Author Topic: Help speed info needed?  (Read 5497 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Help speed info needed?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 02:27:35 PM »
Turbo..

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Help speed info needed?
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 05:40:05 PM »
IIRC, those ironhead Sportster cases were just heli-arced early (kick start) types with a big layer added next to the tappet blocks for the 3-1/2" bore flange.

You recall mostly correct Panic.... stock cases (nothing else available back then I don't believe), with weld up over tappet block bores to increase base gasket area for the 3-7/16" bore cylinders (this with his 4-13/16" flywheels gave him 92"). Warner's best cases that I've followed and like to be familiar with (IE: think of most, as he built more motors then I have any clue of or can keep up with no matter how hard I've tried), are the 1972 large base version that he changed to after his earlier versions (I believe he built and brought at least three fully assembled motors and a tremendous amount of extra parts to have on hand for his most famous of runs though)... at anyrate, they were most likely of the XLH version as they were fully capable of electric start (not the XLCH kick only cases of the day that so many others were using).
End result... a phenomenal 212.756mph top speed and a record at over 206mph.. all by a very humble and extremely talented man tha has had more ironhead influence on me then any one man!

Well, just got a call that it's National Night Out, so I'm gonna grab the panhead and go give the local cops a hand at letting any local scumbags know we're out there... consider doing the same for your neighborhood.
Todd