Author Topic: Production Category  (Read 4123 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Production Category
« on: August 02, 2008, 02:09:52 AM »
Page 71  The last paragraph starts off refering to Hybrids -- but the next to last sentence states that OEM throttlebodies must be used..

Is one to assume that it is refering to ALL producton Vech.. Including  Producton Supercharged that has fly by wire control throttle body?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Production Category
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:20:12 AM »
Sparky,

The rule states that the throttle body "control" SHALL be used..I read that to state the the control must be used and I think in the "spirit" of the rules "they" are wanting the OEM throttle body to also be used..send in a a request for rules clarification to the SCTA if you are going to run in this class, are you planning to run or just inquiring..?

J

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 08:42:58 AM »
Sparky
I think that is referring only to hybrid vehicles.

Production and P/S is wide open to intake changes which includes throttle body.
My old P/S used port throttles and was quite legal.  Of course its been a number of years since I was running that class, but again, I think that wording is just for Hybrids.

Rick
Rick

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »
The complete paragraph refers to Hybrids. The portion you you are asking about is Hybrid specific.

Where are all the Hybrids we were told would flood the salt when the rules were created?

DW

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 01:28:02 AM »
Thanks for the replys---what we are trying to determine is can a fly by wire system be run in Production Supercharged---

(the car is being built by Lund--I am just a resource)

---it has two return springs and is factory set up to fail safe back to idle speeds if any malfunction occours..I will be happy to post to the SCTA-BNI if you pefer Dan---thanks in advance..
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »
If we are talking about the CTS there is no class for the engine. I have spoken to Jay several times already.

DW

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 12:18:10 AM »
We are---

I relayed the no B eng in class to them first thing---and I told them about Mangelli response to me to that effect, when I submitted that question to the SCTA site.

Maybe they are planning on running time only----I do not know---thanks for your respone Mayor!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 05:24:28 PM »
I still have a problem with Hybrids in the production class.  If they can move at all from the batteries on board (no gas motor running) then they have stored up power that the non-hybrid cars don't have.  I know the rules say that they can't over charge the batteries . . . .

Or am I missing something here?

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
The complete paragraph refers to Hybrids. The portion you you are asking about is Hybrid specific.

Where are all the Hybrids we were told would flood the salt when the rules were created?

DW

I think they are still too expensive to turn into a race car (in terms of "bang for the buck") . . . give it time and they'll start showing up . . .

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 06:12:24 PM »

DW

I think they are still too expensive to turn into a race car (in terms of "bang for the buck") . . . give it time and they'll start showing up . . .

I think this has lots to do with it, a Honda Insight is in high demand and expensive relative to a Honda CRX with a pretty good CdA.

In terms or stored energy, I would think it would be easy to swap the NiMh batteries in a hybrid to LiIon if one knew what they were doing with no external signs of it being done for a slight advantage, but how much would this really help?  Sure it would help acceleration and maybe allow higher gearing, but I bet at the end of the day the car would be running on all internal combustion long before hitting top speed.

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
The experience we have had to date, Toyota Prius, is that the batteries do not last past the 1mile when run flat out. There does not seem to be any interest so at this point there appears to be no need to add a separate class or division to an existing class.

DW