Author Topic: Project Hayabusa  (Read 48024 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Project Hayabusa
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 01:25:35 AM »
Scott,

FYI:

Before you start working on a race vehicle it is better and easier to work on one you have cleaned in the last 5 months or so..get rid of the dirt and grime and dig in to the build..

Hope all is well.

J

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »
Plus.......I would make certain those welding bottles in the background are secured..............

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »
Hey Scott congrats on going back to school.  I did the work full time and school full time and it isn't easy and I didn't have a wife and kid at the time.  Stick with it and you will be done at some point and probably glad you did it.

Also have fun on the bike when you can.  My grades always suffered during the spring when the weather got warm enough to ride in Wyoming  8-).

c ya,

Sum

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 12:41:10 AM »
John - I wish I had time to clean the bike. It is on my long list of things to do........

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 04:44:42 PM »
I got my new airbox and air ducts from Kent at Airtech and have started the installation process. Looking at my stock box and my stock ducts this should provide a lot more air.

My injectors have been cleaned and calibrated. I had one injector that had a "fair" pattern and was flowing a low volume of fuel. The other three were good, all are now excellent.

Stacks installed

My plan for a fuel tank

The plan in sheet metal

I do not have any tool to bend sheet metal so I cut small grooves where I wanted the bends.

Here is the bottom part of the fuel tank

And the top, it will be a two piece tank

I made four holes with a one inch holesaw and then used a die grinder to complete the job for the filler neck.

Here is the tank with the filler neck welded in. I will wait to weld the rest of the tank until later this week after the rest of my fuel bungs show up.

Here is the tank on the bike

Tank and airbox

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »
I do not have any tool to bend sheet metal so I cut small grooves where I wanted the bends.

Bike is looking good! 

If you have some angle iron and c-clamps, it's easier and faster.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 05:19:38 PM »
Scott get some short stacks for the middle cylinders. you dont need those long stacks for what you are doing.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 06:07:14 PM »
Scott get some short stacks for the middle cylinders. you dont need those long stacks for what you are doing

+1
Fred, ya beat me to it!

4 short stacks will yeald more HP at the top, slightly less in the low end but will make more overall peak on the top.

Well worth the effort to find 2 more shorts.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »
24.95 for a pair from schnitz racing, I think it is a pair. :?
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 12:09:34 AM »
Scott get some short stacks for the middle cylinders. you dont need those long stacks for what you are doing.

Thanks Fred, I had already put my feelers out for some yesterday. Today a friend from another site is sending me some for the price of the shipping.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 12:10:52 AM »

Bike is looking good! 

If you have some angle iron and c-clamps, it's easier and faster.

I think I understand, but maybe you could fill me in to make sure.

Scott

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »
Scott,

Looking Good..

Those after market ram air ducts may not be legal when viewed by some inspectors, I can't recall who it was showed up in a naked class and was told to remove them..Bob M or Jon W..?

J

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2009, 11:20:53 AM »
Seems like there is often somebody on one of these sites to help out, I have had people give me parts and pay the freight, even though I tried. lots of good people. :cheers:

Fred
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
Scott,

Looking Good..

Those after market ram air ducts may not be legal when viewed by some inspectors, I can't recall who it was showed up in a naked class and was told to remove them..Bob M or Jon W..?

J

I guess the rules are always changing, or at least the interpretation.... several have used them to set records... they do not add aero, they are like the roadsters with the intake sticking out in front... a way to get clean air to the motor...

On the other hand, you may hate your gas tank position.  It looks like it will make your tuck a lot harder.  We had one in that position, always worried about the gas seal being disturbed by the rubbing leathers.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2009, 01:44:26 PM »
Scott,
We also run an Air Tech air box, we were told that in the "naked" classes, the ram air tubes might "direct air around the front of the bike" and thus were illegal. We took them off for that event but came back the next year with a "stubby" set of ram air tubes that did not extend past the rear edge of the forks, no problems with tech, we just cut down a stock set of tubes.
-Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man