Author Topic: crewcab dually with allison jet engine  (Read 8659 times)

Offline wayne4000

• New folks
crewcab dually with allison jet engine
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:27:09 AM »
is there a class for my truck ,any tips on build ,what kind of tires  should i use ,can i use stock glass ,what are the rules on roll cage , any idea how fast truck may be :-D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:12:19 AM by wayne4000 »
Wayne4000

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
Re: crewcab dually with allison jet engine
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:04:25 AM »
Hi Wayne. unfortunately SCTA does not allow jetcars on the lakes or Bonneville. your bet bet is exhibition at NHRA, monster truck shows etc. I had a J34 powered car for a while, great fun!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:38:31 AM »
is there a class for my truck

Sorry Wayne but no class for your truck. To be able to run at SCTA your motor must drive the wheels.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 17dracing

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:51:36 PM »
 Sure does look like a big build !!!! What motor is that ? Looks alot bigger than the ones used in all the show off cars that run in NHRA !!! I know you can't run stock glass in NHRA or IHRA  sanctioning bodies ! Look into some info , on Art Arfons old toys !!!! He was the man at the aviation motors !!!!

McRat

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 01:35:10 AM »
Heck, since it can run on #1 or #2 diesel, run it at DHRA or NADM diesel drag events.  www.dhraonline.com or www.runNADM.com

The way things are going, they should let you run it street class.  :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 03:28:47 PM »
is there a class for my truck ,any tips on build ,what kind of tires  should i use ,can i use stock glass ,what are the rules on roll cage , any idea how fast truck may be :-D

Faster than the jet the engine came out of.
 A few things missing on info. and pictures, my leg is being stretched. :?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:33:03 PM by jl222 »

McRat

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 03:37:18 PM »
I don't think it's a photoshop.  I think it's the product of a very sick mind.

I like it!   :-D

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 10:19:55 AM »
The Pick A Part jet Truck runs about 168 MPH and has the same engine that you have. I would check with Bob Vance at Pick a Part with questions. I would think NHRA and air shows is where you will find your place to run. That is where we run our jet funny car
Long Live the Comp Coupe's

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 07:16:10 PM »
I'd lose the high mount brake light - anything following that close will have bigger worries than if you're coming to a stop.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:59:29 AM »
If Allison makes a turboshaft version of that engine and you hook it up to your transmission or rear end, you could run it in the omega class, but check the safety rules. My build is based around using 2 much smaller turbine engines with the thrust of both collected and merged into a "Y" pipe hooked up to a tubineshaft PTO that i will probably order from Allison. Good luck, i'd like a picture with that truck if you can brring it out and run it.
Wierd is good

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 05:04:10 AM »
What a lovely engine. Gotta be pretty early as it stinks of Frank Whittle. Many years ago I bought a DeHavilland Ghost engine, as fitted to Venom and Vampire fighters, and the doomed Comet airliner. I think it was 1954? I paid £250 for it and thought it would be quite small. Wrong. The starter on the top was level with my eyes (I'm 5' 8") and the jetpipe was @3' diameter. I never did get around to firing it up, but I actually fell in love with that motor, until I bought a brand new, still in the box, Merlin.
You have good taste Sir!
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
Hey Chris show them the pictures of it mounted in the Transit van.... Way coool!!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline jl222

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 01:47:12 PM »
is there a class for my truck ,any tips on build ,what kind of tires  should i use ,can i use stock glass ,what are the rules on roll cage , any idea how fast truck may be :-D

Maybe you could get a missfired bunker busting bomb [ the front part designed to bust through concrete with no explosives in it]
and mount it on the front of truck, then use a long steel cable for the parachute line.
  This will enable you to be winched out of the middle of floating mountain with little damage to truck and make adjustments for next run :-P

JL222 :cheers:

P.S. don't foget the streamlined fuel trailer with blowoff hitch

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:53:20 PM by jl222 »