Author Topic: Fire extinguisher certification  (Read 9350 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Fire extinguisher certification
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:02:23 PM »
I need to get my fire extinuisher certified in my car before WOS. Can the local fire dept do this? Is this accepted by the SCTA?

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline RichFox

Re: Fire extinguisher certification
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 03:07:42 PM »
I don't know the answers to your questiones but here I just looked in the phone book under "Fire extingusher" and saw many companys with State licences to certify and service fire extingushers. I call the guy and he comes over with a truck equiped to service extinguishers. It used to cost $20 but now he does it for free 'cause he digs the car.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 03:10:18 PM »
Make sure you take your rule book so they comply to it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:40:05 PM »
Glen, All I see that is applicable to certifying/filling is the requirement for a current sticker. I wanted a state licensed inspector so that I had a good chance he would know what he was doing. But he can only inspect the bottle. Installation is up to the installer (you). I'm not sure what I would be showing the inspector in the rule book? Glad to learn.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 03:48:45 PM »
Rich, are you missing a page in the rule book, `PG.33, 3Q thru pg 34 Lists the types and weights of the agent used and not to be confused with the weight of the bottle  etc. He asking for certification not installation as I read it.

Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
OK Glen maybe I am missing something. My guy can only certify that the bottle is full and within date of it's pressure check. He can't certify that I have chosen the right extinguishing agent or correct weight for the car I'm using it in. Nor could Deist if they didn't know what the bottle was for. That's what inspection is for, I believe. If you send your bottles to Deist or check them locally, all your getting checked is the bottles as far as I know?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »
the fire extinguisher guy checks my bottles at the shop when he is done he hangs a tag on them --the tag has the date and type of agent --the tag is for inspection and filling not mounting--mounting should be what the manafacture of the system reccomends    --another good reason to build a motorcycle    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »
Well maybe, but a Packard powered Vega is dumb enough. Putting a Packard in a Motorcycle is just to far out there. I'll keep the fire bottles

Offline jdincau

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 07:58:53 PM »
Rich,
     My problem here in the antelope Valley is that none of the commercial extinguisher maintenance company's will touch anything that doesn't have a UL certification sticker. Neither of my bottles, one Diest one Firebottle, have them. I assume they just want to cover their behinds.
Jim in Palmdale
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 11:09:07 AM »
We use our "discount coupons" when we get the bottles re-certified.  A framed picture of the vehicle with a "Thanks for helping us go 000.000 mph".  Usually costs me 3 to 5 dollars a bottle now, and fun to see the car on their wall.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records