Author Topic: Project Hayabusa  (Read 48030 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Project Hayabusa
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2009, 01:49:42 PM »
Scott,
We also run an Air Tech air box, we were told that in the "naked" classes, the ram air tubes might "direct air around the front of the bike" and thus were illegal. We took them off for that event but came back the next year with a "stubby" set of ram air tubes that did not extend past the rear edge of the forks, no problems with tech, we just cut down a stock set of tubes.
-Scott

Scott B.

Thank you..I remember it was someone that had to remove them...

J

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2009, 03:07:43 PM »
I do not have any tool to bend sheet metal so I cut small grooves where I wanted the bends.

Bike is looking good! 

If you have some angle iron and c-clamps, it's easier and faster.

I think I understand, but maybe you could fill me in to make sure.

Scott

If you don't understand, you're over complicating it!   :-D

Mark line for bend, clamp pair of angle iron up to line with C-clamps and bend the piece over.  The second angle iron piece prevents the C-clamp for marking up the aluminum as much and could be a piece of plywood or something.   :cheers:

At the rate I'm buying tools for cheap, I'll run across a real bender at some point.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2009, 07:14:43 PM »
John, I had to remove the air tubes from the ZX12R when running naked.  So that makes at least a pair of us.  And remember that it's up to the discretion of the inspector/judge in impound on whether the tubes are illegal.  If the inspector that does your bike BEFORE giving you an "inspected" sticker says no -- I'd consider checking with impound for his/their opinion.  Remember - the first inspection is for safety, not class compliance.  It'd be a heck of a note to qualify and back up a record and then find that you're not going to get the record because the guy in impoound says no.  If it went the other way -- you took 'em off and still set a record, then found you could have left them on -- well, I guess that'd be one way of sandbagging.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2009, 12:10:11 AM »
On the other hand, you may hate your gas tank position.  It looks like it will make your tuck a lot harder.  We had one in that position, always worried about the gas seal being disturbed by the rubbing leathers.

John - I built the tank to get rid of the stock tank so I could tuck. The stock gas tank and my now what seems to be permanent stomach interfered with one another. It was cheaper to remove the gas tank over my stomach. When I was building the tank I was constantly checking for clearances to ensure my legs and stomach had room.

Scott
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:46:12 AM by isiahstites »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
John, I had to remove the air tubes from the ZX12R when running naked.  So that makes at least a pair of us.  And remember that it's up to the discretion of the inspector/judge in impound on whether the tubes are illegal.  If the inspector that does your bike BEFORE giving you an "inspected" sticker says no -- I'd consider checking with impound for his/their opinion.  Remember - the first inspection is for safety, not class compliance.  It'd be a heck of a note to qualify and back up a record and then find that you're not going to get the record because the guy in impoound says no.  If it went the other way -- you took 'em off and still set a record, then found you could have left them on -- well, I guess that'd be one way of sandbagging.

Nothing like consistency in rule interpretation... and that is what you get sometimes....  :| hopefully it doesn't depend on your relationship with the person that decides...  :x
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 12:30:23 AM »

Nothing like consistency in rule interpretation... and that is what you get sometimes....  :| hopefully it doesn't depend on your relationship with the person that decides...  :x
[/quote]

Or your zip code :roll:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »
Long time no hear conspiracy therories.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
It took all week for me to gather all of the small items to make everything come together. It always seems like when I am building a bike it is all of the small special items, misc nuts and bolts that break the bank and take the longest to get.

Got the bracket from the stock seat mounted to the seat pan.

Weather stripping instead around the ducts for a good seal

And the inside as well

The second set of short stacks are installed along with IAT sensor.

New Yosh header installed, along with the oil cooler and radiator

Bodywork is complete from where the previous owner wrecked the bike. I will paint it tomorrow.

To save time I borrowed this tank from my friend Kent at Airtech. This was Noonans old tank, but I do not think it ever made it to a bike as I had to have a bung welded in for the gas cap.

Also had to weld in the flange for the stock pump, my friend Shannon did all of the welding as I suck at welding aluminum.

Stock pump installed

Tank installed! The tank was designed to sit lower, however with the stock pump it made it sit up a few inches so I made spacers to mount the tank to the old tank mount location. It works well and I can get way down on the tank and aribox.

I got the bike fired up today and took it for a test run! I am very happy with the way the bike is running. I hope to get to the dyno before next week so I can flash my ecu and make a few changes. If I have time I will add a dry shot of NOS, which at this point I do not think that is going to happen. The injector cleaning definately helped as the throttle is smooth and crisp, the bike seems more responsive and I believe there is some more power there.

A big thanks to J. Noonan, B. Moreland, K. Riches and R. Nelson for all of there help and support.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2009, 12:05:36 AM »
I had to cut part of the mid-pipe to accomodate my megaphone. Also welded in the 02 bung for my data logger.

After I finished the bodywork repairs I painted everything.

Front view of the bike

Side shit with everything painted. I still need to make a bracket to support the megaphone. The exhasut sounds mean, but then again all busa's sound mean. I also need to flash the ecu and get down to the dyno.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2009, 12:28:23 AM »
isiahstites, I am really glad to see the header (looks great BTW) on the bike and hope it wasnt too much of a problem with the missing tab.

I also have a Murrary exhaust megaphone you can have if the one you currently run isnt working for whatever reason (it is a good bit longer as it is for a sidewinder) although I dont see any issues with your current setup just know that it is an option if ya need it.

Also....

That header has already been to the salt and earned a record.
I hope it brings you luck also.

Everything looks great~

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2009, 01:53:26 AM »
isiahstites, I am really glad to see the header (looks great BTW) on the bike and hope it wasnt too much of a problem with the missing tab.

I also have a Murrary exhaust megaphone you can have if the one you currently run isnt working for whatever reason (it is a good bit longer as it is for a sidewinder) although I dont see any issues with your current setup just know that it is an option if ya need it.

Also....

That header has already been to the salt and earned a record.
I hope it brings you luck also.

Everything looks great~

~JH

I am never one to say no to free parts! I am going to be doing some dyno testing on different megaphones so send it if you can. Let me know how it costs to ship.

No problems with the header at all. I should of re-welded the tab on prior to putting it on the bike because now I need to support the megaphone, if that tab was there I wouldn't need one at the megaphone. No big deal, the price was right and I appreciate your efforts to try and help.

Scott

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »
Scott it's looking real good.  I think you'll like Kent's intakes.  The throttle response should be crisp like a two-stroke (it's amazing what they can do with a 4cyl and engine management these days). 

What size/type fasteners did you use for your steering stops?  I technically don't need mine for Production Class unless the rule has recently changed but I will probably add them after this first race when I have more time. 

Were you able to drill/tap them on the bike or did you have to pull the triple?
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2009, 01:44:50 PM »
Shane,

I drilled and tapped mine while it was on the bike..

See you there...

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2009, 01:54:18 PM »
Sweet - thx John.

Scott when you welded that bung on the Yosh....  Is that Titanium you're welding to?  Or is the Yosh some sort of steel?
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »
Sweet - thx John.

Scott when you welded that bung on the Yosh....  Is that Titanium you're welding to?  Or is the Yosh some sort of steel?

I drilled and tapped as well Shane, there should be pictures in thi build diary somewhere. Stainless pipe, stainless bung.

Scott