Author Topic: rookie rule--------------------  (Read 13478 times)

Offline willieworld

rookie rule--------------------
« on: August 05, 2008, 02:36:45 AM »
i swear when i went through rookie orientation at bonneville i was told that you cant qualify or set a record as a rookie---HELP --------i cant find that in the rule book   HELP     willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: rookie rule--------------------
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:19:12 AM »
Willie, I don't see anything about rookie/records.  I looked in the very front of the book -- where it talks about generic rules, as well as in the bike section.  I'm afraid to look in the car section -- someone might accuse me of consorting with Satan if I page through the four-wheeler part of that book.

I thought that a rookie "could" set a record, assuming licensing requirements aren't an issue - and neither is anything else.  For instance, if the record he's running on is in the 125-149 range he could make a pass that'd qualify him for the "D" license -- and also for impound.  Then go back the next morning and back up the run (now allowed to run anywhere up to 174) and there you have it -- a record for a rookie (assuming he makes it through Warnerville).

If there's language that states "No records for rookies" -- all of my speculation will turn into dust.  We'll see.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:45:21 AM »
In 2003 Steve Knecum came to Bonneville for the first time on a brand new bike. He made his orientation runs on the short course then qualified for the long course. It took a few days but he qualified and set a record Wednesday morning and was introduced as a new member of the 200 MPH Club Wednesday night. We shoulda stopped there. lol

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:35:41 AM »
Willie
     Are you sure you are not confusing Bonneville with El Mirage? At El Mirage you can't set a record running from the rookie lane.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
Jim is correct. Read your El Mirage Procedure manual.

DW

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:39:08 AM »
i know that at el mirage you cant set a record from the rookie lane--well actually you can i saw it done in june but thats another story---im talking about bonneville--and i know it takes 2 runs to set a record but last year at speedweek on my rookie run i went faster than the record --i went to impound (although i was told in rookie orentation you cant set a record if your a rookie  ) i thought maybe i misunderstood and didnt want to take the chance of loosing the run---in impound i was told "wasnt that your rookie run GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE "  thats how i remember it ---its only fair to tell you that ive had a stroke sence then though-------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
Rookies can qualify for a record return run. I know because I did it in 2005. They did put an "R" sticker on my helmet, but that was about it. My record was an open one under 125, so no licensing was needed.

I know, cherry-picking. But I was a salt virgin so I started out small.

Matt Shuss

LittleLiner

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 01:32:22 PM »
. . . .  I'm afraid to look in the car section -- someone might accuse me of consorting with Satan if I page through the four-wheeler part of that book.

consorting with Satan. (?)  Admit it Jon.  We know that you are the current record holder in the E/CPRO class at Maxton.  I think that was on four wheels unless you got Dan's Camaro to do a wheelie through the traps.  Was that your rookie run on four wheels?  Did you have trouble stopping without a chute?   :lol: :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »
C'mon, you've seen those stunt drivers that get the car up on two side wheels and drive a mile or so.  Maybe I did it that way, hey?

Yeah, I admit - we've even invested in a (used) firesuit for those opportunites when we're offered a ride. 

And no, the car isn't equipped with a chute, although I wish it were, so I could have pulled it.  Did you ever see the Nish family streamliner barstool run at World of Speed?  Cec McCrae, their crew chief, pilots the stool, and he does deploy a chute at the end of his runs...at a speed darned near 50 mph!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 10:34:34 PM »
O K guys here is the real deal --jim jensen call today and i asked him the question --can someone qualify for a record on there rookie run --answer NO you have to make one run as a rookie after that run then two more runs to get the record --if the starter thinks you need to make more than 1 rookie run you cant qualify for a record on those runs either ---my memory isnt as bad as i thought   willie buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 05:14:48 AM »
O K guys here is the real deal --jim jensen call today and i asked him the question --can someone qualify for a record on there rookie run --answer NO you have to make one run as a rookie after that run then two more runs to get the record --if the starter thinks you need to make more than 1 rookie run you cant qualify for a record on those runs either ---my memory isnt as bad as i thought   willie buchta

Willie - That's how it was explained to me at SW last year. You can not qualify for a record on a rookie run. Last year on my rookie run I went faster than the existing record, I just got back in line for another pass the next day. I made my next pass and qualified, dropped the bike off at impound and made my return pass the next day, got the record and went home.

Scott

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 12:00:46 AM »
that is the exact same thing i did except i stayed until thursday ------  willie buchta

Offline Rocket 534

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »
i swear when i went through rookie orientation at bonneville i was told that you cant qualify or set a record as a rookie---HELP --------i cant find that in the rule book   HELP     willie buchta

Willie, It is confusing, you can't under any circumstances set a record on a rookie run at El Mirage. It is my understanding that at Bonneville, if you were running on a record under 125MPH, you could qualify on that first licensing pass as long as you didn't exceed the 125 needed for your first license.
I hope this is correct, I think I have seen it happen.
Ron Jolliffe

Offline RichFox

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 06:46:36 PM »
I know I did but that was under the old three run rules. I qualified for record down on my rookie pass

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »
rocket---1---you can run up to 150 on your first rookie run --your state drivers license is good to 125 mph ---you can upgrade your license on your first run ---on your first and only rookie run (unless the starter thinks you need more) you can not qualify for a record ---the end    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta