Author Topic: Propster is illegal, Why?  (Read 37456 times)

427MG

Re: Propster is illegal, Why?
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »
Thanks Rich, that looks a little how I imagined it would....although the unshielded prop was a bit of a surprise. :-o

I wonder if there'll be any others?

Airplanes don't have shielded props either. And nobody requires guards around those spinning disks on motorcycles called wheels. Unlike airboats, racecars already have a cage around the driver. Airboats have a cage around the prop because (A) they would otherwise have no where to mount the rudders (B) they need something to keep brush and branches off the prop and (C) there would otherwise be nothing between the driver and passengers and the prop.

Aeroplanes don't have shielded props because they are usually out on an airfield away from from pedestrians and once they're in the air it becomes a moot point. Airboats can easily have the rudders mounted without a safety cage and your point (C) kind of shoots yourself in the foot from what I can see in the picture as all that is between the driver and the prop is the engine as with some airboats.

Can you imagine the carnage on the start-line at a busy SpeedWeek with that prop spinning around? It wouldn't be difficult to make it safe now, would it?

Regarding your point about the financing...I, like many others, am completely self financing without a second mortgage or ramped up credit card bills and I have a  road legal car that will eventually reach 200mph to show for it. Some people have sponsors and good luck to them if they can take that route. It all helps..

John Romero

« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
... Nobody makes money in land speed racing. Unlike some of those guys who've spent $50,000 or $100,000 or more, I incurred no debts on the propster. I did not rack up a credit card bill or a second mortgage. Everything was pay as you go. How many of you can say the  same?

I can. And I just came back from Speedweek as well.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2008, 05:38:46 PM »

Nobody makes money in land speed racing. Unlike some of those guys who've spent $50,000 or $100,000 or more, I incurred no debts on the propster. I did not rack up a credit card bill or a second mortgage. Everything was pay as you go. How many of you can say the  same?

I can and it has been that way with five different cars since 1962.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »
I can, and even got a free red hat.  Ask the Amo boys about the hat I gave them honoring you.  No prop guard, either.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2008, 06:18:26 PM »
Willie and I have about $3000 each in our bikes. We didnt borrow money or use our credit cards (we don't have any)  We go to 6 races at El Mirage and 2 at Bonneville each year. If we are short on money instead of a motel room we sleep in the trailer and cook our own food.        Sheri Buchta

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2008, 06:36:47 PM »
I can. I'm building my Lakester out of my pocket. I'm living on Tequila and neopolitan ice cream because it has all the colors of the rainbow so it must be good for me. I just said that to keep this on topic.  :roll: Wayno

John Romero

« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
Airplanes don't have shielded props either. And nobody requires guards around those spinning disks on motorcycles called wheels. Unlike airboats, racecars already have a cage around the driver. Airboats have a cage around the prop because (A) they would otherwise have no where to mount the rudders (B) they need something to keep brush and branches off the prop and (C) there would otherwise be nothing between the driver and passengers and the prop.

Imagine the unlucky steward tasked with getting to the emergency kill switch on the propster with a running engine!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2008, 06:59:47 PM »
Yeah and his want of thrust vehicles would require a  1/4 mile clear area behind them or a blast wall. Talk about delays it takes a little time to start a jet and spool up. Everyone behind the jet blast would be just thrilled. I think I would be a little more then upset ( nice word for Pi** ed off) with salt dust blowing all over my vehicles and crew.  :?

Old Coot :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2008, 07:30:40 PM »

... Nobody makes money in land speed racing. Unlike some of those guys who've spent $50,000 or $100,000 or more, I incurred no debts on the propster. I did not rack up a credit card bill or a second mortgage. Everything was pay as you go. How many of you can say the  same?

been waiting two years for the Gods of the lake to see fit to give us a solid surface but yeah , WE CAN!! :-D :-P....hard work , dedication and spending it as it came..... we , are little blokes , and it seems Franko there's more of us showin' you up than even you thought possible.... :roll: :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 2pulsejets

• New folks
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2008, 08:47:27 PM »
Just wandered in on this thread and decided to read all the way through WOW
I am building a thrust powered bicycle and would happily wait the whole of any event week to make a run even without the promise of it happening .
More details to follow as soon as my engines arrive
Roy

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2008, 10:06:57 PM »
Just sent myself the two pictures in my files of the REAL propster as a test- Am gonna TRY to attach them here-
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2008, 10:12:45 PM »
The rear view didn't show I'm trying again

John Romero

« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »
The difficult thing here is that while I have tired of Franklin, I would still like to see the Propster run.

When you put you mind to work on the possibilities of a truly aerodynamic shape and a pusher prop, the possibilities are mind boggling. The things that are simplified and numerous. Of course, the challenges are numerous also so a spirit of cooperation would be required to prove the concepts safety to a sanctioning body.

But then I wake up and see the train wreck that pretty much all of Franklins threads descend to and am quickly brought back to reality.

« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »
In Franklin's behalf, I'm sincerely with you, John.

Can't you see a land-bound pusher- prop version of the Nemesis race plane whizzing down the salt? Cool!

But then there's Reality.

Blue

« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2008, 01:28:33 AM »
I hadn't seen these pictures before...

In a word, it's blunt.  Never mind the front 90%, the prop is almost completely shrouded in separated flow.  If he's getting better than 30% installed thrust I would be surprised.  Might be as little as 20% once it gets rolling, and it will get worse with speed.

Putting a cage around the prop wouldn't be hard or expensive, ditto on increasing the roll cage gauge.  Like I said before, he was offered money to run it and wouldn't.  So it's a dog that won't hunt and needs to stay in its house instead of embarass its owner in the field.