Author Topic: rookie rule--------------------  (Read 13473 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: rookie rule--------------------
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »
Speaking of "rookie" runs, I haven't heard anything to the contrary, but don't bike racders need multiple runs (nowadays) to upgrade licenses?  That's the way it was last year -- since the ease of buying a bike that'll go 175+++ fresh from the showroom.  It was felt that folks that are new to this avocation should have to show a real amount of riding ability before being allowed to fgo through the lights at full pin on a liter or bigger bike.  It might take half a dozen runs to get the B license, but it's all seat time and experience.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 09:39:11 PM »
slim the way i read the book you can run between 125 and 149 on your first pass and get a D license --rookie run over--run 2 go between 150 and 174 and get a C license--run 3   go between 175 and 199 and get a B license---all of that is if you do good on each pass --the starter can make you do any part or all of it over --ask Jo coddington ----willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »
Yes, Willie -- that's what the book says.  But I know that last year Tom Evans and some others on the M/C committee were asking new riders to make multiple runs to advance from one class to the next.  It wasn't a 100% rule, though -- I asked if I'd be required to make multiple runs over 250 (as if I could get that fast!) to get my AA license, and they said that the rule was to be applied at the discretion of the starter and other officials.

I'll ask around tomorrow if I can find anyone that might have the answer for sure.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 12:31:50 PM »
Yes, Willie -- that's what the book says.  But I know that last year Tom Evans and some others on the M/C committee were asking new riders to make multiple runs to advance from one class to the next.  It wasn't a 100% rule, though -- I asked if I'd be required to make multiple runs over 250 (as if I could get that fast!) to get my AA license, and they said that the rule was to be applied at the discretion of the starter and other officials.

I'll ask around tomorrow if I can find anyone that might have the answer for sure.

The problem is that a person with no racing experience, or very little motorcycle experience, can buy a turbo 'Busa and in three runs be licensed to go well over 200mph. That has led to a couple incidents. To help with this, the M/C people will have the discretion to ask a rider to make multiple passes in the license speed range if they feel the rider doesn't have the experience required.

Matt

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »
So since we're on the topic and I haven't made it to a Rookie meeting yet and haven't noticed it mentioned in the rule book, will our ECTA "A" licenses (on a bike) count for anything in regards to licensing being a Rookie bike pilot at Speed Week? (yes I know it's nobody's decision on here I'm just wondering if anyone has seen or heard anything that's been done)

I know the ECTA accepts an SCTA license but recommends (requires?) a less then wide open "rookie" type run for track awareness & acclimation. I think its a 175ish run on an A/AA license just to get a feel for our shut down hook. (I haven't been on the rookie orientation ride in a while so I'm not positive). And I know other licensing is reviewed on a case by case basis which I think is fair.

Any thoughts, ideas, knowledge, experience, rumors on the topic?

Thanks!
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 01:50:32 PM »
Deb
All first timers are rookies on the salt. It's a different world and one needs to get a feel for the traction etc. Past riding on dirt or paved tracks react totally different. The length and turn outs to the return roads on each course are different. No way  to judge the speeds after shut down except for mile markers and a couple of cones (yep cones) about 1/4 mile apart. We have to be careful as you will see it's a different world. The rookie meeting is very important. :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »
Deb,
  At Speed Week 07 they required all Hayabusa riders that had not made a pass at a Bonneville SCTA/BNI event previously to start the licensing process from the beginning regardless of prior SCTA licensing.  From all I have heard, the same is true for this year. 

The rookie run is for anyone (other than 'Busa pilots) that has never made a run at a Bonneville SCTA/BNI event and must be made on the short course.  If you run in excess of 175mph and are approved (175 sticker) you have permission to run the long course if you wish.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 04:48:45 PM »
Ummm thanks and now I'm a little more confused!

If someone will lend me a bike to license up and it is not a busa, right now there is a slim chance I can license on a gixxer 1000 or a zx14, if I get somewhere between 175 & 200 and then get offered a ride on a busa am I going to have to go back to 125 on the busa just cause it's a busa? And what about the ZX14's? Shouldn't they be treated the same way?

I fully understand the surface is different and I know all about the Busa syndrome, it's been discussed with me at length, but I was just wondering if the fact that some of us have decent experience elsewhere with the speeds would be considered. In the example above a new rider can buy a turbo busa and run over 200 in 3 runs. I'm just wondering if we will be treated exactly the same regardless of proven past experience. (yeah yeah I know, that should force me to run twice as many rookie runs! lol)

(really it doesn't matter to me one way or another, I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect!  :-D )

I appreciate your input....
Sign me slow lane short course rookie Deb!  :-D

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 07:23:41 PM »
if I get somewhere between 175 & 200 and then get offered a ride on a Busa am I going to have to go back to 125 on the Busa just cause it's a Busa? And what about the ZX14's? Shouldn't they be treated the same way?

If it were like Speedweek 2007 I would expect to and be surprised if they didn't make you.  The understood reasoning is the majority of all motorcycle LSR incidents in resent years have been Hayabusas.  Recognizing the popularity of the Hayabusa for LSR it would stand to reason they would be involved in more incidents.

Knee-jerk reaction to a serious problem.  As Momma always said  "Better safe than wadded up in a ball".
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 08:57:07 PM »
hmmmm, that's an interesting twist. So I guess it would be logical that if you intended to ultimately run with a busa then it would be best to license up on the busa and do it all at once unless you really want the extra seat time. So is there a special sticker for busa riders to know which have been through the official busa licensing? Just asking since you mentioned that a prior achieved license didn't count for a busa. Is this just a regular busa or is it more intended for the turbo busas?

auughhh, so many rules, so little time!

Thanks again for the input. I guess I better bring a pen & paper to the rookie meeting so I can get good notes on which sticker is needed when and for how long! I'm already lost... can I get a tour guide?  :-D

Deb

Offline willieworld

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 09:01:23 PM »
deb --if you have never ran at bonnivelle before you are a rookie--you have to go to rookie orientation --that will be on monday this year right after the monday drivers meeting--all will be explained there--your state drivers license is good to 125 mph--you must have a current state drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement--your first run is a rookie run you are limited to LESS THAN 150 MPH --that would be your rookie run and a license up grade --after that it is up to the starter- regardless you will have to upgrade your license in 25 mph increments---i dont know about your ecta license ---i know when i went to bonneville the first time they honored my el mirage license --but i still had to make 1 pass from the rookie lane and keep it under 150 mph ----see you all saturday      willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »
Deb,
  Willie summed it up, see what they say at the rookie orientation.  I explained what they did last year, who knows what will happen this year.  The pen and paper sound like a good idea!

We are planning on attending Rookie orientation and spending a couple days making license passes with our SCTA/BNI Bonneville event Rookie.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 09:45:27 PM »
Thanks guys. The Rookie stuff is much as I expected & gathered from what I've read, I was just trying to figure out this busa specific stuff since it seems like it may require some extra runs just based on type of bike. It's all a little weird and I know I for one would be disappointed if I licensed up on a different bike and tried to switch to a busa only to be sent back to rookie status! (I mean if I didn't know that up front) My main race bike is a busa but I'm the kind of person that given a choice would ride something smaller while getting a feel for riding on the salt. (I'll be eyeballing pit bikes to borrow as a starting point!  :-D )

Well really it's not a big deal for me either way as I don't have anything lined up! I'm just hoping I can hijack a pit bike for a few minutes just to see! I'm trying to understand as many of the ins & outs as I can before I get there. I know I'm going to be a bit lost so the more I can understand now the better off I'll be. (not to mention I have to tame Todd and guide him through all of this while I'm learning it myself!  :-o )

Is it time to leave yet??!!!

So boosta, who's your rookie rider?  8-)
Deb

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 11:49:36 PM »
.............. In the example above a new rider can buy a turbo busa and run over 200 in 3 runs..........

4 runs at least. Run 1 = 125-149. Run 2 = 150-174. Run 3 175-199.  Run 4 200-249.  Also you couldn't move to the long course till after the 3rd run as on the second you can't run the 175 at the 2 1/4 that would qualify you for the long course.

c ya Sat. afternoon.  We will call you on the way up and get instructions on how we get back on I80 west from your hotel,

Sum

racin jason

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 01:09:10 AM »
Deb,

Bonneville is a different sandbox and has different rules. Follow the rules to the letter and you will be fine.

I have witnessed many rookies argue with the bike inspectors, starters and SCTA officials. The rookies that argue get special treatment for the week if you get my drift.

Best to maintain a low profile ask questions when you are unsure and listen to the answers.

It's a different world on the salt. Go easy on the throttle, easy off the throttle and easy on the turnout.

Now go make some history. :-)