Author Topic: Moon Discs with Dzus (Pain in the @$$)  (Read 11765 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Moon Discs with Dzus (Pain in the @$$)
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »
Super button is just a Dzus fastener with a hex drive instead of a slot. If you use a proper Apex Dzus fastener tool you will find they work as well as any Super button

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »
Milt,  Yes I used Mooneyes 15" Moon Discs and bought the Dzus Kit they sell also.
Yes I used the Template they Loan you too ($50 deposit for the jig but they send the deposit back)

It is a very nice set up,  I guess after all the welding and then the Powder Coating it,  made the Dzus's a bit more fiesty to install.  But after a bunch of cussing and treaking I got them on,,, I took them off and putting them back on the second time was a bit easier.

I would certainly use Mooneyes again....

They would look great on your ride..  I am not sure how much areo help they will give me since I am driving a 55 year old open wheel brick, but Man I think they look good and complete the look I was going for..

I hope to get tech'd to a higher speed cap this month and get to use high gear this time...

Still working the bugs out but feel with the current setup I can bust my current record...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 10:52:36 PM »
I may have to hold one of yours over my 15" wheels to see just how good/silly they may look on there!  A lady asked me today if my car was some kind of experimental fuel mileage vehicle!  Guess I need to add a nice land speed related graphic to my hood as well since my number on the side and 'This Side Up' on the roof aren't getting the track car image across properly.  :roll:

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 11:06:01 PM »
Well Milt,

Next time you are at Maxton, you and I can brainstorm on some cool racer image for your car... Sometimes my visions do come out OK,,, Now that the Vicky has her Moons, Correct Tires Sizes and Her Pin Stripes and Lettering. I think I am done and she is just as I had visions she would look over a year ago when the build started on a scratch pad.

A cross between a HotRod, Land Speed Racer, Retro Racer, etc.. This look could have been present in the late 30's to current date.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 12:30:47 AM »
Even when Moon does it for you the tabs need to be fooled with to get the depth right. Once you get everything in place it works good.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 12:52:38 AM »
THANK YOU, RICH- from personal experience ya DEFINITELY gotta fool with 'em and with some wheels use .50 buttons, while I've always preferred .55s and just squeeze the springs.

But can you think of a motorsports product with such a LONG longevity? And it probably ain't gonna change!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »
One advantage in using the Moon template and buying their already-prepped discs is that if you damage one, you just order a "factory" replacement -- and they're all interchangeable.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »
I went with the Moons and 3 dimpled Dzus holes and tab kit. I ordered an extra disk and cut out a 2" long by 3/4" wide in the lip at each Dzus location, to weld the tabs to the wheels. The Moons are interchangable on all 4 wheels.

Simple to do, and you always have the "weld jig" for the future.

If anyone would like to borrow the "vented Moon" let me know and I will get the shipping costs for a round trip and let you know if it makes sense.

Tom
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 07:52:14 PM by 836dstr »