Author Topic: Cliff Gullett Passes  (Read 40249 times)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Re: Cliff Gullett Passes
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »
I never met Cliff, but I know Jack.  We spoke for quite a while the other day and as you can imagine he is in the middle of some serious "back and forth" about his design ("square edged cars"), his cars ("there's still a few of them running") and what he will do next, or if in fact he will do anything different or even possibly if he will do anything at all.  As they left the salt I believe Cliff's wife encouraged Jack to not let Cliff's death affect what Jack did.

Please know that my report about Jack is only from a moment in time and that in these sorts of times one's thoughts for the future can wander with abandon.

This morning I had a rather spooky thought.  A year or so ago Kent Riches and I were chatting and the subject of Burt Munro came up.  Kent jokingly referred to Burt's VERY soft 1000CC S-F record (Aug 1967 183.586mph) as the Haunted Record, recounting the difficulties, crashes, engine failures, etc., that had befallen him (and I think a couple of others) as they tried to go past this "simple" number. 

Well, while speaking with Jack before speedweek he mentioned, "Yeah, we're even going to go after Burt Munro's record."  I'm pretty sure he was talking about Cliff's liner and given the numbers he was doing with that two stoke, putting in a 1000cc motor and going 183.587 should have been a cinch.

Hmmmm.....

God Speed, Cliff

Y'all keep the shiny side up so when Cliff looks down he'll know everything is cool.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:34:01 PM by fastesthonda_jim »
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2008, 03:59:17 PM »
Before I left for the salt I turned in my monthly column I write for MotorcycleUSA. Oddly, this segment was about Jack Costella, his machines, and of course his association with Cliff and Nebulous Theorem VII.

When I returned home I found the article had been held back. I contacted my editor and he asked If I could add a little something about Cliff in addition to the article I'd already written. For those of you who care to have a look, you can find it at:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=7064&Page=1

After you're done reading it, leave a comment and maybe share a memory on their forum so others can read about Cliff and his accomplishments both on and off the salt.

Thanks

Rocky R

imnsoc8

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »
I wanted to share this tribute to Cliffs landspeed racing accomplishments. I apologize for not fully recognizing the many that contributed to his love of the salt and the success he enjoyed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68DuzPRH3pM

Offline 950cc

• New folks
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »
I have it on good authority that Jack is having a very rough time.  We need to keep him in our prayers.