Author Topic: Help! Need tire shaving info!  (Read 7576 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Help! Need tire shaving info!
« on: April 24, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »
Hey board
 I have recently, ok November, acquired a tire-truing machine and need help with figuring out the best “shaving” method. Details are unclear about the machine. It seems to be of 50’s era construction and is well made. To “true” a tire, you install the wheel/tire assembly onto a shaft and crank up the spinning drum to contact the assembly and start spinning the tire. At the other end of the machine, is a high-speed rotating, circular knife that is mounted onto a pantograph platform that swings this rotating knife in a pre-selected “arch” as you “true” your tire. The rubber is cut off in strips as apposed to ground rubber dust like they do in re-treading.
 As I intend to race a motorcycle this year over 200mph, No one shaves tires for motorcycles anymore. This is why I bought this machine. I understand the ‘concept “ of shaving tires is suppose to make a tire safer, and I know how to use my machine. I just need input. I have also had inquiries to shave tires for other competitors.

1)Mr. O’Daly, the new rules on motorcycle tires require 2/3rds of the tread removed (up from 50% removal from long time rules) Please define “TREAD”. Is this lip-to-lip? Or is just contact area acceptable? Please give us your insight, and what you will be looking for to tech a shaven tire.
 2)Board, please help with your experiences on patterns, contours, and any other info you can on tire shaving.
 3)I could use contact info about people who use to shave tires so I can get their input.

The end result is about safe tires. Any info will be greatly appreciated!
 Yours in sport
 Kent Riches

Offline k.h.

Re: Help! Need tire shaving info!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »
Kent--

Nylon fabric shrinks when hot, expands when cold.  Shave nylon belted tires when hot.  Rotating the tire under a tree of infra-red lights should do it.

Shave poly and kevlar (aka aramid) tires when cold.

Physically round radials can be shaved.

I'll look around for some telephone numbers and see if an old timer or two has some input.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by k.h.:
  Kent--

I'll look around for some telephone numbers and see if an old timer or two has some input.
I spose you could try o'l Doc Gilette  he seemed  to know a thing or two about shaving   ;)
slower than most

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
Hello, Scott.  Did you get the PM I sent?  I also tried your email but might not have the correct address.

jon@infodestruction.com
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Ken Walkey

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 12:42:00 AM »
For tire shaving you might try Nate Jones, Nate Jones Tire, 1865 Redondo Ave., Signal Hill, Ca.90804,
  562-597-3369, or Fax, 562-597-2640
 He does most of the LSR tires for Bonneville. I think he has the same type machine you are describing. Good luck.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 11:25:00 AM »
I get my tires done by Nate Jones.  He's been pretty responsive and helpful.  For instance, last year when I needed one not long before SpeedWeek -- he did it up and had it delivered to me at the Salt by Earl Wooden since Nate and his son weren't going to get there until a day or two later.  Nate visited us at the pit a couple of times to check on how the tire was working for us, too.  

He's got enough experience to ask simple questions (ideal for a simple guy like me) when I call him:  Where are you going to race?  How fast are you expecting to go? --and then use that information to influence the final shape of the contact patch and the surface of the rubber.

I'll let him tell you his prices, but I consider them a bargain -- especially since when I was talking 200mph++ motorcycle tires with Russ O'Daly and told him that I got my tires from Nate -- Russ allowed as to how that was about as good a source as I could have so I'd pass inspection when we get out there.

Best of all was the receipt, made out to "Seldom S. Slim".

Oh, yes -- the phone number above, on Ken's post is correct, but my receipt shows a fax number of 562 290 0304.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com