Author Topic: Changes to make a car legal for altered class  (Read 2846 times)

LittleLiner

Changes to make a car legal for altered class
« on: September 03, 2008, 12:19:31 AM »
This is an ECTA question - Not SCTA

Ok. . .so I have this street car that I'll be running at Maxton this month.  I see a record or two in the Altered category that look sorta soft.  Maybe, just maybe I could snag one of those records.  Problem is making the car into a 'legal' altered.  The rules say to be a real altered car you MUST do one of four things.  I can't set the engine back (wish I could), I can't install a step pan (not without major surgery), and I can't convert it to rear wheel drive.  So that leaves the option of removing headlights, bumper etc and covering the area with  . . blah, blah, blah - you know the rule as well as anyone.  Look it up if you don't.

The question is - Do I really have to remove the headlights and bumper or can I just cover them and some of the grill openings with racer tape so they look like they have been removed and the openings covered?

. . . Three weeks and three days til rookie orientation . . . .

Offline Bville701

Re: Changes to make a car legal for altered class
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »
In SCTA ( I know that you weren't looking for an SCTA answer) we just cut out pieces of aluminum and tape them or rivet them over the headlights.

The rules that you are discibing for ECTA sound very close and similar to SCTA, but you might want to e-mail someone like Keith Turk to see if I'm correct. He should know.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but it's all I got right now.     :-D
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

LittleLiner

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:10:14 AM »
Thanks 701.  I did get an answer from KT on the ECTA yahoo group board.  Tape will do. 

Putting tape on a car. . .  Should be easy. . . . Now watch me screw that up.  :-D

Offline t russell

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:24:24 PM »
Thanks 701.  I did get an answer from KT on the ECTA yahoo group board.  Tape will do. 

Putting tape on a car. . .  Should be easy. . . . Now watch me screw that up.  :-D

Just come to the 9282 pit we CAN tape :-D
terry