Author Topic: Bubs 2008 is under way!  (Read 120159 times)

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Bubs 2008 is under way!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »
WOW!!!! What a great start and an excellent salty-bike thread.

Is that the airbox on the left side of the backbone on the #121 W-3 bike... looking forward to hearing what class it's running in?  Also what class the #141 bike is in?

The Bennett's Performance #50 bike looks very nice... would love some close ups for sure.

The Dream Catcher #1957 liner is the one that showed up at Maxton some years back (just for some pre tech if I remember right).. hope they do well.

Wouldn't be an event without Van's double shovel out there huh... :-) But what is the attachement to that darn pillow man - it's been quite awhile he's been running that as his seat now (there's gotta be a story behind it - lol)!

Sorry to hear Max didn't make the cut off for the return run, but I have a feeling he has the ability to up his qualifying run quite a bit anyway.

Bob's #1194 hack is absolutley gorgeous.... ask him if you're allowed to run real sidecars out there  :wink:

EXCELLENT shots JW.... would love to have one or two of you and Nancy with any of the liners for my wall here. Glad to see the internet connection going so well also, you got Deb to upgrade us into one of them things now also thank you very much :-P.  And nice touch adding in the Green Company Limo pic btw... lol.

Bill, Denis' liner has a lot less hp then you'd think (or at least then I'd think) for 350mph :-o
Todd
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:35:48 PM by narider »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »

Does that answer your question, Todd?  And you want proof that the hack made a run?  Lookie here:

Scary --- I didn't get the story behind it.

I'll try to get some responses for your questions, but it's nighty-night time for me just now.  Thanks (to all) for looking at the stuff I've posted.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 10:34:46 AM »
Jon,

I think the 157 mph speed you talked about for Max was a speed for Travis Suttun with his open bike 600 turbo, they made a down run at 157 mph and went to impound on an open record. They were told in impound that the return runs for AMA have already left impound and he would have to requalify the next day...

Seems both bikes #1230 (questionable due to angle of photo) and #121 (swiss bike) forgot to read about the 180 degree rule for seat and tail sections (no streamlining below top edge of rim from vertical line of axel rearword)... Interesting to see if they let them run in that form for a AMA or FIM record. I couldnt tell what class the #121 bike was running in due to lack of class designation.

awww what fun it would be to be there watching all the action, I sure miss it.

JonAmo

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »
Wow, those seem like one of the worse choices for tires on the SC bike ofr anything other then circle track maybe.... but what do I know? (yeah, I know.. not much :-) ) Going by the tread pattern that appears to be the rear wheel... thank god for that at least and I hope no one got hurt.

JonA.. that sounds more better about the sidecar speed. And I said the same thing to Deb last nite about the rear wheel coverage on a couple of those bikes... but we always hear how AMA and FIM are there own entities with their own rules and we agreed I'd be better off not saying anything - lol.
Todd

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »
Far be it from us to keep our mouths shut on our thoughts!  :evil:

Am I the only one that's hit refresh on this thread 1800 times already today???
Don't these people know we can't live without an update?  :-D

8-)

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

racin jason

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 12:20:54 PM »
I'm with you Deb.

Jon less time in the Honey Wagons and more updates!!

The pics are great keep them coming!!!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 12:49:39 PM »
Wide tires on the salt don't mix well, The sports car bunch will argue about this until they spin. Right DW.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 12:54:38 PM »
Right on Glen.

I think I mentioned this before. Several years ago a guy with an original GT40 came by at the end of the week on his way home from Pebble Beach.
He wanted to run and insisted his tires were good for 200 +. Mike Stewart let him run with a 150 restriction. We then started a pool with a $1 buy in as to what speed he would spin. We knew he would not adhere to the speed restricion, just that type of guy.

Mike won with a 183 spin and I ended up with an original body hinge from a GT40. The guy put all the pieces in his trailer and went home.

DW

landracing

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »
JonA.. that sounds more better about the sidecar speed. And I said the same thing to Deb last nite about the rear wheel coverage on a couple of those bikes... but we always hear how AMA and FIM are there own entities with their own rules and we agreed I'd be better off not saying anything - lol.
Todd

AMA Rule 8.B - so they have the rules - just depends on if they wish to follow them. :)\\

JonAmo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 12:59:18 PM »
First of all, here's the bad news.  Last night Nancy and I were tolkd that we could have a copy of the run logs either at the end of the day or this morning.  We said we'd get 'em in the morning.  This morning we were greeted with "You can have them as soon as I burn them to a CD-rom for you, and that'll take only about two minutes."  A few minutes later we were asked if a half-hour would be okay, and a half-hour later it was "not yet, but soon."  No, we don't have them yet.  We do have permission to get the logs directly from the Rices, but that won't start 'til tonight or tomorrow morning.  Whatever, we decided to go to the start line to take some photos, then we'd go back and get the logs.  We drove past all five start lines (you think I'm kidding about that, don't you?  Nope -- saw at least five, and that's only on the "south end" of the courses) and then discovered the battery in the camera had gone away, so we're back in the Econo Lodge for a few minutes to do laundry and get fresh batteries (which has been done -- the camera is okay now).  We'll head back out in an hour or so and try to find a start line that's got some activity.  

Oh, not only were there multiple start lines, but there's the pre-stage line, where bikes wait 'til there's a batch or so and then are dispatched in groups of about 10 to RIDE down the course to the start line.

We did have a fine breakfast with the MV Augusta team, though -- catered, with individual-made omelettes and good coffee.  I think Stainless is going to mosey down to their pit for his breakfast in the morning.

That's enough for now.  It's in the low 60's and super-duper.  Wish you were all here.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 01:02:03 PM »
Dan, I remember the spin well as it was just past the timing trailer. Big $$$$ repairs. I probably have some pictures of it some where.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Boz

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 01:07:39 PM »
Wish I was there.  Last year was so wet I knew I had chosen the wrong year to go.  How is the wind?  Are the streamliners going to run?
Life is not the number of breaths you take it is the times that take your breath away.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 01:15:14 PM »
Okay -- if you buy us a nice breakfast at your pit I'll put your photo on the site.  No question -- we can be bought!

Here's a shot that includes some of the danish rolls as well as the bike:

Final bribed shot -- the exhaust pipes on this bike are way cool -- referred to as the organ-pipe exhaust, I think I remember reading:

Cliff Gullett's trailer has this tasty photo on the back door.  Nice shot -- and let's the poor folks that are traveling along the highway behind him know what we get to see when we're at our favorite play place:

Final shot of the bunch:  These weights helped this Buell pick up about 5 mph yesterday.  But they wouldn't be allowed under SCTA/ECTA rules becuase they extend past the centerline of the axle, right?  Or is that just that the mounting tabs/fasteners must be in front of the axle?  Anyway, the AMA scrutineer said that they don't want them back that far, either, but allowed them anyway.  Hunh?

Deep enough!  Going back to the salt as soon as the clothes are out of the dryer.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:31:49 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 01:15:22 PM »
I'm with you Deb.

Jon less time in the Honey Wagons and more updates!!

The pics are great keep them coming!!!

ummm... aren't you supposed to be on a bike in one of those long lines mister?  :-D

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »
Thanks for the updates Jon and you are a better person than I.  I'm too selfish with my limited time out there and don't want to spend it uploading photos and text.  You are giving up a lot and giving us a lot to take the time to do it. Thanks  :-).

Now Jon Amo was younger than you and I and didn't seem to need any sleep, so he could race, take pictures, upload and race somemore besides driving to the event all night across Wyoming watching movies  :-o.  Of course he never drove and watched at the same time  8-).  Jon A another thanks for all that you did for us for so long,

Sum