Author Topic: Dan Kaplan Introduction  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Dan Kaplan

• New folks
Dan Kaplan Introduction
« on: September 01, 2008, 09:53:30 PM »
First off, I would like to express my appreciation for the posts regarding my brother Barry since his passing in July.  I've heard from many who have told me how much Barry influenced their lives....  Mostly good  :-)  I'm the baby of the family @ 58 and I have found many of Barry's photos from the Dry Lakes and the Salt Flats going back to the early 60's.  I'd like to post a few some you old guys might remember.....  Those that knew Barry will understand why I'm starting with these....   I even found matchbooks from Donna's and the Green Lantern.  My hope is to eventually scan them all and create a section of my website dedicated to Barry.  www.kaplanracing.com 

Thanks to you all!! 

Dan Kaplan

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Dan Kaplan Introduction
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »
Dan, we were so sorry to hear about Berry. I had the pleasure to time so many of their runs over the years.
I will enjoy all of the photos you submit to the site as well as any of the history of a great and true racer. Our thoughts and prayers for the family.

Glen & Carol Barrett
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:21:06 PM »
Cool. I still wanna hear about the Nomad.  :-o Wayno

Offline Dan Kaplan

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 11:08:45 PM »
Barry's Nomad....  Wayno, don't know what story you are referring to, but Barry bought it in '61 and put on more than 1/2 million miles before selling it in '72.  Towed all the dragsters and the annual trip to the Flats.  This pic is from the early '60s and Barry is in his normal Bonneville attire....

Dan

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:31:55 PM »
growing up as a kid on the dirt i remember the carr kaplan lakester. it was by far my favorite car to watch at el mirage. and when i got the chance to rebuild it with my dad it was a great honor to all of us. to all of you that dont know this was the first car to go 300 mph at el mirage the car now sits in the nhra museum in Pomona the way it made the 300 mph run. berry even gave dad the mag cap wires and injector that they had on it along with some other things i cant remember. berry will always be a hero to this kid. in my garage hangs a 16x20 photo taken by bill taylor the day it broke the 300mph barrier and next to it hangs the moon disc of the wheel that is singed by don and berry with a speed of 306 mph on it  :-D ebay never...
Mike cook jr

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »
Ah - The Green Lantern.

The first trip to Bonneville with my now wife included a stop at the Lantern. I wanted to buy Joanie a tee shirt, she would not get out of the truck.

At Thanksgiving dinner later that year her Mom took me aside and asked me what I was trying to do to her daughter.

Barry and Don, so many records, so many laughs..Barry will truely be missed.

DW

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:52:24 PM »
Dan-
I didn't know Barry as long as I knew of him.  He was the guy I'd see sunbathing in the staging lanes at the drags, with his typical attire of shorts and deck shoes (and wonder, WTF?!).  I finally made his acquaintance in 1990 and realized the guy with the dry demeanor and extreme focus was really very funny and cool.  It seemed once you were on his good side you were there to stay.

...I'd like to post a few some you old guys might remember.....  Those that knew Barry will understand why I'm starting with these...I even found matchbooks from Donna's and the Green Lantern.

BTW-
You'd be surprised how many "young" guys remember Donna's (and the Hacienda) :wink:

Nick 3rd.

SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:51:06 PM »
Is that where they did the rookie licensing?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
Stan-
It used to be a "right of passage" for Bonneville.  Generations before me can vouch for this.

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com