Author Topic: Bubs 2008 is under way!  (Read 119844 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Bubs 2008 is under way!
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:01:52 PM »
Good morning, boys and girls.  Nancy and I are here at the Salt (as usual, it seems), and the Bubs event has begun.  Here's Rex Svoboda and Denis Manning conducting the rider's meeting:

Since we've only been here a little while -- and since a good portion of that time has been spent in saying howdy to about a zillion folks already -- I've only taken a few photos.  But -- because this bike has spent so much time on the Forum I wanted to show you Max's Vincent liner on the Salt, where it naturally belongs.

And just to keep Stainless happy and give him a bit of screen time, here's the dolly:

Final shot for now -- liner and mascot:

Other comments:  We've talked with Mike Akatiff and seen the Ack bike, and the Bubs bike is here (with Chris Carr due to arrive in a little while (after winning the Springfield Mile yesterdat, according to Denis)), I said hi to Sam Wheeler so it's a fair guess that the EZ Hook bike is here, and there's at least on other liner that we drove past (but didn't recognise). 

Lots of bikes, of course -- Norton, MV Augusta, Indian, Vincent, even some Harley Davidsons, believe it or else.  And on and on -- and I did charge the batteries in the camera last night, so I'll put some more photos up here later.

It's time for the ride down the course -- I'll be back.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:03:29 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Bubs 2008 is under way!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »
 A great and safe meet to all of the racers. Jon, thanks for the update, looking forward to the runs and speeds. :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:11:39 PM »
Jon, great news and thanks for the update.

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »
Jon,

did you gave Sam the poster which was in the tube at the Salt Talk......thanks....and give him the best regards from my side...thanks
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »
No, and we spoke with Sam for a little while today.  Thank you very much the reminder -- we'll give it to him next time we see him.

Regards,

Jon
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
Hey, hey, Hey!  It's midafternoon and nancy and I are chilling for a while, so I'll crack open a Monster "Assault" and load a bunch of photos and other information.

I've got to apologize for putting the photos here instead of in the photo gallery, but it's not all my fault.  Jon Amo and I spent about two minutes together at SpeedWeek -- and that didn't give us enough time to get me tutored in how to put pictures into the gallery.  So -- here they come.  I'll put a group or so into each of these posts.  I'm not necessarily going to add captions or details, but if there's something I remember that's worth posting -- you'll read it, too.

Here's Belen Wagner's bike:

We heard her dad talking about how they decided to run rain tires - here's the rear:

Here's a comment that might have been made by any of a zillion folks about Bonneville bike racers:

Little bikes:

Custom bikes, like this "work-of-art" turbo Blast.  The builder was talking about how he had entered it in a competition for artsy bikes (not his words, but rather - mine).  Not the swoopy handlebars:

And the nice-looking turbo kit tucked behind the case:

That's the first batch.  A hit of Assault and I'll be back with more.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 06:22:31 PM »
And by the way, since Nancy and I have official press credentials I'm supposed to mention that Bub's is the event and AMA and FIM and PDQ (well, maybe not them!) are allowing us to post these photos and any commentary that I might make.  There was a bunch of required verbiage (to which I signed my agreement) back a few months ago when i applied for the credentials -- but I can't find those words in the press packet we got today, so I'll try to cover my truckstop/sweetie-pie and say that I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be saying.

Okay, to some more photos:

When's the last time you saw one of the W-3 engines up close and personal?

And note the bodywork on the bike.  It's from Switzerland, I believe...

Ah, just another day at Bonneville -- a couple of Royal Enfields...

And here's one of the Condor front-wheel chocks, like Todd convinced Nancy and me to switch to, but here used as a rear wheel chock.  Still -- the units are slick and work really well:

To go on about the Condor - I didn't really think they'd work as well as they do, but I tried.  We put the race bike into one and used just two tie-downs (from rear pegs, approximately, to D-rings on the floor on the sides of the front wheels), and the bike didn't move around at all during the 1,900-mile trip out here.  Better still -- I put the front wheel of our 700-pound Gold Wing into a Condor and used a pair of tie-downs, located in about the same place as for the race bike -- and the Honda stayed put, too!  I'll use 'em again.

Another one of the Swiss bikes:

And here's one just for those of you that are awaiting a bike with which you're familiar -- the Buddfab 'liner:

Final bike of this batch.  Take a pair of Kawasaki ZX636R motors and cram them into one chassis, add the slickest chain routing I've seen in a long time, and you end up with this:

They moved the bike out from under my camera just as I was about to take some photos of the chain, but it is cool.  I'll try to find the bike again and get better photos.

That's it for this post.  Gotta download some more.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:41:30 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 06:50:57 PM »
Other things I should mention:  Delvene Manning says she'll try to supply me with daily run logs -- eitehr at the end of the day, or the next morning for sure.  We haven't yet figured out if the logs will get to me on paper, on a CD-rom, a USB drive, or by email -- but I'll get 'em.  Then, of course, I've got to figure out how to get them from Wintel into Apple format so I can post them here for one and all.  But trust me, I'll try.

Oh - speaking of not all that much -- Sam Wheeler said that he probably won't bother trying to get in a whiz-bang run, especially since the course is pretty good (but still wet near the south end for the first mile or so).  But he want to make at least one, maybe more, attempts to show him and his crew whether the new front wheel will work.  Let's see if I can find a photo of the wheel:

Hah!  How's that for a sneaky lead-in?  Here's another shot or two of his bike:

From the sublime to the -- well, howsabout your regular, every-day 3740-cc Harley?

This is a streamliner/sidecar meet, right?  Look at these hacks.  The first one is Bob Bakker's (you know him on this Forum as bak189):

Did I hear you ask for a photo of the Indian-powered 'liner?  Well, here it is:

I'll get a photo of the insides of it later, when the lighting is better.

The diesel Kawasaki KLR 650-type bike:

And final one of the batch is...I forget.  I'll post it and look at the photo once it's on line.  If you figure it out before I post - you win a big thank you.

That's all, folks.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:58:54 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »
Hey, do I win a prize for making more posts than anyone else today?  No, don't bother -- I've already got a t-shirt.

Here's the last of the photos I took today.  First of all a liner with tiny engine, being worked on right next to the Bub #7 bike.  I didn't get any information...

And here's the plain, work-a-day belt system on the Bub engine:

Different view of the engine/rear tire area:

I said this is it for this batch, but I couldn't let the day end without a shot of my on-the-salt avocation's representative:

Okay, we're going to go see if we can get the run logs.  Ta-ta for now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »
Thanks for the update and keep the pictures coming!

Scott

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »

And here's the plain, work-a-day belt system on the Bub engine:

Different view of the engine/rear tire area:

The mind boggles at all the thought that went into designing the BUB Streamliner, and the flawlessness of its execution.

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »

Custom bikes, like this "work-of-art" turbo Blast.  The builder was talking about how he had entered it in a competition for artsy bikes (not his words, but rather - mine).  Not the swoopy handlebars:

And the nice-looking turbo kit tucked behind the case:

That's one of Roger Goldammer's bikes, which we recently discussed in this thread:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4445.0.html

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »
Hey, no kidding?  Maybe I shouloda listened more carefully to the guy that is shown (or at least his left hand is shown) in the second photo.  Mighta been him, hey?

I'll look into it tomorrow.

So here's some stuff from today:  Delvene will get us a copy of the run logs next morning, so I oughta be able to post them by 10AM next day.

And Stainless reports that the Max Lambky 'liner in sidecar clothing made a qualifying pass today -- 157 mph -- and got back to the line for the record return run about 5.50PM, only to be greeted by the information that "We've closed the course to more bikes.  You'll have to run in the morning.  Of course to qualify for this record your runs have to be within 124 hours of one another -- on the SAME CALENDAR DAY!" (emphasis mine).  So -- back to square one for the bike.

The MV Augusta bike, ridden by Rosie, set a 191 + record today, and Cliff Gullett (#7070 liner, with 500 cc motor installed) was making a pass down the course as we left late this afternoon.

And so it goes -- first day is over, and I'll get some results up here tomorrow.  I'll post a photo then of the other Vincent liner -- a single engine bike that will fit only the narrowest rider yo've ever imagined.  boyoboy is it skinny...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »
Awesome updates Jon, thanks! Wish we were there! If you need any "win" help with the logs shoot me an email & I'll help you out! ;)

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline WildBro

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »
Anyone know how much Hp the BUB liner has?

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas