Author Topic: Adding Salt to my Diet :-)  (Read 10375 times)

Offline MiltonP

Adding Salt to my Diet :-)
« on: August 24, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »
Haven't posted since attending the last meet.  I had a great time and wanted to thank all of you that put up with my newbie questions, especially Tonya and Donna.

I had a ticket voucher to use so I decided to go out to speedweek.  Gives me a chance to scout it out before driving the Miata out next year for an attempt, ludicrous or not, at the 130 mph club.  I was surprised my rooms still available at around $40 a night at the motel 6.  Haven't booked a rental car for transportation from Salt Lake yet.  Wasn't sure if they get pissy about taking the cars to the salt even just to spectate. 

I am debating Jo Dee Messina concert 9pm friday as a LSR party would be preferable or maybe even sleep after a long day on the Salt!  Also considering catching Rolex series related races on saturday at Miller Motorsports Park.  Anybody heading out just to spectate or know of any 'must do' related activities?  Thanks.   Milt

Offline MiltonP

Ok...Color me Stupid...World of Speed not Speedweek...doh
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »
Ok...  So I booked a different event.   Hope World of Speed has some interesting stuff running in any case!  Anyone been there before?

Offline Freud

Re: Adding Salt to my Diet :-)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:15:06 PM »
Rental Cars........
The worry is about cleaning them before returning them. I spent $5 on a wash job by two young men at the gas stop. Then when I arrived in SLC I went to a TESORO Station , 1699 W. North Temple. It's not far off the East Bound freeway. just take the North Temple exit.
I bought the $7 ULTIMATE wash at the pump as I filled up and was rewarded with a $1 rebate.. It was amazing. No brushes and the car doesn't move during the wash. When it  was finished the check in at Enterprise commented on how clean the car was. The ULTIMATE washes the bottom side also.
Obviously I had no problem.
Don't worry. A towel duct taped to the floor matt on the drivers side makes it so u don't even have to vacuum the inside.

I even learned something new this year.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 02:27:20 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I am looking forward to the experience.  From what I am reading now it appears that the 130 mph club in only at World of Speed so my buddies and I won't be able to particiapte in Speedweek unless i attempt to run in class there.  In that case, maybe I will fly out for that next year and drive to World of Speed if I want to make a pass.  In any case, I will get to experience both events as a spectator and it looks like World of Speed may be more spectator oriented while the higher speed classes may only run at Speedweek.  I am basing that off the runs and records from 2007 though.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »
Milton, will you be back at Maxton in Sept or Oct ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:35:40 AM »
Thanks for the response.  I am looking forward to the experience.  From what I am reading now it appears that the 130 mph club in only at World of Speed so my buddies and I won't be able to particiapte in Speedweek unless i attempt to run in class there.  In that case, maybe I will fly out for that next year and drive to World of Speed if I want to make a pass.  In any case, I will get to experience both events as a spectator and it looks like World of Speed may be more spectator oriented while the higher speed classes may only run at Speedweek.  I am basing that off the runs and records from 2007 though.
Milton,
Can you drive a manual trans vehicle?  if so,  and you are so inclined,  Make it to World of Speed and you can drive my 86 vette for the 130 club.  The car has already put 7 different people in the club,  I usually bring it along for family friends or whoever wants to make a run at it.

So if you show up and pay your entry,  i have the car, safety gear, crew etc to make it a good experience for you!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:47:25 PM »
Carl, 

That is a real nice offer.  I really appreciate it.  My Miata is manual and I have driven quite a few other manuals though no vettes.  I thought I read that once you are a member of the 130 mph club you can't run for it again.  I do have mixed feelings about getting in with your vette if that would prevent me from making an attempt with my Miata if I drive it out next year. 

Three questions...

I fly in Wednesday and won't make it to the flats until Thursday morning.  Does that cause a problem?

Guessing with todays fair travel rules a helmet would have to be in a checked bag.  Anyone know for sure?

I am a member of ECTA.  Can I get the USFRA membership onsite since the date is getting close for mail?

Charles,  I will definitely be running at Maxton in October but am doubtful for September unless weather for Outlaws in Pennsylvania looks bad enough for me to pass on that event.  My buddies expect my RV there!   :oops:  Milt

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:25:22 PM »
Milt,

I understand multiple commitments on the same weekend.  I will be at Maxton in Sept.  I want to be there in Oct. also but GoodGuys is in Charlotte that wekkend in Oct. My crew will be in Charlotte (they have registered there own cars for that show and I can't ask them to forfiet there own fun and money)

I am looking at all options for being at Maxton in Oct. (may only be there Sunday) depends on available help etc...

Take care,

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:27:30 PM »
Milt,  I may be wrong but is the 130 club one entry per person/driver or per car?

Can you enter the 130 club with one car and then enter again with another car ?

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 10:18:31 PM »
My understanding is that you get 5 runs for $75 and that you need to average 130 for 2 runs. If you hit 140 or above you are disqualified.  I don't know if that is just for that event or forever.  I believe that once you average 130 for 2 runs that you don't get to attempt more runs.  I am not sure if that is just for that car, that meet or forever since you have made the club at that point.

roadtrip

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 11:34:38 PM »
USFRA membership --- $40
Entry fee ------------ $75
Course prep fee ------ $35
                             _____
                              $150

Five passes
Need two @ 130 MPH or more (not an average)
Once your name is on the club list that's it.
The car can go as many times with as many drivers as you want
but has to be re-entered and re-numbered with each different driver.
DS

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »
According to Ellen,
once you are in the club you are in.  But if you want to run another car or whatever they don't mind.  I will be going for it on a 350 cc motorcycle.  So if you want in in your miata -  you will have to wait.  If you wanna go for it in our trusty old 86 vette (so far it has put 8 different drivers into the 130 club) you are more than welcome.  I porobably won't arrive till thursday late -  and will have the car there ready to run all day fri sat & sunday (are they even running sunday?)

Carl
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:31:02 AM »
Ok...  So I booked a different event.   Hope World of Speed has some interesting stuff running in any case!  Anyone been there before?

Milton, this will be my first trip there as well. My wife and I just returned from Speed Week (experience of our lifetime due to the great individuals of this forum by the way), and we have yet to finish getting our thoughts out on it... but I will be attending WOS as a third party team member in a couple weeks. So I look forward to seeing you there and hearing of your experience afterwards as well.

Guessing with todays fair travel rules a helmet would have to be in a checked bag.  Anyone know for sure?

Maybe Deb and others can help on this... she had it down pat for us on weights, sizes and contnents. I think there's a 50lb max for check on and it's more expensive to go over weight on one bag then it is to add another, so you'll want to keep it split up appropriattely.
Todd

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 03:13:35 PM »
Wear the helmet onboard -- tell them you're afraid of sudden downdrafts.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 03:39:01 PM »
Funny!

I would seriously bring the helmet on board. Have you seen what they do to luggage? They would surely use up your one drop & it's out on the helmet! BTW, I did not find a helmet on the restricted items list anywhere while looking at it 2 weeks ago! BUT if you are in doubt bring all of your luggage inside to the check-in desk and specifically ask the attendant first before they send your bags through. This way if it is a concern you can cram it into your check bags before they whisk it away.

From my experience I don't see a problem fitting the helmet in the overhead or even under the seat in front of you if you lay it sideways. Each airline has their carry on & check baggage weight & size restrictions listed on their websites somewhere under baggage. It takes a little looking but it's there. Like Todd said it's cheaper to pay for an extra bag then it is an over weight bag. Usually around $50 more for overweight vs extra!!! It's worth checking out anyway since most airlines have started charging for luggage even for the first bag!

Good luck with it!
Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol: