Author Topic: Project Hayabusa  (Read 47843 times)

Offline isiahstites

Project Hayabusa
« on: August 14, 2008, 11:08:51 PM »
I bought this last month for $2700 it is an 03' Hayabusa with 11500 miles on the clock. The bike has a salvaged title as it was laid down on its right side. It only had minor damage to everything else on the bike with the exception of the fairing.

This is going to be my next land speed project. I have lots of plans for this bike and anticipate a long build time on this one as I have another bike I need to finish to pay for this one and I still have half of the racing season left with my Buell.

Here it is stripped down and almost ready to race in the unfaired class. I may run the bike at El Mirage the last two events of the year in its current configuration. Thanks to John Noonan for hooking me up with a starter cover so I could get her running. John and a member of another forum helped me figure out how to bypass the ignition since I didn't have a key and I got her running yesterday. I am pretty amazed at how strong the bike is in stock form.

Once I start building the bike it is going to see major changes, starting with a custom frame that I will build from scratch and lots of other custom one off parts to make her go fast. Eventually when the chassis is done and the stock motor is bolted up and ready to run I will add a turbo system with more one off parts in hopes of making 500 horse. I plan on going really fast on this one.......it's just gonna take some time until I get there.

Offline gearheadeh

Re: Project Hayabusa
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:49:52 PM »
congrats on such an excellant purchase,great value there!. 8-)I have a nieve question: what is it about this HAYABUSA engine that is so much better at making power than any other engine....what did they do to make it so good? :roll:
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:05:23 AM »
congrats on such an excellant purchase,great value there!. 8-)I have a nieve question: what is it about this HAYABUSA engine that is so much better at making power than any other engine....what did they do to make it so good? :roll:

Big and strong...

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 05:30:48 AM »
Boy that sure cleaned up nice! It's just begging to be riddin naked!  :-D

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:43:40 AM »
Boy that sure cleaned up nice! It's just begging to be riddin naked!  :-D

Deb

Deb - I know you like to ride naked but I prefer to wear the proper gear! :-D

Scott

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:00:20 PM »
I am pretty amazed at how strong the bike is in stock form.

You do have a "free flowing" exhaust......I bet it sounds like the apocalypse!
Just for kicks you should do a few passes in your neighborhood around midnight....Oh the fun!

Hate to see you take the bike apart for the motor.....with a new headlight the thing would make a killer street fighter.....some would argue that the busa looks better this way!
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:05:57 PM »
I am pretty amazed at how strong the bike is in stock form.

You do have a "free flowing" exhaust......I bet it sounds like the apocalypse!
Just for kicks you should do a few passes in your neighborhood around midnight....Oh the fun!

Hate to see you take the bike apart for the motor.....with a new headlight the thing would make a killer street fighter.....some would argue that the busa looks better this way!

Yes, it does sound quite good with the "free flowing" exhaust! I have already made the neighborhood passes......not a problem on this bike as it is not near as load as the Buell.

As far as taking it apart for the motor, I will be taking it a part for the wheels, swing arm, front end and motor along with other misc parts I will need. I have a good working functional headlight that I took off so I would not ride it on the street.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »
Since finding out that the motor only had 11500 miles on it I have been anxious to get the bike down to the dyno. I was hoping it would make decent power and I was hoping to find out if there were any internal mods done to the motor. After a phone call to Noonan to see what a stock Hayabusa should make (he said 153 hp) for horespower.  I took the bike down to MDR and made a few passes amd was pleased after my runs to know that my motor is good and making 151 hp and 92 ft tq.

I only made a few passes just to test the motor and to get a baseline as I plan on a big tear down of the motor in the future. So far my $2700 Hayabusa is getting sweeter by the day!

Scott

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:44:55 PM »
The fact is that the fewer mods done to the bike is better off for you.

I purchased a motor that still had the pair valve installed and stock header.
It had 10K miles on it but it was clear by looking that they had been highway miles (even had mud in the rad). Turns out that this was true after meeting the original owner....he used it as a commuter bike and never had been over 75 mph and got rid of it because it frightened him.

You can bet that if someone did a bunch of bolt on stuff he was not happy with the HP of the motor and wanted more……and this means it had the poop run out of it.

Just my advice to you…..dont buy any bike that I have ever owned!!!!!

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline SanMiguelRacing

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:54:27 PM »
Nice bike, Scott!
2008 P-P 1350cc Record Holder 205.1mph

Member of the 200mph Club

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 12:17:26 AM »
I am planning on racing the busa next weekend at El Mirage so I had some stuff to get ready so it would pass tech.

Well here is where I started today. I had to take the wheels off to balance them and put in metal valve stems.

Finished the saftey wiring

Steering stops

Home made kill switch

I had to put metal valve stems on the wheels

Here is my home made thrity minute battery hold down.

I cut the mud flap, license plate and blinkers off.

I am running with no mufflers so I have to extend them a little to get the exhaust away from my feet.

I cut some exhaust tubing and notched it in 4 places

I will put an exhaust clamp on to hold it in place.

Here is all of the stuff I removed off of the bike today...........I sold a bunch of the stuff I orginally took off of the bike and made about $600, so $2700 Busa is now a $2100 Busa.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »
Hey Scott...that motor still have the PAIR?

I would recomend pulling it without mufflers.

*Andres Segovia

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »
why?

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
Hey Scott...that motor still have the PAIR?

I would recomend pulling it without mufflers.

Huh?? Pair??

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 05:15:16 PM »
PAIR valve = Giant octopus in the front of the motor that lets exhaust to go back into the intake.

Some people say it makes more (3-5) HP with the removal. This may be true but I dont know for sure (it for sure doesnt make less!!!).
I know for a fact that once you open up the exhaust it will back fire like a motha if the Pair is still installed.

Also the Pair is fairly heavy (7 pounds?)....good to get it off the bike.

http://www.wardsweb.org/busa/hayabusa_mods_pairvalve.html

The bike may have already had the Pair removed. Its like the first thing you do when you get a busa (easy to make your own Pair blockoffs for a few more HP, cheap if you buy them and some weight reduction)

-JH
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:21:29 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

*Andres Segovia