Author Topic: Cliff Gullett Passes  (Read 40134 times)

Offline KIRIAKAI

• COSTELLA-GULLETT STREAMLINER
    • TEAM BOZEMAN MOTORSPORTS
Re: Cliff Gullett Passes
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2008, 07:49:03 PM »
CLIFF GULLETT MEMORIAL SERVICES

MEMORIAL SERVICES ARE SCHEDULED FOR 11:00 AM ON SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 13TH, AT 11:00AM AT THE GRACE BIBLE CHURCH, LOCATED AT 3625 S. 19TH AVE, BOZEMAN, MONTANA, 59718.

A MEMORIAL RECEPTION FOR CLIFF WILL BE HELD AT 2:00 PM THE SAME DATE AT THE BROKEN HART RACH, LOCATED AT 73800 GALLATIN ROAD IN BOZEMAN.

THE FAMILY HAS REQUESTED THAT ATTENDEES RIDE THEIR MOTORCYCLES, ATV'S OR OTHER MOTORSPORTS EQUIPMENT, REGARDLESS OF MAKE OR BRAND, TO THE MEMORIAL RECEPTION IN A "LAST RIDE" TRIBUTE TO CLIFF.

REMEMBRANCES ARE SUGGESTED TO THE CLIFF GULLETT MEMORIAL FUND, C/O 1ST INTERSTATE BANK, GALLATIN CENTER BRANCH, 2023 BURKE ST, BOZEMAN, MONTANA, 59718.
THE FAMILY WILL DISTRIBUTE FINAL FUNDS TO CLIFF'S FAVORITE CHARITIES.

YOUR COMMENTS AND STORIES OF AND ABOUT CLIFF ARE BEING GATHERED INTO A MEMORY BOOK FOR LEANNE, CASEY AND NICOLLE.

CURT LANCE
GENERAL MANAGER
TEAM BOZEMAN MOTORSPORTS

Offline jb2

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2008, 12:33:31 PM »
The story was picked up on the home page of Yahoo!
It takes a tragedy like this for the sport to get noticed nationally.  Too sad.  It is nice to see him remembered, I wish I would have had the opportunity to meet him.

My thoughts and prayers for the Gullett family.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:37:44 PM by jb2 »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2008, 01:06:38 PM »
We do not have a choice of when, where, or how we die......
We only have a choice on how we lived......
kent

Offline Red Duck

• New folks
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2008, 09:49:52 PM »
As Cliff's brother I would like to thank all of you for the thoughts, prayers and kind words. If you had the experience to meet Cliff you can understand why he has touched so many. His family, not only direct relation, but also friends, employees, and acquaintances are truly proud and respectful of Cliff and all he stands for. You will never hear me talk of Cliff in the past, because he will never leave us. Thanks Cliff, you have made proud. We love you.
Live for today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »
It's nice to have you with us.

I noticed your handle. Are you a Ducati racer? I sure love those bikes.

Dave
http://www.roiadsters.com/

Offline vintage racer

• 414B 350cc 1941 Indian 106.001
    • IversenOriginals.com
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2008, 10:32:53 PM »
It's not often that the first impression people present is one of integrity, but that is exactly what Cliff represented. Cliff and his brother Doug, welcomed us to our first big LSR event on the salt five years ago. They put up with lame questions and rookie excitement with nothing less than enthusiasm. You didn't see Cliff without Casey close by and it was a pleasure to meet Leann and Nicole for the first time last year during Speedweek. The sparkle in Cliffs eye will be sorely missed.
 We have the family in our thoughts daily.
Jill and Dave Iversen

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2008, 08:46:13 AM »
I had to wait a few days to write this.

When I read the first post about the accident I had a bad feeling that increased until the terrible news finally arrived.

I didn't sleep much that night.

I read about death all the time. Car accidents, plane crashes, Irag, you name it. You can't connect with those reports because you don't know the person. I guess to get through the day you have to do that.

I've been a huge fan of Jack Costella for a long time and have looked over every inch of the liners.

I didn't know Cliff very well other than to say Hi. He certainly didn't know me. I'm still depressed and angry.

We can't just let this pass without action. This sport isn't worth dying for. Nothing is. I hope that a full investigation will lead to some change that will better protect the driver or find some way to prevent tumbling when a streamliner loses control.

My condolences to the family and team.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »
I didn't know the man. I can't write some wonderful eulogy for him. But I did know his enthusiasm and belief that he would ride the Worlds Fastest Motorcycle. And I believed him completely. I never thought he wouldn't succeed. So I can only agree with Dean. This hurts. I hope there is something to be learned from the pain.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 10:52:38 AM by RichFox »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »
Just got back to a computer from the Bub.  We were at the International 3 when it happened. 
Cliff was a racer to be admired.  He was friendly with all and loved to talk about racing.  As Kent said, we can't pick how or when we leave, but we can pick how we live while we are here.  Cliff did it right! 
My family's thoughts and prayers go out to Cliff's friends and family.

For some more disturbing news... someone stole the picture Cliff signed for the Salt Flats Cafe on Friday evening.  The owner would like to have it returned.  If anyone sees it or knows what happened, it needs to be returned to the Cafe.  Pictures in the cafe are fond memories for all of us, give it back!
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2008, 01:50:53 PM »
I hope the picture will find his way back to the wall of Marcelo's - unfortunately, it's not the first time that picture was stolen from there.....

But I write for a other reason - a lot of people had never the luck to meet Cliff. He was a racers racer like Don Vesco or Carl Heap.

Someone who has a big heart and the need for speed at the Bonneville Salt Flats - if he could help, he did. And he understand to open the throttle.

When I read on Thursday night the news here on landracing (at first I was deeply shocked) I was thinking, why? - but I knew also, that Cliff was someone - like me - who was living now and he done what he liked the most.

For him, living on the edge, living for going fast. He enjoyed to go fast, so as we all do.

For me, I will keep him in my mind as one of the nicest guy I ever meet - someone with a big human thinking in the today so ego thinking world.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2008, 07:44:56 PM »
I've got a good bunch of Cliff Gullett stories that bear repeating, and will someday soon.  In the meantime, here are a   couple of photos Nancy and I took at World Finals last year.  The first one shows Cliff and crew gathered around as Cliff was presented with his 200 MPH Club red hat.  Notice Casey, standing with his back towards us, just this side of the bike:

And this one is Casey working on the front wheel of the 'liner, in impound.  No question -- Casey was part of Cliff's crew!

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Viking Biker

• New folks
    • www.ericksonracing.com
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2008, 09:37:33 PM »
 :cry: :cry: :cry:

I almost have the same photo.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:41:21 PM by Viking Biker »

Offline Bobby c

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »
It is my great honor to say that I had the privilege to know Cliff and see him race. I was working the 3 mile when the accident happened and that moment will be forever etched into my mind. Cliff was the real deal and the world is a little less brighter with his passing. All of my prayers go out to his family, crew and friends.
Bob

Offline D. Wagner

• New folks
  • Black Salt Racing #1768
    • Black Salt Racing
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2008, 04:27:35 PM »
Keith & I were very saddened to hear this horrible news.  Please know our thoughts go out to all his family and friends.  Cliff will be missed throughout the racing community!
Donna Wagner & Keith Copeland
Black Salt Racing  #768
Donna

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2008, 09:43:41 AM »
Cliff joined the Speed Record Club last year, and we met at Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2008. He had come over with Jack, and at BUB spent quality time with us recalling the adventures he had been on in England. He told us about their special relationship, and how their friendship had grown through the racing partnership. The Bullett team were true professionals, who always went out of their way to be polite and responsive. To them it was never a trouble to go out of their way for a photo. We spent hours with them at mile "0" on the afternoon Cliff ran 229mph, and then several hours more the next, fateful, day. I was impressed with Cliff, Leanne, Doug and Troy. I have felt empty since, but have no bad feelings because of the enjoyment they gave me while I was in their company. I echo Kent's statement, and send my prayers to the whole team. Gabriel.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!