Author Topic: APS forward vision rules?  (Read 2783 times)

Offline agjohn02

• New folks
APS forward vision rules?
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:04:09 AM »
Hi all,
I have searched this forum extensively for the answer I'm looking for but cannot seem to find it.

I am in the process of designing a special construction, partially streamlined motorcycle and have a question regarding the required forward vision in this class. I see in the rulebook where it gives requirements for streamliner forward vision (7.H.7) but none for partial streamliners. How strict are "they" on front tires/neck/forks being in the line of sight? Are there any requirements for PS?

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I will have many more questions in the future as this is my first ground-up LSR motorcycle build. Great forum!

Offline willieworld

Re: APS forward vision rules?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:27:57 AM »
welcome--in the special construction class in A you have 2 choices --you have A which is special construction -and APS special construction partial streamlining--the streamliner S is a different class than A  ---just build to the special construction A rules --7.G--then add partial streamlineing --7.G.11--if you can take pics and post your build in the build diaries then if you have questions we can better understand what you are doing --if you havent already get a 08 rule book ---- good luck and hope to see your build --------------------willie buchta

it helps us to know what part of the country you live in also -------------------
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:33:00 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »
Since it is a sit-on class, it is expected that you can see forward.  While there is no rule, before you invest a lot of time and money, you might want to submit a design to the motorcycle committee for a ruling.  You will need to be able to see where you are going, are you planning a periscope bike...  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:05:22 AM »
I've seen more than a few A/PS bikes where the rider looks through a relatively small windscreen mounted in the nose piece (but there's opaque 'class above the top of the window), and far more A/PS bikes where the rider looks over the top, or through a windscreen that is clear to the top edge.  I don't know of a specific "number of degrees of vision" that's required.  Perhaps that's because in many bikes the rider has the option of sitting up to take an obstructed look (I say that with tongue in cheek -- sitting up at 2 bills isn't necessarily the correct thing to do).

I'd agree with Stainless or Willie and ask that you consider posting a sketch or photo of what you've got in mind so we can try to help.  Also consider going to the SCTA website and posing your question there in the "rules questions" area.  You should get a definitive response that way.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:54:42 PM »
Since it is a sit-on class

No, it is not.

The position that the 5050 streamliner that Nick Rock pilots head first, face down would be legal in Special Construction. There was a guy that ran a Suzuki years ago that ran that position.

Or lay down, feet first in the case of mine.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline agjohn02

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 03:01:01 PM »
Thanks for the input. I was thinking something more along the lines of these two bikes. Where the neck and fork tubes are pretty much blocking vision directly forward of the bike in the full tucked position. Our rider last year had pretty limited vision forward when tucked and said he had no problems following the lines out of his peripherial vision.