Author Topic: Ok, so.... water filled tires?  (Read 9148 times)

Offline javajoe79

Re: Ok, so.... water filled tires?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 01:38:02 AM »
-if you build a car or bike for irregular surface think lite on all of the suspension parts that move up and down when you hit a bump and put the weight in the car   ---------willie buchta
That is the norm for our road race cars so I figured the same was true.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 01:41:13 AM »
I can use nitrogen or regular air. I don't have helium so this won't really show me anything except how much the air in a tire weighs.

It was a joke..the Afro smiley would indicate it was all in fun, a joke, comedy, humor, satire.. :mrgreen:

Run Nitrogen when you can, ditch the water idea, helium is for party balloons and at minimum run plain old air if it is all you can put in.

Good luck at Bonneville..

J
Thanks. I figured as much but you used the afro alot so I thought maybe you just use it alot. :) Still new here so I don't really know you guys. You have all been alot of help so far though. Hopefully I will get to meet some of you in October.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 01:42:33 AM »
I can use nitrogen or regular air. I don't have helium so this won't really show me anything except how much the air in a tire weighs.

It was a joke..the Afro smiley would indicate it was all in fun, a joke, comedy, humor, satire.. :mrgreen:

Run Nitrogen when you can, ditch the water idea, helium is for party balloons and at minimum run plain old air if it is all you can put in.

Good luck at Bonneville..

J
Thanks. I figured as much but you used the afro alot so I thought maybe you just use it alot. :) Still new here so I don't really know you guys. You have all been alot of help so far though. Hopefully I will get to meet some of you in October.

No worries and for a while I thought you were putting me on.. :wink:

Take care and see you on the salt. :-D

J

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:11:53 PM by panic »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 09:25:44 AM »
I'm surprised it's not specifically prohibited.

If you ban it you would have to ban full size pig hood ornaments, towing advertising banners, seeing if you could jam 25 college students inside and go 200 mph . . .

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 09:38:04 AM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:12:06 PM by panic »

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »
According to Denis Manning when he talked to the Goodyear engineers, it is the centrifugal force of the air in the tire that pulls them off the bead. The pressure buildup blows the tire when it gets to about 425psi. He uses a 3 piece wheel that clamps the bead to stop the first problem. Anything heaver than air at 100psi would be a real big problem.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
Sorry, missed your point?

No, you didn't. When I posted that I was basing it on a pretty firm conviction that no one has ever done it, and no one will.

Ok, I will concede the point that someone could do it. The centrifugal force from the water would blow the tread off at a very low speed.

Does that mean they should address this? Should tires be checked for water? All it would do is add meaningless work for the tech inspectors. If they had been checking for water last year that would have meant checking over 2,000 tires. All without water.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 05:48:35 PM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:12:21 PM by panic »

Offline maj

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 06:44:39 PM »
i have a john deer tractor that i use here on the ranch it has water in the rear tires it just makes the tractor heaver and it gets more traction --it also has wheel weights in the rear and a weight in front but not on the wheels --i have driven it on the street to a friends house to disc his back field --top speed with all of the weight being slung around most of the time out of balance is around 35 mph--if you build a car or bike for irregular surface think lite on all of the suspension parts that move up and down when you hit a bump and put the weight in the car   ---------willie buchta

I have tractors too , water in the wheels at any speed other than slow would be something you would only try once..if lucky you may survive..

Offline reckon

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 12:31:19 PM »
the way I understood this,...was an old stock car "cheat",...you'd go to weigh in with your car just WAY too light, and with water filled tires you'd make race weight minimum,..then switch to air filled tires during the race, and somehow switch BACK if you won, so you'd make post race inspection.

I never thought anyone ACTUALLY DID THIS, I thought it more of a coffee shop myth.

"you can fix anything, but you can't fix everything"