Author Topic: Ride height for wing tank cars:  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Ride height for wing tank cars:
« on: April 28, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »
I was at the Auto Book Store in Burbank a while back and ran across a very interesting book on aerodynamics, "The Leading Edge" by a guy named Goro Tamai. Well the book is really about aerodynamics for solar powered cars but other than the speed it is all the same. Anyway Mr. Tamai discusses ground clearance for various shapes and one of them is the basic wing tank and from what he is saying if you have a wing tank you should probably run 6-8 inches of ground clearance to provide the best aerodynamics. From the discussion in the book running the higher ground clearance vs. being very low could reduce the total aero drag by 50%.

The book also has a lot of just very intresting "stuff" on car aerodynamics. Worth the $45.00 for sure. Certainly has made me rethink my design for a small motor lakester I am planning to build.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

rdugan

Re: Ride height for wing tank cars:
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
i agree, that's a really beautiful book, well presented, i've leafed through it at that store... one day i'll cough up the bucks for it.

John Broughan

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 07:35:00 AM »
Rex, I reckon as low as possible to minimise lift. This is not a problem on solar cars, but sure is on the lake. When i built my car I was advised by the guy who was running 250 odd at the time that he had had handling problems they couldn't get a grip on, and it turned out that lowering the car got rid of them, and they thought that the air was getting underneath, and lifting it. They don't run a skirt or anything like that to help the handling, it is almost pure P38 shaped.

Offline Jasons757

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »
I have two wing tanks for sale that are 31" diameter and 22' long approx.

Both are mil.surplus and are new in the crate.
 Will take $500 each.

918-357-2984 before 4pm CST.

Ask for Jim.
Thank you,

Jason

robinson727

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
Jason, any chance of getting a photo?

Thank you
 Al

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »
Could have bought one today at the Long Beach Hi-Po swap meet for $100
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro