Author Topic: Safe Stopping Distance.  (Read 9180 times)

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
Safe Stopping Distance.
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »
Here in Australia the Queensland Timing Assocation is investigating a couple of airstrips to hold a landspeed event at.
 Problem is, on average, these airstrips are just a little over a mile (1600meters) total length. One at 1640meters, the other at 1711.
If thay were to run a event over the kilometer, would 600meters be enough distance to stop a 200mph car or bike in :?
I realize that Maxton is a mile course, what distance dose it take to stop saftly there :?
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Safe Stopping Distance.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »
      About .9 mile total shut down at Maxton with first turn off about .5 mile after finish/timing traps.  Many fast bikes [up to 250-60 range] use the first turn off regularly, it has a somewhat larger radius sweep than the very end of long shutdown.  Others use long shut down.

Buddy with a 2400# roadster makes the first shutdown turn easily with chute and rear wheel brakes [GM] from 150, without the chute feels more comfortable using long shutdown and coasts a long way before he starts to brake when he takes that route.   Had no problems making first turn off with his 2900#  [larger motor] street roadster with front and rear brakes [GM] with out using the chute from 150.  Faster cars also use first turn off regularly.

Pretty much all depends on speed, vehicle weight, aero, braking capabilities, and driver/rider comfort level.

There are some links to videos [from both cars and bikes] of Maxton runs here on other threads. 

Good layout of the course from an air view on the ECTA-LSR.com website.

Ed Purinton

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:09:50 PM »
Also the Texas mile only has about a 1/2 mile shut down but it's wide & straight. Maxton has a slight right turn at the short shut down so it changes the dynamics slightly. Personally I think the short shut down is at slightly less then half way through shut down. Here's the overhead of our track:

Texas has had it's share of racers off of the end of the track. It happens when there are circumstances that make the shut down less the optimal.

Maxton has also had a few cars off the end when there have been brake or chute issues.

The shorter the shut down the more important brakes & chutes become and the less room you have for error. Also driver/rider shut down skills become more important.

More is better but the shorter can be done. I guess you really need to be looking at/considering what is at the end in the event someone does go long. Sooner or later someone will!
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:39:28 PM »
Ok, I forgot I've had this question before! Todd reminded me that the last time we were at maxton he measured the distance from the traps to short shut down on the GPS and it came out to .36 of a mile. So yes, the traps to short shut down is less then half of the full shut down.

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
Ok, I forgot I've had this question before! Todd reminded me that the last time we were at maxton he measured the distance from the traps to short shut down on the GPS and it came out to .36 of a mile. So yes, the traps to short shut down is less then half of the full shut down.

Deb

If I'm figuring right the .36 mile would be almost the same as the 600 meters.  Sounds like it wouldn't leave much room for error on a 200+ mph car unless it was running more of a drag chute vs. a lsr chute.  How long are the shutdowns at the tracks where the 200 mph drag bikes run?

Sum

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:00:30 PM »
You also have to ask what happens at the end? What is past the 600 meter mark? If the asphalt transitions to smooth dirt you might be able to have someone run off the end at a somewhat lower speed. If the end is a concrete barrier then you really can't risk it.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
--read debs post again ---.36 to short shutdown ---total shutdown almost 2 times that  or did i miss read it  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 07:50:47 PM »
I am not sure what the distance from finish line to the trunoff at short shutdown is.

But the entire shutdown is 4700 Feet,, that is just at .9 of a mile hard surface shutdown.

The Short shutdown is supposed to be .4 mile  but Todd D would know best if he used his GPS..

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 08:13:13 PM »
--read debs post again ---.36 to short shutdown ---total shutdown almost 2 times that  or did i miss read it  willie buchta

Willie I'm stupid, what point are you making?

Sum

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »
none---hay is that a pipe bomb on your pocket or are you just happy to see me   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:25:13 PM »

Since that was right after my post, I wasn't referring to here. The question was about an Aussie airstrip.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 05:52:39 AM »
Thanks for the comments, thay are being read not just by me, but the people here in Oz that are trying to get this gig up and running. :-)
My understanding is that there is a grass run off area at the end of the bitumen, how long this run off? i dont know.
Most drag strips have a "minimun" braking distance of 1320 feet (400meters). I have noticed lately that the Nitro Harleys (heavier), since getting faster, are useing a lot more distance to stop.
As somewon posted, it really dose depend on vehicle, weight etc 8-) 

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 09:23:17 PM »
I have run at the Texas mile, and in a car with production brakes but good rotors and race pads you can stop ok at up to 180-190 mph but when you get over 200 mph you better have a suppercar or a good parachute (preferably both). I have seen quite a few cars and some bikes run off the end at Texas. At maxton the long shutdown is even longer than you need unless there is a problem.
I hope this helps a little.

Mike Reichen
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 02:43:58 AM »
I read on another thread that Texas has about a half mile shut down length. Half a mile = 800meters, ummm makes 600meters look very short :roll:, going to need a big anchor with a strong chain :-D

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »
LSR specific cars are generally lacking in the brake department. If the plans are to run the mix of vehicles like you see at Maxon and Texas the longest shutdown you can have the better.

DW