Author Topic: A2 WIND TUNNEL SPEED REPORTS  (Read 20519 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: A2 WIND TUNNEL SPEED REPORTS
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 09:30:07 PM »
There is an article about Gary and the car in the 1990 ( I think) Speedweek program (year either way I am not sure as am on way to speed week, not home where I have one)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline t russell

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 09:58:57 AM »
Dave thanks for the info.
terry

Super Kaz

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »
A2,
DON'T WORRY ABOUT JOHN N. He's Mean to everyone even his Friend's :roll:!
I hope to be another one of Your Company's Success Stories,as I want to bring my Bike and I down there so bad it Hurts :mrgreen:!
I know the NHRA PSB V-rod's have spent a Ton of time in the Tunnel{not sure who's though :?} and it really shows!
I'm bringin a Knife to a Gun fight racing my Worlds Fastest HD V-rod :cry: so Aero is what I'm after :mrgreen:!
I was CAT 1 TT Champion and helped develop Scott aero bar's,Time Clipless pedals,and HED Disk wheels,and few Other speed parts!
So I make a Very good Test Pilot :wink:!
Hope to meet you All real soon,
Kaz..........

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 04:40:57 PM »

I'm not too worried about John... I was giving him a hard time too. 

I welcome you to call and speak with me about a test for your bike if you have some time, or you're more then welcome to stop in for a tour of our facility if you’re ever in the Mooresville area.  Teams (NHRA and more) are finally learning the value of wind tunnel testing, and thanks to A2, it's not just for the big $$ of NASCAR and F1 anymore.  It's like engine dyno's... years ago they were not used nearly as much and now you rarely a racer who has not been to the dyno.  The wind tunnel is to your vehicles body as a dyno is to your engine.  It is used to tune, validate, and quantify changes that are being made in order to optimize the performance.

That’s interesting that you raced TT and have worked with some manufactures that test in A2 from the bicycle side. 
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Super Kaz

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 11:02:13 PM »

I'm not too worried about John... I was giving him a hard time too. 

I welcome you to call and speak with me about a test for your bike if you have some time, or you're more then welcome to stop in for a tour of our facility if you’re ever in the Mooresville area.  Teams (NHRA and more) are finally learning the value of wind tunnel testing, and thanks to A2, it's not just for the big $$ of NASCAR and F1 anymore.  It's like engine dyno's... years ago they were not used nearly as much and now you rarely a racer who has not been to the dyno.  The wind tunnel is to your vehicles body as a dyno is to your engine.  It is used to tune, validate, and quantify changes that are being made in order to optimize the performance.

That’s interesting that you raced TT and have worked with some manufactures that test in A2 from the bicycle side. 

A2,
I also had the HIGHEST VO2 MAX ever recorded by Dr. Golding at UNLV with an average of {86.8 MLS/PER KG 198% above Normal 8-)! Now I'm into Mechanical Powered Bikes as I'm writing History with my Turbo V-rod or going Broke trying :wink:! I know the importance it's the time and money I'm Lacking :oops:.
Hope to talk with you soon,
Kaz...................

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »
I know there are many people that don't know their vehicle’s CD and would like to get a good baseline without spending hours in the wind tunnel.  I am throwing around the idea of a 3 run package deal for first time customers, which will allow us to calculate where you stack up and get wind tunnel data without the 2 hour minimum that we currently have.  This would also allow you to have an A2 speed report with all required data for our program.  Take the guess work out of what your think your vehicle is and get a more accurate measure of what it really is.

3 Run Package: $250 First time customer
Run1: Baseline- as you race to have a comparison
Run2- Change1
Run3- Change2
www.A2WT.com

Super Kaz

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 12:20:35 PM »
I know there are many people that don't know their vehicle’s CD and would like to get a good baseline without spending hours in the wind tunnel.  I am throwing around the idea of a 3 run package deal for first time customers, which will allow us to calculate where you stack up and get wind tunnel data without the 2 hour minimum that we currently have.  This would also allow you to have an A2 speed report with all required data for our program.  Take the guess work out of what your think your vehicle is and get a more accurate measure of what it really is.

Run2- Change1
Run3- Change2

A2WindTunnel,
What about shipping [my motorcycle],and flying in? :?
Whats the closest Airport as the Fuel Cost and Time might be Cheaper/Easier then towwing all the way from Vegas :??
I'm VERY Interested I just don't have THE TRAVELING MONEY :oops:!
Or I would have already been there :-(.
What about referrals?Do you have any referral Deals? :|
Thanks,
Kaz............

McRat

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 01:04:59 PM »

Run2- Change1
Run3- Change2

Is there a weight limit?

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 01:47:41 PM »
Charlotte NC (CLT) is the closest airport and is about 30-40 mins south of the wind tunnel.  Sometimes you can find deals at Greensboro, NC (GSO) which is about 1 hour north of the wind tunnel.  I'm not sure what it would take to ship a motorcycle here, but that might not be a bad option for you to look into.  A lot of cyclist ship their bikes and fly in for test.  I know it is much easier to ship a bicycle, but you might be able to find a way to get it here for much less then you making the haul from NV.  Or find several motorcycles to come out here with you and bring one trailer to split the travel costs.  You can call me (Dave) with the referral question you have? 704.799.1001

Our balance has a 4200lbs weight limit.  What is the weight of your vehicle?
www.A2WT.com

McRat

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »
Current truck is 6000lb.  Looking to downsize.

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 02:05:19 PM »
I went on your site and saw your Diesel truck.  I'm guessing that is what you are wondering about getting in?  We have had full size trucks in the tunnel, but not quite that heavy http://www.trucktestdigest.com/PDFfiles/SEMATonneauStudy2007.pdf.  Do you plan to lighten it up?
www.A2WT.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 03:07:07 PM »
Arrrggghhh...........

I got excited when I thought the title of this was "AZ Wind Tunnel"; then I saw it was "A2 Wind Tunnel".

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Blue

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 03:47:14 AM »
Run2- Change1
Run3- Change2
I would like to put in M2c here for anyone taking the trouble to go to a wind tunnel to do 3 to 5 other test points:

1 degree nose up
1 degree nose down
1 degree right (or left)
nose-up/right
nose-down/right

Measure side force and weight on wheels at each point.

Moment (normal force) data from these points vs. your CG may save your life.  At Bonneville this year, at least two vehicles diverged from controlled "flight" and crashed due to aerodynamic instability in pitch and yaw.  I am not a life-long LSR practitioner, however I do know aerodynamics.  I saw an alarming number of aerodynamically unstable vehicles on the salt, and was even told of rules that led (unintentionally) in the direction of instability.

It is important to understand the interaction between vehicle mechanical and aerodynamic stability.  We can have a marginally mechanically stable vehicle at low speed that is stable as aerodynamics take over at higher speed.  We can also have a mechanically stable vehicle at low speed that is aerodynamically unstable and never know it until it hits the speed at which the aerodynamics overpower the mechanics.  Then we have a problem and no time to solve it.

NOT a simple subject.  At the risk of sounding arrogant, all LSR teams above 200 mph need to do more analysis and testing.  By that, I mean real-live stability and control derivative math, and real tuft testing.  Everyone I talked to thought they knew where the air was going on their cars.  Not one knew:  by my standards, anyone who tells me that their air is going more than 45 degrees off of the direction of the oil streaks needs to do some testing.  The biggest names had no better idea than the smallest.  Test, dammit.

Yarn tufts are the simplist test and will scare the pants off of most builders.  That's why you should do it.  With all due respect (and I DO respect them) to the highly experienced members of the LSR community both inside and outside of the governing bodies: qualifying a mechanically stable vehicle at a given speed is no guarantee that 10 mph more won't lead to an aerodynamic instability causing an uncontrolled departure (crash).

Analysis isn't a guarantee either.  I would suggest that any vehicle with a CP ahead of its CG in yaw or pitch should not be allowed to run above 200 mph.  This would be a more formal expansion of the ruling against "dustbin" fairings on bikes.

M<HO

Super Kaz

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 10:21:11 AM »
Charlotte NC (CLT) is the closest airport and is about 30-40 mins south of the wind tunnel.  Sometimes you can find deals at Greensboro, NC (GSO) which is about 1 hour north of the wind tunnel.  I'm not sure what it would take to ship a motorcycle here, but that might not be a bad option for you to look into.  A lot of cyclist ship their bikes and fly in for test.  I know it is much easier to ship a bicycle, but you might be able to find a way to get it here for much less then you making the haul from NV.  Or find several motorcycles to come out here with you and bring one trailer to split the travel costs.  You can call me (Dave) with the referral question you have? 704.799.1001

Our balance has a 4200lbs weight limit.  What is the weight of your vehicle?

Dave,
Thank you for the info and I will be intouch :wink:!
We Might want to start a caravan Thread to see who all would be interested?
If I had the Money I'd be there Tommorrow :oops:!
I know {from personal experience}what an ASSET your information will be :-o.
Talk to ya soon,
Kaz....... :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 12:51:28 PM »
Blue;

Thanks for the post. Do you know of any affordable computer programs that can analyze airflow, even in 2-D?