Author Topic: Streamlining Question  (Read 7148 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: Streamlining Question
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »
hey eric  nice to hear from you --although i dont understand anything you say i have a feeling you know what you are talking about --so ill tell you what you draw it up --ill build and drive it and if it works you can have the credit --i have a two 112 hp motors they are 1000 cc pushrod motors 1000 cc class or 2000 cc class makes me no never mind  --LETS ROCK       willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 08:51:54 PM »
Hawkwind, you are right the boat-tail fairing was only used for one time on the 1973 Can-Am bike.....and it was used in a combination with a
partial fairing on the front......................................
If a full "dustbin" had been used in the combination with the boat-tail it may have worked a lot better.
I was at Bonneville when NSU ran their record setting bikes in 1956......They had to run at almost o wind....and even then the bikes were very unstable.  When Heinz Herz made his visit to
the BUB at Bonneville a couple of years back , he ran a replica fairing, the same as his father ran in 1956, however, he was using Honda power.
He did not get the speeds his father ran on the NSU, and I did not get to talk to him after his run
to find out if his replica handled.  It is my understanding down the road we may be able to
try out the NSU fairing, that's another story later.  However, it should be kept in mind that
in order to run that fairing on a bike.........it would have to be at the BUB........it would not pass BNI Tech.
Maybe Pork-Pie can ask Heinz how his Honda
replica worked for him when he ran at the BUB.

P.S. Pork-Pie, stop by and see us in Mainz next weekend at the Custom Chrome Show Europe,
the dealer show will be open to the public on Sunday.....look for Barnett Tool & eng.............
It would be great to talk to you in person..B.B.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »
Hawkwind, you are right the boat-tail fairing was only used for one time on the 1973 Can-Am bike.....and it was used in a combination with a
partial fairing on the front......................................
If a full "dustbin" had been used in the combination with the boat-tail it may have worked a lot better.
I was at Bonneville when NSU ran their record setting bikes in 1956......They had to run at almost o wind....and even then the bikes were very unstable.  When Heinz Herz made his visit to
the BUB at Bonneville a couple of years back , he ran a replica fairing, the same as his father ran in 1956, however, he was using Honda power.
He did not get the speeds his father ran on the NSU, and I did not get to talk to him after his run
to find out if his replica handled.  It is my understanding down the road we may be able to
try out the NSU fairing, that's another story later.  However, it should be kept in mind that
in order to run that fairing on a bike.........it would have to be at the BUB........it would not pass BNI Tech.
Maybe Pork-Pie can ask Heinz how his Honda
replica worked for him when he ran at the BUB.

P.S. Pork-Pie, stop by and see us in Mainz next weekend at the Custom Chrome Show Europe,
the dealer show will be open to the public on Sunday.....look for Barnett Tool & eng.............
It would be great to talk to you in person..B.B.

I kind of got to be buddies with the two mechanics that came over with Heinz (let one of them drive my truck).  If I remember right and the German to English was not working great he was having some handling problems, but I think they also said that Heinz didn't have that much experience either with something like that.  Be interesting to see what Pork Pie can find out.

Have a good trip over there,

Sum

Blue

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 02:19:15 AM »
hey eric  nice to hear from you --although i dont understand anything you say i have a feeling you know what you are talking about --so ill tell you what you draw it up --ill build and drive it and if it works you can have the credit --i have a two 112 hp motors they are 1000 cc pushrod motors 1000 cc class or 2000 cc class makes me no never mind  --LETS ROCK       willie buchta
The credit would be all yours for building and driving it.  I'm just here to spread knowledge.  I can tell you that after nearly 10 years the best minds in air racing still can't figure out how I've done what I've done:  make airplanes faster with drag reduction than turbos.  Call me at 775-302-6762 or email eahlstrom@pyramid.net