Author Topic: Adding Salt to my Diet :-)  (Read 10380 times)

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Adding Salt to my Diet :-)
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 03:50:24 PM »
Wear the helmet onboard -- tell them you're afraid of sudden downdrafts.

There ya go :lol:... you can even put a helmet cam on it and document your trip
Not to mention how much it will help retain your seat space form the guy next to you being a seat hog.  :-D
Todd

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 06:26:52 PM »
A couple of posts ago someone questioned the schedule for the end of WoS.  I talked with Hugh Coltharp yesterday and they'll be making runs 'til mid-day Saturday and then pull the plug on the event.  So:  Tech on Tuesday, runs on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and half of Saturday, then pull up the wires and start getting things out of the way for the private meet, whose organizers have "rented" the Salt from Sunday AM on, I think he said.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

roadtrip

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 07:01:02 PM »
I wanted to travel light and didn't want to pack and check a bag large enough to put a helmet in, so I'm going use my helmet as my carry-on to SLC.
Tape the face shield closed, put cameras, necessary paperwork, meds (that's only for us old *truckstopers*) and anything else you can't live without inside the helmet, cinch the chin strap tight and away you go.
Had this planned some time ago. After a 33 year career with Delta, I can see no reason at all why this this can't be done. You wouldn't believe some of the crap that gets carried on.
DS

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »
Thanks for all the responses!  I will go ahead and carry on the helmet as my personal item.  The United flight from Denver to Salt Lake may be a smaller jet but planeside checkin doesn't bother me.  Final decision will be whether to take the fire suit as that will definitely force me to check a bag which I usually avoid when possible and since united now charges $35 for checking 1 bag I might as well continue that trend!  Look forward to meeting up with you Carl and Narider as well if I spot you!  What team are helping out on?

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »
how big are you?
I'm 6 foot and weigh 220 -  and have a fire suit available if you want to wear it.
Carl
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
You are just too darn nice, Carl!  I am 5'10" and around 216 so it probably would fit just fine.  By the way, I went to 'test drive' a manual '87 yesterday to get a feel for the 4 speed but it turned out to be an automatic as most are around here.  I am guessing smooth shifts with a light touch is critical on the salt to avoid wheelspin. I am thinking that my road course experience should pay off in feeling that out.

Hey Cajun, how many crew members do you need to run in October?  Did you drive down the taxiway or get a push/pull from your crew?  I can help you load and unload but don't ask me to push your ride with my Miata!  :-)

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »
No problem guy,  I get as big a kick watching somebody come back affter a run - with that goofy grin on their face, as I do making the run myself.  as for the shift -  doesn't need to fast -  clutch in -  positive shift - easy on the clutch out as you gently roll in the throttle.  The only thing that matters is top gear and engine RPM at the finish -  early or late shifts don't seem to affect top speed.  With the vette -  you won't be pulling over 4200 RPM -  beyond that you will be loosing HP - so you just shift at 4000 -  and everything is good!

Right now I am leaning toward travelling wednesday -  and running thurs - sat.  We have to share the car -  I think a buddy of mine wants to go for the 150 club -  but that should not be an issue!

see ya in a few weeks
Carl
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 10:47:22 PM »
Hey, Carl, speaking of the Clubs -- Nancy and I have our own firesuit now.  Is the offer open to us, too?  We'd sure like to ride your car.  We're planning to arrive at the Salt by Monday evening and won't leave 'til the Friday after WoS ends (staying for a couple of private time things).

See you soon, Birdbrain.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »
Milt, for the October meet...if my entire crew is in Charlotte on Saturday, I will be all alone at Maxton. I guess I could get by with one or two helpers.

I drive the car from the pits to the staging  lanes and also from shutdown to impound and then again from impound to the pits. (so no tow or push car needed,,, unless the lines are backed up to the dirt road or beyond at staging)

I could use help loading and unloading (but not main need) Big help needed is once I am in the staging lines pushing the car and then helping me get all buckled in and pushed the last  few spaces before I can start and stage on starting line.

I can't keep cranking the car to move up dozens of times in the stageing lanes.

(Plus if it's hot, I sure can't set all suited up and bake either)

Charles

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:16:35 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 11:48:27 PM »
Hey, Carl, speaking of the Clubs -- Nancy and I have our own firesuit now.  Is the offer open to us, too?  We'd sure like to ride your car.  We're planning to arrive at the Salt by Monday evening and won't leave 'til the Friday after WoS ends (staying for a couple of private time things).

See you soon, Birdbrain.
John,
you both are more than welcome.  That particular car only techs out for 130 club or 150 club -  but you are more than welcome to the ride!  I haven't forgotten my promise to you,  next year I'll have a real fire breather ready for you and the Nancinator!
Carl
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline gofast

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »
Charles,
I'll keep an eye out for you. Half the population of the state of Maine will be there. We should be able to give you a hand. We are experts at pushing cars around.
Marcia
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 10:37:35 PM »
Marcia,  If your group pits where you have been the last several times, Hopefully I will be in that General area behind the food vendor in cul-de-sac area accros taxi way from the turn out just before the finish line. (gosh I hope I just explained that location properly?

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline gofast

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 09:15:51 AM »
Hey, you talk almost good as us!
That's where we'll be, as close to the ambulance as we can get.
Marcia
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 10:01:33 AM »
Charles,

Hint on Maine talk; when you cross the the river into "Kit-tree" every where you go from anywhere on the coast in Maine is down...... down to Eastport, "down to Kit-tree".  Not as sure about inlander speak, I'm just a sometime "carpetbagger"  :-D   Big state, maybe not many but all good people.

Sure they will take good care of you at Oct Maxton.  Hope I can get down to both Sept and Oct meets, looking forward to seeing everyone [from all sides of the Ridge here] again.

Ed

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 06:11:38 PM »
I took a full face helmet in my carry-on bag for Daytona Bike Week with no problem. I have a friend in Port Orange who supplies the Honda Blackbird & room