Author Topic: Wire-mesh inner fenderwells?  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Gary Perkinson

Wire-mesh inner fenderwells?
« on: April 18, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »
Hey, everyone:

As I get ready to drop the 302 into my Pinto's teeny-weeny engine bay, a little lightbulb has gone on over my head. If I cut the inner fenderwells out (which is legal in CGALT), and then replace them with flexible steel or aluminum mesh material (in other words, with the stuff they use to make window screens), it seems like I might be able to kill three birds with one stone:

1. I can shape the mesh fenderwells to accommodate headers (which is very difficult with the regular inner fenders in place);

2. I can take advantage of the cool air coming in around the wheels and up into the engine; and

3. I can keep the salt out.

Anyone ever tried this?

Gary   :eek:
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Wire-mesh inner fenderwells?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »
I would think the window screen is way to thin for what you have planned. There is a lot of turbulance in the wheel well area and I doubt if it would stop much salt sprey or dust from getting into the engine compartment. It would be difficult to mount without some kind of doubler. Any flexing would cause tearing around the holes for mounting screws. Just my thoughts
 Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

4janey2

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 09:02:00 PM »
Sometimes the salt is wet and will go right through your screen. However you could use the screen as a form and lay up fiberglass on both sides to make the screen rigid and keep out the wet salt.

Ken Walkey

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 09:13:00 PM »
You must consider the weight of wet salt. You could have as much as 50-100lbs. collected in the well area at the end of a run. With a  non supported "mesh, window screen, etc." type well, I'm afraid would not do the job.

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 11:42:00 PM »
Thanks, guys. I like the fiberglass idea--it might give me the best of both worlds....

Gary
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »
Take the time to make the "tire side" as smooth as possible. Spray them with "Pam" or some other release agent. Helps with cleanup. Wrap the headers with a protective insulation and if possible attach metal heat deflectors to the fiberglass panels....Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline John Burk

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 10:54:00 PM »
Does salt build up in the wheel wells at 250 mph like it does at 50 mph ?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 11:45:00 PM »
Depends on how wet it is.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 12:52:00 AM »
not on a lakester or a roadster
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »
Gary, the first year I ran at Bonneville was 1998, and the salt was pretty wet.  After towing 750 miles back to Vancouver, Washington, I started cleaning things up.  To my utter astonishment, when I crawled under my tow vehicle, the entire rear end housing had a 3" solid layer, or crust, of you guessed it, NaCl.  I still can/t believe how much salt can glue itself to a nut or a bolt, let alone a inner fender panel.  I was in tech one year when they wouldn't let a brand new streamliner run because of inadequate tire to inner fenderwell clearance for this very reason.
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »
Next time pay more attention to the storms and drive out of your way to some rain.
 Even after you thinkit is clean.
 I am certain that Locktite is colored salt juice.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »
Thats why it's called wendover loctite. It works well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 05:19:00 PM »
On the way home last year -- after being on the Salt for the Bub's event, which was very wet, and for two other events. one of which was wet -- we drove through rain, snow, sleet, and slush.  A couple of weeks after returning, having driven the truck a few hundred more miles in inclement weather ---

I went under the truck to do an oil change I had to chisel my way through the salt to the drain plug!

Best solution I've found for getting rid of the salt?  Measure your vehicle's height, plug air inlets and exhaust, and park for two or three days in a fast-running creek about a foot deeper than the rig is tall.  And hope the Department of Natural Resources doesn't ticket you for polluting.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 07:22:00 PM »
After going to the salt some 40 times over the years one finds out how much work it is to clean up the vehicles, all including trailers. On my truck I pressure wash it before I leave. I also spray it with SALT-X with a Hudson spreyer. I put on a lot of the mix. I then use a mixture of oil and thinner to spray all of the suspension parts, another good coating. When I get home I rinse with a garden hose to get off most of the salt, usually takes two or three applications for best results. I then pressure wash again and re-apply Salt-X to the whole undercarrage. There is usually some paint touch up as well. It's time consumming but worth the effort.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

4janey2

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 08:30:00 PM »
I first raced in Production class in 1985 and I didn't clean the car when I got home (I just didn't think). It sat outside for two years when I went through a divorce. When I came back to the car to race, the salt had taken its toll. It was easier to scrap the car and start over.
 Now when I return, the car comes apart and gets a thorough cleaning. The push truck gets replaced every 2 to 3 years, so I don't clean it as well. I have never used Salt X how is it? I would use diesel oil to spray on but it becomes a magnet for dirt especially at El Mirage.