Author Topic: Help speed info needed?  (Read 5496 times)

Super Kaz

Help speed info needed?
« on: August 04, 2008, 10:41:58 PM »
Whats the Fastest any Conventional={sit on} HD Motorcycle has ever gone Naked at Bonneville? My V-rod Being a V-Twin with DOHC takes me out of any V-TWIN CLASS SO I ONLY GET TO Race Myself,as I'm up against much more Powerful in-line 4's :oops:! I know Tramp III went 239+mph,but did they ever run it naked? I would like to be the 1st V-rod if not Production Harley ever do do such a thing{200+mph Naked}? I would Love to someday get in the 200mph club,but the minimums are off the charts :-o! Any info or Guidance is appreciated as I want to use speedweek as a PR and R&D Race :mrgreen:
Thanks,
Kaz............

Offline Freud

Re: Help speed info needed?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:38:02 PM »
Seems to me that Warner Riley went 212 in 1974 or 1975. It may even have been 1973.

Scott Guthrie or Todd Dross would know.

FREUD
Since '63

Super Kaz

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 12:21:17 AM »
Seems to me that Warner Riley went 212 in 1974 or 1975. It may even have been 1973.

FREUD

Wow Thats Flyin was that a Real Production based bike?{Stock Frame and Cases :??} or the S&S Nitro Monster? :mrgreen:Looking for my Carrot to chase this time out :wink:
So any input is appreciated.Thanks,
Kaz.........

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:31:16 AM »

FREUD

That number sounds about right to me. It was an iron head sportster base, not sure about the cases. As I remember the rear sprocket was about the same size as the front..

Kaz, you could probably pick up an old iron head pretty cheap. Not nearly as expensive when they blow up!!  :-o
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »
Riley was PS, SKaz, the only speed info you really need is turn the top of the throttle toward you, get your head down, elbows and knees in and hang on.  The bike will do the rest...  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline WildBro

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »

FREUD

I believe he went 199 naked.  He is on the Honorable mention page of the Naked 200 club.
http://www.naked200mph.com/Honorable.html

Bill

P.S.  Kaz, check out the M/BF 1350 class.  But be in impound the first day and be first in line the next am.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:41:03 AM by WildBro »
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Super Kaz

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »

FREUD

I believe he went 199 naked.  He is on the Honorable mention page of the Naked 200 club.
http://www.naked200mph.com/Honorable.html

Bill

P.S.  Kaz, check out the M/BF 1350 class.  But be in impound the first day and be first in line the next am.

Bill,
Thats what I was AIMING For M/BF 1350 Class :mrgreen:!
I know there are just a few classes within my little V-rod's capabilities :cry:.
That being 1 :oops:
Thank's again everyone,
Kaz.......

P.S
I just want a 200mph Club Hat of my own.
Is that possible on a HD V-rod? :?
Any other suggestions? :|

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:39:15 AM »
What's the correct designation for the V-Twin Class -- I'm not familiar with it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »
What's the correct designation for the V-Twin Class -- I'm not familiar with it.

There isn't one..Kaz is referring to Pushrod classes,however for some reason on his bike HD put the cams on top of the engine..go figure..

Offline WildBro

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »
Kaz,
I'm guessing you need about 275 rwhp to push that Vrod naked above 206mph.  You don't need every last bit you can get out of that motor to set your record.  Try to leave with a bike that is together at the end.  Also, USE the gear calc. that I sent you to get the correct gearing.  
And the most important thing.... be ready to go as soon as the bike comes off the trailer.  Leave NOTHING to the last minute.  Your first goal should be to sit on your bike, full leathers, all gear on, fueled, engine running, ready to go...nothing left to do...7 DAYS BEFORE YOU SEE SALT!!!

Good Luck,
Bill

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 12:00:56 PM »
john--the sad part is he thinks its a harley davidson and i dont have the heart to tell him-- he seams like such a nice kid-- LOL -----------see you guys at SW   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Super Kaz

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 12:28:08 PM »
Kaz,
I'm guessing you need about 275 rwhp to push that Vrod naked above 206mph.  You don't need every last bit you can get out of that motor to set your record.  Try to leave with a bike that is together at the end.  Also, USE the gear calc. that I sent you to get the correct gearing.  
And the most important thing.... be ready to go as soon as the bike comes off the trailer.  Leave NOTHING to the last minute.  Your first goal should be to sit on your bike, full leathers, all gear on, fueled, engine running, ready to go...nothing left to do...7 DAYS BEFORE YOU SEE SALT!!!

Good Luck,
Bill

Thanks Bill!
I have the Power{at least  I did on the chassie dyno} it's the OTHER part's I'm worried about :?

J/N,
I was Not asking about Pushrods as I know my Bastard Harley doesn't have them. :-P
I just wanted to get in the 200MPH Club,and that was the Slowest{minimum speed} Class my bike would be legal for.

Willie,
it's OK John Hurts my Feeling all the Time :cry:!
I know I'm the Redheaded Step Child of  Motorcycle LSR :wink:.
I'm in too deep to stop now,but would Race just about Anything if given the Chance :|!
Hope to see you all Real Soon?
Kaz.............

P.S Bill can I call you later about that gearing calculator :??

Offline WildBro

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 01:50:11 PM »

P.S Bill can I call you later about that gearing calculator :??

Sure. 
Do you have Excel on your computer now.  If not, you need to get it from someone local so you can see/use the calc.

Bill

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »
IIRC, those ironhead Sportster cases were just heli-arced early (kick start) types with a big layer added next to the tappet blocks for the 3-1/2" bore flange.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »
You have 275 hp now?
Blower or nitrous?