Author Topic: Reducing displacment to fit a smaller class?  (Read 5629 times)

Offline gearheadeh

Reducing displacment to fit a smaller class?
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »
Years ago I saw what on 1 side looked like a small block chev but on the other a ford flathead with a tunnel ram intake? They used the aluminum flat head to seal off the block on 1 side because it was now an inline four in a v8 block.Iam interested in techniques to seal off ports without welding, and how to balance out the crankshaft?.Plus longevity concerns! Bet these unbalanced engines really come apart big time if the blow!.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline SPDRACR

Re: Reducing displacment to fit a smaller class?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:46:57 PM »
Gearheadeh, My father (Russ eyres) and I(Eric) built that motor and many versions of it over the years. We currently have two, one mech. fuel injected, and the 2nd is turbo charged with a FAST electronic fuel injection. Both have gotten records at El Mirage dry lake in recent seasons.They are stroked 350 Ci Chevy's, using the even side only. Standard 90 degree cranks, and conventional camshafts, motors are completely dynamically balanced, but are odd fire, so at certain rpm's the do shake!!! We have thought of building a new SB2 style, but to many current projects. for the longest time it was a easy 3 litre engine, but lots of new 3 litre alternatives these days. The flat heads covered an aluminum plate that bolted to the block and intake manifold.If you have any questions come see use at Bonneville( entries ,832,866,131,2) or look for a San Diego Roadster Club member, they will point us out. thanks Eric eyres
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:54:09 AM »
Eric,

Thanks for the info...

J
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:21:46 AM by John Noonan »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:30:19 PM »
Gearheadeh, My father (Russ eyres) and I(Eric) built that motor and many versions of it over the years. We currently have two, one mech. fuel injected, and the 2nd is turbo charged with a FAST electronic fuel injection. Both have gotten records at El Mirage dry lake in recent seasons.They are stroked 350 Ci Chevy's, using the even side only. Standard 90 degree cranks, and conventional camshafts, motors are completely dynamically balanced, but are odd fire, so at certain rpm's the do shake!!! We have thought of building a new SB2 style, but to many current projects. for the longest time it was a easy 3 litre engine, but lots of new 3 litre alternatives these days. The flat heads covered an aluminum plate that bolted to the block and intake manifold.If you have any questions come see use at Bonneville( entries ,832,866,131,2) or look for a San Diego Roadster Club member, they will point us out. thanks Eric eyres

more here..............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvilleother/page%205.html

Sum

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:20:24 PM »
That's what I like about this place. 

Ask a (semi-off-the-wall) question and get the straight scoop directly from the horse's mouth (so to speak).  :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:48:03 PM »
I wonder if someone in the future will use the new technology that allows your V8 to run as a 6 or 4 cylinder (in quite a few new vehicles) to change displacement classes, that is if you could prove that your is really running as a 6....maybe pull the plug wires?
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »
I wonder if someone in the future will use the new technology that allows your V8 to run as a 6 or 4 cylinder (in quite a few new vehicles) to change displacement classes, that is if you could prove that your is really running as a 6....maybe pull the plug wires?

JH,

Not good enough..

Just pull the pistons and rods..

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 01:11:52 AM »
I'm with John, As all racers are allways honest. Show me the empty holes!!!
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

dwarner

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »
Or the opposite, a running tag engine.

DW

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »
I did it the old fashioned way.  Wanted to Run E/CGALT  but also wanted a Small Block Chevy Platform.  Hmm 265 was the smallest and not strong. (and still to big for the 260 cu. in class max)
 So to the drawing board.. Hmm Just get a SBC Block and Destroke the crank.

Our final displacement was 255.6 Cu In.   Runs good on the top end. Weak below 3500 RPM's  But pulls like a banshee from 4000 to 8400.. We are not sure about the longevity but hope she stays together for a few more records at Maxton and then B'Ville 2009 in a differnat Body Style.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com