Author Topic: Ok, so.... water filled tires?  (Read 9134 times)

Offline javajoe79

Ok, so.... water filled tires?
« on: August 07, 2008, 01:10:52 AM »
 Does that make any sense to anyone? My boss proposed the idea and I want to say I have heard it before but maybe not. Can anyone think of any benefit to this? In my world, road racing, unsprung weight is bad. Is it also bad for an LSR car, or is extra weight on an LSR car only good when it is sprung?
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline isiahstites

Re: Ok, so.... water filled tires?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 01:14:52 AM »
Does that make any sense to anyone? My boss proposed the idea and I want to say I have heard it before but maybe not. Can anyone think of any benefit to this? In my world, road racing, unsprung weight is bad. Is it also bad for an LSR car, or is extra weight on an LSR car only good when it is sprung?

Maybe I am wrong but would the bead on the tire not be put under a lot of stress and potentially unlock with the rotating mass if this happened? On the other hand I hear they put water in the tires of tractors.

Scott

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:17:06 AM »
Which course are you going to be on at Bonneville..? :mrgreen:

Actually the smart racers run Helium (until the prices got to "high") to make the vehicles lighter..takes less hp to keep em moving.. :-D

Me I stick with the free stuff, air, Nitrogen if I can borrow some, hard to give back when done however..matter a fact Jason owes me about 90 psi (40 front and 50 rear) for my bike..

Nobody runs water in their tires (intentionally)

John

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:21:20 AM »

Maybe I am wrong but would the bead on the tire not be put under a lot of stress and potentially unlock with the rotating mass if this happened? On the other hand I hear they put water in the tires of tractors.

Scott
I don't know. Maybe. If it is under pressure though, it should be the same as air, only heavier. As for tractors, they do it for traction. They also fill them with a high density foam so that they don't go flat when puntured.

615-210-1605

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:23:31 AM »
Tires are designed to be pneumatic tires. The air pressure acts as a spring that gives you compliance both in compression and shear when turning. In other words, the tire sticks to the ground while the vehicle is moving both horizontally and laterally.

What you are proposing would turn it into a hydraulic tire. Water does not compress so all the things a tire is designed for go out the window. You would be running a solid tire. Might as well put a fork lift tire on it.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:23:46 AM »
 The helium thing is all but pointless it seems. Once under pressure, I think the weight difference would be almost nothing.
615-210-1605

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 01:25:35 AM »
The helium thing is all but pointless it seems. Once under pressure, I think the weight difference would be almost nothing.

Ever weigh an empty tire versus one filled with 40 pounds of air... :mrgreen:

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 01:27:16 AM »
Tires are designed to be pneumatic tires. The air pressure acts as a spring that gives you compliance both in compression and shear when turning. In other words, the tire sticks to the ground while the vehicle is moving both horizontally and laterally.

What you are proposing would turn it into a hydraulic tire. Water does not compress so all the things a tire is designed for go out the window. You would be running a solid tire. Might as well put a fork lift tire on it.
Agreed. But don't some of the streamliners use solid tires? Or are the solid tires only on non wheel driven cars? Let me say that I am not proposing this, just putting it out there. It seems like trouble to me, not to mention extra work.
615-210-1605

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 01:28:58 AM »

No, have you? I will try it tomorrow though.
615-210-1605

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 01:30:48 AM »

No, have you? I will try it tomorrow though.

Make sure you have a rather low amount of humidity when weighing the two for an accurate test.. :mrgreen:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:33:25 AM »
Have you weighed Noonan's head when it's full of hot air versus a complete vacuum? :mrgreen:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 01:33:50 AM »
i have a john deer tractor that i use here on the ranch it has water in the rear tires it just makes the tractor heaver and it gets more traction --it also has wheel weights in the rear and a weight in front but not on the wheels --i have driven it on the street to a friends house to disc his back field --top speed with all of the weight being slung around most of the time out of balance is around 35 mph--if you build a car or bike for irregular surface think lite on all of the suspension parts that move up and down when you hit a bump and put the weight in the car   ---------willie buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 01:34:49 AM »
Have you weighed Noonan's head when it's full of hot air versus a complete vacuum? :mrgreen:

Shhhhhh :-D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 01:35:07 AM »
 I can use nitrogen or regular air. I don't have helium so this won't really show me anything except how much the air in a tire weighs.
615-210-1605

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 01:37:47 AM »
I can use nitrogen or regular air. I don't have helium so this won't really show me anything except how much the air in a tire weighs.

It was a joke..the Afro smiley would indicate it was all in fun, a joke, comedy, humor, satire.. :mrgreen:

Run Nitrogen when you can, ditch the water idea, helium is for party balloons and at minimum run plain old air if it is all you can put in.

Good luck at Bonneville..

J