Author Topic: Floor board max thickness and ballast in the frame?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline javajoe79

Floor board max thickness and ballast in the frame?
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:08:26 AM »
 We are brainstorming our C5/C6 Corvette and a thought came up to use a very thick floor. I would like to remove the stock tunnel and floorboards and span the whole cockpit floor with some very thick steel to add weight in the best spot I can think of. My boss said 1/2" but that seems really excessive to me. I would think 1/4" cold rolled would be good. I can imagine this being a threat to the drive in the event of a big incident but I can also imagine it being helpful. I didn't see anything in the rule book or in a search here. Any thoughts? I can only guess this has either been done before or is not allowed.

Also on the corvette the frame rails along the cockpit floor provide a tempting cavity to fill with ballast. Would filling them with lead be crazy?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 12:11:09 AM by javajoe79 »
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
Re: Floor board max thickness and ballast in the frame?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:31:34 AM »
Lead has been used inside frame rails in many cars. Some melt it and pour it in. A simpler way is to pour hundreds of lead BBs into the rail and then seal them inside by welding a plate over the hole.

Obviously you'll want to make sure that the ballast absolutely cannot come loose if things ever get "exciting".

Ballast that can be relocated in the pits can be handy. Ballast that can be relocated during a run has helped Chuck Salmen set records.

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 12:56:26 AM »
This has been done already by more than 1 vette, not an issue at all. These are not the droids we're looking for.........move along.......move along.

See you on the salt
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:17:29 AM »
This has been done already by more than 1 vette, not an issue at all. These are not the droids we're looking for.........move along.......move along.

See you on the salt

Both of these things have been done?

Any thoughts on the floor thickness?
615-210-1605

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 01:20:51 AM »
Car 42 uses 3/8 or 1/2". Can't remember for sure. Just sandwitch it between the basic floor board. I'm not sure how the C5 is laid out though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 01:25:53 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:08:29 AM »
I used 3/8" cold roll for the floor and firewall. The C5 floor is flat so it was just cut out the old and weld in the steel. The tunnel is steel and the frame rails at very strong so it makes a very strong platform.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »
I used 3/8" cold roll for the floor and firewall. The C5 floor is flat so it was just cut out the old and weld in the steel. The tunnel is steel and the frame rails at very strong so it makes a very strong platform.

Firewall too huh? Interesting. On our other road race cars, we remove the fiberglass firewall and replace it with a flat piece of stainless spanning the lower A pillars. It makes alot of extra room in the engine bay. Did you do something similar on you car?

I was thinking of removing the tunnel all together. It would give more room for the driver cage mostly but for alot of other things too. Only draw back I could think of would be sealing the torque tube where it passes through the firewall.
615-210-1605