Author Topic: Post record flathead (four) question  (Read 2540 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Post record flathead (four) question
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:02:26 PM »
Pardon my inexperience  :mrgreen: but:

Is this sufficient to seal a V4F after a (potential) record to allow further runs without a teardown?

The flash washes out the slot cut into the head stud.

More to follow.

TIA

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
Re: Post record flathead (four) question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:40:53 PM »
I'd say no, because it looks like the nut & stud can be removed as a unit. Unless there is something preventing the stud from turning. I don't know if the stud is just threaded into the engine or has a head on the other side.

IMO

Matt

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:49:13 PM »
Whew!  Long day, late night...

Two studs coming up!

Thanks.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
I took out one pan bolt that was drilled through. They put the seal in the hole. Couldn't remove the pan without breaking the seal.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »
Thanks, Rich.  We thought of that, also, but as little as the two of us like crawling under that full-fendered A, we didn't think anyone else would like it either  :-D

It ended up looking like this:

Figured that if the power that be doesn't like the way it's wired, it could be redone under his direction.

Mike

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »
If you set a record and during impounds you want to continue to run or be re-inspected for an additional class you will need to be sealed. The only thing you will need is the 2 holes you have drilled. The SCTA impounds rep or Dan will apply the seal using their wire and lead seal so it would be best to have the wire you have shown out of the holes. Don't lose the paper work given to you and remember to return to impound before you leave the meet to make the record official.

During your vehicle inspection for running a question maybe asked concerning a place to seal the engine as it is one of the slots on the back of the form. As an inspector I never asked if a place was provided and really didn't care. I felt that if a competitor felt they were going to set a record they would definately make the prepation such as you have done...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro