Author Topic: Turbos and Nitro..............  (Read 7497 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Turbos and Nitro..............
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 01:55:12 AM »

When Precision Auto was talking to Fast Electronics about which system to use on the 222 car they mentioned a car using nitro and one of ther systems making 4500 hp. I assumed it was turbocharged.

JL222

I assumed wrong its a roots type blower. The guys at Precision Auto thought thought nitro would be real hard on turbine wheels as the nitro burns so far and hot in the exhaust.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 02:07:26 AM »
I tryed to feed a 698" blown alky chevy with a Fast system once and ended up going back to mech. inj.. 16 nozzles, 4 pumps and 4 days on the dyno.
I don`t think they make nozzles big enough or pumps for that matter. It took a room full of batterys just to keep the pumps running. And we had to separate the dfi from everthing else that was 12 volt.
Nitro would take alote more, I just don`t think its possible. I could be wrong, anybody seen it done?
                                        sign, Boom Boom.

We will be using a waterman cam driven fuel pump to get around the electrical drain (on our new Fast system) as we don't have an alternator, just 2 batteries.

JL222

Offline promachine

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
That seems to be the ticket. Good luck!
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »
I tryed to feed a 698" blown alky chevy with a Fast system once and ended up going back to mech. inj.. 16 nozzles, 4 pumps and 4 days on the dyno.
I don`t think they make nozzles big enough or pumps for that matter. It took a room full of batterys just to keep the pumps running. And we had to separate the dfi from everthing else that was 12 volt.
Nitro would take alote more, I just don`t think its possible. I could be wrong, anybody seen it done?
                                        sign, Boom Boom.

We will be using a waterman cam driven fuel pump to get around the electrical drain (on our new Fast system) as we don't have an alternator, just 2 batteries.

JL222

Another trick to avoid power coupled noise, is to run a decent sized capacitor for the FAST.   Does a nice job of smoothing out the rpm spikes caused by other electrical noise on the shared power source.

-scott

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 02:27:27 AM »
If you need a capacitor there is something else wrong. Generally poor grounding either Battery negative as in ground loops poor connections or wire size. You can also have poor grounding inside the ecu. Any system that uses battery - as a sensor return wire would be suspect. Well designed systems have an internal ground plane isolated from battery- for sensor returns(ground sort of). You might also check the altenator as bad diodes will cause all sorts of problems most suspect or me are single wire import ones.
I had a fast system I was called to fix that was firing the ignition with key on engine off and not just one you could hear the coil buzzing away pretty shakey setup in my mind.
Dave

Offline GH

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 09:30:56 AM »
JL, will the cam driven fuel pump have enough pressure while cranking to fire the injecters?

Offline jl222

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 02:33:16 PM »
JL, will the cam driven fuel pump have enough pressure while cranking to fire the injecters?

That was one of my concerns along with primeing because pump is above gas,but they say no problem. Will find out soon, i hope, no parts yet, today or tommorrow . If a problem we'll tap in our existing electric  fuel pump that we use to prime with to pressurise the system.

JL222