Author Topic: Propster is illegal, Why?  (Read 37468 times)

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
Re: Propster is illegal, Why?
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2008, 10:17:04 AM »
after looking at interested bystanders pictures, the vehicle in the pictures has a venue where it can run, any local soap box berby.  and i think their rules are a bit more relaxed.  the "car???" (what would you call it?) looks suspiciously like one i saw race back in the 70's, at least the paint job is the same.  maybe the builder is going for the crossover vote, rat rod - resto prop driven vehicle.
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2008, 12:47:13 AM »
Okay Franklin.... I challenge you!
 I will build the ultimate thrust powered racer. It too will be of composite construction. A vehicle consisting of steel, aluminum, and plastics.
Although your propster is powered by an overhead valve engine mine will be powered by a high revving 2 cycle engine... the propeller will definitely be exceeding the speed of sound... not to worry though... It was constructed by Hamilton Standard ( They make toilets also.). The construction  will be done by the most highly competent crew of Oregon National Guard Infantry, and a Middle school shop teacher that actually has all ten of his fingers, plus my utmost creative influence.
 I propose that to save on transportation costs we should meet half way.. Say some place in Nebraska, or Misery so we can race down hill, and uphill, and down hill... well you get the idea. I can supply the documentation... I have a cousin named Bob that has a camera, and he takes pictures real good.
I will try to keep up with a build diary... Although my crew is just burning to get this over with... as soon as I can figure out how to post... I will get you photos.

Till then...  Wigs on fire... Smitty

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2008, 03:28:39 AM »
Quote from: Peter Jack on September 01, 2008, 09:54:58 AM
Then go build yourself a truckstop boat and quit bothering us!

Quote from: Ratlif Don't have a clue what "a truckstop boat" means.

"Truckstop" is one the words that Slim has changed a curse word to.

And aeroplanes dont' have prop guards because there aint as many pedestrians up in the sky

As the old saying goes "clear the prop"
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2008, 07:01:36 PM »
after looking at interested bystanders pictures, the vehicle in the pictures has a venue where it can run, any local soap box berby.  and i think their rules are a bit more relaxed.

While a funny thought, as a former participant in the Gravity Grand Prix (yeah, everybody knew this was commin'), I can guarantee you that Franklin's car, even with the engine and prop removed, would not pass tech.  If you think the SCTA is tough on tech, try going up against the Cedar Rapids Jaycees.

http://www.aasbd.com/SBD_rules.htm

But all joking aside, I am in complete agreement with John Romero - I'd love to see it run, and nothing would give me a bigger smile than having my gut-level instincts about the Propster's potential for speed dismissed by an eyebrow raising pass.  I would also applaud a failed or underwhelming attempt, because it is in the attempt that the courage of one's convictions are shown.  To have such a project this far along, it seems a shame to let it sit.

One last thought - even if it only went 20mph, I've got to believe that it would be a hoot driving this thing.   

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: