Author Topic: Car 3522  (Read 12879 times)

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
Re: Car 3522
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
Jack-
Congratulations on the record, first time on the salt with a new combination.  It looks like all the parts worked :-D

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 11:17:08 AM »
-car belongs to Jack Iliff from Maryland----engine is a 122ci inline 4 cylinder based on an aftermarket cast iron block called "Kansas block"----it has a SBC head.

I googled "Kansas block" without any luck.  Is it anything like the 1/2 V-8 Secos's??  I'd like to know more,

Sum
Sumner- I think the other posts answered your question.  Effectively it is half a SBC but the configuration is the Iron duke 4 cyl. it takes SBC parts for many things ( bearings are same size as 283 but main set is sl different (thrust bearing). Rods are SBC. Balancer, flywheel etc are SBC and with, on this engine, SBC head can use that valve train etc. there are still available a high port SD Pontiac head that is supposed to flow pretty well if you have a block drilled for the Pontiac bolt pattern. there is floating around a booklet from pontiac that shows how to "hot rod" one of these engines with prep tricks.  The Sesco's were like (IIRC) the slant 4 Pontiac did early 60's that was a 389 with a bank lopped off.

Thanks for the info.  That is an interesting motor and I like the fact that a lot of the cheaper SBC stuff could be used on it.  Would the block and crank be good up to 800-900 hp in a lower rpm (under 7500) blown application??  I would imagine that the newer LS series heads would not bolt up??

c ya,

Sum
Sumner- was surfing some and found a quote by a guy who works for KRP ( I have spoken to him in the past and seems a straight shooter).  He said " A KRP engine has never suffered a BLOCK related failure even in high boost situations"  My caps  for emphasis and is FWIW.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Wuahaha

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »

No one should underestimate the potential of Oval track engines. While Poteet ran the Ecotech in the EcoFire record runs, he has now abandoned that engine for the Dodge Oval Track motors.  Poteet ran the Dodge motor in his Blowfish, and now in the SpeedDemon he's
got a Dodge "HellFire" Hemi 4 cyl.  Those start as a crate engine from Dodge and Duttweiler engines built it up.

Chevy just introduced a new Oval Track crate motor - check the latest issue of Hot Rod or see your local GM Goodwrench parts counter.
Bring your checkbook....

Any Oval Track Motor should have great reliability, heck an LSR run would be a few laps around an oval rack....

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »
......Sumner- was surfing some and found a quote by a guy who works for KRP ( I have spoken to him in the past and seems a straight shooter).  He said " A KRP engine has never suffered a BLOCK related failure even in high boost situations"  My caps  for emphasis and is FWIW.

Thanks,

Sum

Offline fwillyj

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »
-here's a link to the kansas block

http://www.kansasracingproducts.com/Welcome.html

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 08:54:58 PM »
GM's new Midget engine is very much in the testing stage. Makes you wonder why Tony Stewart went back to GM :-D :-D :-D

Jimmy Stevens has run a Fontana bottom with a Yates Ford head in his street roadster. Pretty fast as I remember using 2 of my Brazwell 2 barrels. He now runs it with EFI.....................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 10:32:43 PM »
That KRP is a great motor-needle bearing camshaft, etc, and I assure all personally that one of them has made 440 HP on NHRA gas  with an ex-Pro Stock Truck (Chevy) head and a single 850 four barrel. Turns 10,000 and runs over 160 in the 1/4 mile in a 1200 lb class-legal dragster -there a few more with a variety of intakes (Webers, port injectors) that have to compete with the purpose-built way more modern Mopar midget motors (Econo?) and they aquit them selves nicely at the drags.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline WestCoastChris

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 11:20:27 AM »
GM's new Midget engine is very much in the testing stage. Makes you wonder why Tony Stewart went back to GM :-D :-D :-D

Jimmy Stevens has run a Fontana bottom with a Yates Ford head in his street roadster. Pretty fast as I remember using 2 of my Brazwell 2 barrels. He now runs it with EFI.....................JD

A thing of beauty with those carbs, EFI is definitely the way to go these days, however the current F/STR record was set with those gorgeous pumpers in these shots. Thanks JD.....

Offline pookie

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »
Hi Jacksoni, could you tell me what company BLP is, you referred to it in one of your responses, on the internal components of the engine you run, ie: pin oilers/squirters. Thanx, Mike R.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
That is BLP producs- Bo Laws racing.   I spoke with Mike Laws who was very helpful. I had to hand drill the main saddles as their kit is designed for V-8's as they don't have the need for it in this block. ( he did say if I were to ship him a block might be able to make up kit with the guides- a bit much for one guy but he supplied me with couple drills, the special taps  with spares in case of breakage or getting dull ( you don't want to break a tap or drill off doing this :(  ) and the jets with one extra in case. Is a little jet the goes in the main web to squirt the bottom of the piston. Will attach main link and the ones to installation.

http://www.blp.com/
http://www.blp.com/pdf/install/DomeOilerInstall1.pdf
http://www.blp.com/pdf/install/DomeOilerInstall2.pdf
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »
I own 3 of those "archaic" Brazwells. One of them on my 311" GMC went 157 @ El mirage and 161 at Bonneville quite a few years back. They are full circle annular discharge carbs with full machined venturi's and pressed in tubes. Jimmy did work with them a bunch. Only one old guy at Brazwell even remembers them. They flow between 650 and 700 CFM. Jimmy wanted to keep them but I wouldn't let them go. Someday 2 of them will be on my GMC..............
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline racergeo

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »

Sum Patterson, I have a complete Pont. SD 182c.i. engine for sale. It is fresh with turned crank, new gas ported pistons w/rings GRP rods a variety of cams and rockers (Jessel) and just a ton of spare parts for about 20c on the dollar. It has a fresh head with ti valves and all the good race parts. Ran 8.40 in F econo.  All for about what a Kansas block costs. Would set record in my car, don't know about yours. But it should. PM me for more details.  George