Author Topic: Propster is illegal, Why?  (Read 37470 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: Propster is illegal, Why?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2008, 04:47:47 PM »
mcrat  you have to do 2 runs too set the record  --------------

rich  couldnt franklin if it would pass tech  run for time only or does it still have to be a wheel driven vehicle    --------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2008, 04:53:11 PM »
franklin--i dont think you will ever get an invite---like you i waited for an invite for 61 years --it never came so  year 62 i sent in my entry fee and then they sent me the invite ---silly me i shouldnt have waited that long --neither should you   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2008, 04:57:26 PM »
franklin--i dont think you will ever get an invite---like you i waited for an invite for 61 years --it never came so  year 62 i sent in my entry fee and then they sent me the invite ---silly me i shouldnt have waited that long --neither should you   willie buchta

I was merely pointing out the myths and other silly folkloric crap some people would like to believe about the propster.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
As Dan stated, Franklin was invited to bring it out and run it Time Only, much as the Rear engine Mod Roadsters did. John Beckett also invited him to Maxton. John required a guard around the prop, much the same as any air boat and most household fans. Franklin refused because of a proposed chute mounting interference. On a 50 mph machine. Franklin also said the towing expense to reach Bonneville were beyond his means. Hard to understand his point in wanting to run somewhere he can't afford to go. Nevertheless some of the Header Flames guys stepped up with tow money so that the issue could be ended at last. Franklin once again refused, I believe because he has no interest in resolution. Only endless debate. And he has no desire that his "car" be put on display. My guess. As Franklin is "Ignored" I will miss his response. And that's OK because I'm only feeding his obsession.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »
As Dan stated, Franklin was invited to bring it out and run it Time Only, much as the Rear engine Mod Roadsters did. John Beckett also invited him to Maxton. John required a guard around the prop, much the same as any air boat and most household fans. Franklin refused because of a proposed chute mounting interference. On a 50 mph machine. Franklin also said the towing expense to reach Bonneville were beyond his means. Hard to understand his point in wanting to run somewhere he can't afford to go. Nevertheless some of the Header Flames guys stepped up with tow money so that the issue could be ended at last. Franklin once again refused, I believe because he has no interest in resolution. Only endless debate. And he has no desire that his "car" be put on display. My guess. As Franklin is "Ignored" I will miss his response. And that's OK because I'm only feeding his obsession.

The Headerflames guys didn't step up with jackshit.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »
franklin  after seeing the pics. posted you have my attention would you please post some details--like--weight-frontel area--cd--hoursepower --size of prop--projected speed --and gas milage--prop in front or rear----what effect in aero with a front or rear prop ---and any other info that you have---------thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2008, 05:30:31 PM »

That 85 mph prop car is from November 1934, another example of how there were prop rods before there was an SCTA.

Franklin:

Do you seriously believe that this:

went 85 mph in 1934??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2008, 05:46:40 PM »

That 85 mph prop car is from November 1934, another example of how there were prop rods before there was an SCTA.

Franklin:

Do you seriously believe that this:

went 85 mph in 1934??

Mike

Before 1930, the closed course record for board track cars was over 140 mph.

In 1931, the Rail Zeppelin prop-driven railcar had raised the railroad speed record to over 140 mph.

In any case, there were prop rods before there was an SCTA.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »
franklin  after seeing the pics. posted you have my attention would you please post some details--like--weight-frontel area--cd--hoursepower --size of prop--projected speed --and gas milage--prop in front or rear----what effect in aero with a front or rear prop ---and any other info that you have---------thanks  willie buchta

Engine is a 96 cubic inch VW Bug motor converted to an aircraft configuratiom but with a Weber two-barrel carb and a stock VW ignition. It could be a 65 horsepower motor, or it could be a 50 horsepower motor.

Prop is a wooden fixed pitch two-blade set for top speed not acceleration.

Empty weight is approximately 800 lbs.

Frontal area is nine square feet.

Best guess on the Cd is .60
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:09:12 PM by Ratliff »

McRat

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2008, 06:18:26 PM »
Have you run it yet for fun with a GPS?  My guess would be 70mph.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »
"In any case, there were prop rods before there was an SCTA."

Cool. Is there a SCPRA (Southern California Prop Rod Association)? Wayno

Offline willieworld

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2008, 07:44:58 PM »
franklin your rig should run 135 mph with a transmission driving the rear wheel --with a propeller i suspect much less ---gps is probibly the answer --its a long way to bonneville there must be a road in florida where you could test with gps    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »
Slim. I apologize for taking up bandwidth on this post... the check is in the mail.

Franklin! I love you man! Let me know your address and by god I'll come on down and strap your car on and, we'll see what that baby can do. I'll bring camera, GPS, stopwatch... what ever it takes. Lets put this bullshit to bed.
I go to sleep at night thinking about what it will be like when, and if I ever get a chance to make even a "For Time" run... Hell... strap me into one of those WalMart scooters and I'll go for it! Just give me me a chance! I'd give up my retirement just for the chance to drive something.
 This year I drove 825 miles to get to Speed Week... only to have to turn around on Monday morning and drive all the way back home because one of my troopies was in trouble... I'd do it again in a heartbeat. ( Sorry Slim.. I got in to late for Salt Talks... I really wanted to get a T shirt :oops:) Well next year...
 As far as putting a chute on a bike rider... In my 30's I went for my "Air Wings"... That involved going out the back of a C-130 at 250 mph about 400 feet off the ground... not only did that take care of my child bearing problems... I graduated with a broken ankle. I can't imagine getting yanked off the bike then slamming into the ground from 3 feet... I see broken Pelvises there.
 Anyway Frank... If you really want to see what that monster will do... go out and get a ticket in it... make a scan of the ticket and post it. Thats the only way you are going to proof that baby.... or... let me drive it :-D

Smitty