Author Topic: crankshaft weight  (Read 3032 times)

Offline 2stroke

• New folks
crankshaft weight
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
I am new to this whole deal and was hoping for some guidance.  Most of my experience riding and "tuning" has come from drag racing and road racing and I found a lighter crank helped on the road course.  Since LSR type racing (Maxton) is all about accelerating and trying to acheive a serious top end charge, I wanted some input as to what works.  Although most of my experience is with two strokes, I'm not sure that 2 or 4 makes any difference with regard to flywheel weight.  An ideas?  Thanks in advance.....

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: crankshaft weight
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:32:26 PM »
2 Stroke,
As you said at Maxton, where you have good traction and a shorter amount of track to get up to speed, having a light flywheel, clutch and rotating parts will help you go faster. Different deal at Bonneville where traction is much harder to find. I think that you would find heavier rotating engine parts will help you maintain traction and go faster.

I raced two strokes in the desert a few millenium ago and we found that bikes like the original 400 Zooks were almost impossible to ride in the desert because they had no flywheel weight and the common fix was to add a 3-5 lb flywheel.

I still love two strokes! Jack Costello's little yellow streamliner bike went over 208 with a Honda CR250 two stroke!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.