building a sidecar---if you decide in that direction--i want to build a new bike for 09 and thinking of selling my bike--it has a stock engine and with some small modifacitions it should break the records that i have now by 6 to 10 mph pg and pf at el mirage and pg and pf at bonneville--guarentee or your money back   willie buchta

i will be at the world finals
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:10:41 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

canadianrocky

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 06:26:21 PM »
rockey---and i thought you were building a sidecar---if you decide in that direction--i want to build a new bike for 09 and thinking of selling my bike--it has a stock engine and with some small modifacitions it should break the records that i have now by 6 to 10 mph pg and pf at el mirage and pg and pf at bonneville--guarentee or your money back   willie buchta

i will be at the world finals

Well, that might be an offer a person cant so no to... can you post a picture?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 06:36:41 PM »
            http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3151.0.html
            http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3715.0.html

the top one is sheris bike the bottom one is mine    1000cc SC-PG and PF   willie buchta

im getting ready to fill out my app. for world finals i can put you down as a alt. rider if you like ( 885 miles )
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:00:48 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

canadianrocky

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 07:19:15 PM »
            http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3151.0.html
            http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3715.0.html

the top one is sheris bike the bottom one is mine    1000cc SC-PG and PF   willie buchta

im getting ready to fill out my app. for world finals i can put you down as a alt. rider if you like ( 885 miles )

I tried to schedule myself away from work for the meet in August and had to stay, and I dont hold up much hope for October either. Such is the life of being the Pres.

You sure can see the quality in the build of the rig, even in the pictures. I really like the way the hack is attached, it looks rock solid.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 07:26:23 PM »
you dont have to be on the app. to be an alt. driver--- just show up with the riding gear go through rookie orentation--unless you already have a license -- anyway show up and you are welcome to ride it   thanks  willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

canadianrocky

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 08:02:40 PM »
you dont have to be on the app. to be an alt. driver--- just show up with the riding gear go through rookie orentation--unless you already have a license -- anyway show up and you are welcome to ride it   thanks  willie

Thanks Willie, I appreciate the offer. I dont have a license, but in the unlikely event I can get away, I will let you know.

I have always wanted to build something, then go fast in it. My problem is that I have everything but time. the more I look at this, the more I am thinking that I need something "turn key". In drag racing that is easy, in top speed those options are much more limited.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 08:29:47 PM »
my advice would be the same in drag racing as land speed racing--you can probibly buy cheaper than you can build--find something that you like--find something that the engine isnt out on the raged edge--find something with a good foundation so you dont have to rebuild the chassis --find some thing that will set some records ---------the offer is open   --- new thread on technecial discussion --------to buy or to build         willie buchta
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 08:32:24 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »
 :-D Hi Willie,

When will you be at WF? I could get interested in your bike too. If you get enough people interested you could have a bidding war :-D  :-D  :-D

I will try to get to WF also, then we might talk about alt rider, price of your bike, etc. What do you say? :wink:

Your friend in sport,

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 02:38:08 PM »
Willie
He will be required to do some paper work as an alternate rider. Medical info sheet, release form, and I believe the entry form as alternate.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »
yes i will be at world finals ---trying to break the gas record   sounds good terry     willie buchta
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 03:37:51 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta