Author Topic: switch pitch  (Read 2494 times)

Offline shaun345

• New folks
switch pitch
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:03:19 PM »
Anyone know how to tell a turbo 400 switch pitch torque converter from a standard turbo 400 torque converter? The tranny is from a 1967 Cadillac Hearse and was rebuilt a year ago and I think the special switch pitch parts like the pump, outer shaft and solenoid were swapped out with the exception of the converter.

I've been in deep speculation of the possible benefits a switch pitch might have on the salt. Any thoughts?

Thanks -
Shaun

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: switch pitch
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:47:10 AM »

Shaun you are  surley testing my memory---but I think it had mainly to to with stop light creep---Why run a converter at all!!!!!---just more heat you have to deal with---
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline shaun345

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Hi Sparky-
My basic thinking on the switch pitch was to help with the rpm drop between gears by going to a lower stall speed in stead of slippage and then to the higher one as rpms increase. GM originally used them to get larger heavier cars moving from the stop light. I would be using it like a poor man's OD. - If my thoughts on how a torque converter works is correct.

Glad to see you and Sum made it home okay!

Shaun

Offline power58

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »
I thought only Buick had the switch pitch converter. If I remember right, the input shaft on the trans was different than regular 400's and there was an extra electrical terminal on the trans for the switch pitch.
The other terminal was for the kick down solenoid. Externally I don't think you could tell a switch pitch conveter from a regular one.
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline Morpheus

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:09:26 PM »
Shaun... the input shafts are smaller on s/pitch a/t's, and they have several internal changes also.

Google: Switch pitch 400..... lots of pics & info to help you out.